Anyone curious how Alonzo does at Indy today? | FerrariChat

Anyone curious how Alonzo does at Indy today?

Discussion in 'F1' started by johnireland, Aug 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Almost no mention of him during qualifying, it is as if he's just another back marker. I'll watch just to see if he shows enough spark to make himself worthy of another shot at F1.

2. Cavallino Nero Rampante

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    ST
    Yes, I'm curious to see how he does and am watching. I just turned it on as they were interviewing Ericson, as it appears he crashed?

3. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    8 laps to go and he is 22nd and lapped

4. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    and he finishes 21st under yellow flag

5. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    With our old buddy Sato winning!

6. Cavallino Nero Rampante

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    ST
    Very aggressive move on his part to pass Dixon and his move around Tony Kahnan got him the win. Well done for Sato, Rahal-Letterman.

Terra and Bas like this.
  7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Do like Takuma, well done to him & Rahal! Isn't Rahal a member here (both of the Rahals?)?

If you guys have time listen to his podcast on beyond the grid, really great interview.

Nortonious, 05011994 and Terra like this.
  8. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    Didn’t 10 or so of the 33 retire and Alonso finish 21?

9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Even Chilton finished ahead of Teflonslow!

10. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    An entertaining race despite the several yellows. I do wish it had not finished under yellow, but so be it. It's great to see IndyCar continue to provide great racing with such an International presence. Admittedly, I was hoping to see Rossi or Andretti pull off the win...ooof, that Rossi penalty so so unfortunate.

I wonder what Alonso could have done with one of those well set-up Andretti cars that were so fast in Quali. Too bad he burned that bridge with Honda.

375+ likes this.
  11. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    The last fifteen laps were good, the rest just a yawn. Congrats to Sato...he played it well and was there when it counted. I have to admit that those speeds for those laps is impressive. But it wasn't any better than F1...just more traffic and harder to tell the cars apart.

12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    No, not really.

Nortonious likes this.
  13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    #13 375+, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Unlike F1 the winning team is not a foregone conclusion; then there is passing for position which happens occasionally in F1. Three wide down the straights at 220+? The action on the restarts was wild, there are some incredibly talented drivers in Indycar these days.

Nortonious likes this.
  14. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    He had worked his way up to 15th and then lost his clutch. After that he was done for. Admittedly he was down on pace to his team mates during the entire event.

The vibe he gave off during the entire event wasn't one that indicated he was motivated to win. He seemed relaxed and content more so than the hungry Alonso we've seen in the past.

15. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    IndyCar is really coming into its own. With Penske now owning IMS I think it will continue to surge (as long as he doesn't go insane and pull a Tony George to set things back all over again).

And oh, the three generations of Andrettis on yesterday's formation lap was very cool.

375+ likes this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 agree. If Roger can persuade Ferrari to come onboard as an engine supplier, IndyCar will pose a genuine threat to F1 as in the glory days of CART.

17. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    It still didn't move me. Looked like spec racing, with random luck choosing the winner. WRC has much more action and exciting driving, and it isn't even wheel to wheel. Plus you've got real manufacturers and private teams. Citroen, Ford, Skoda, Toyota, Hundai, Peugeot, Minis, etc.

18. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Horses for courses ... o_O

You can't compare close racing against racing against the clock.

But I do agree that WRC is exciting (and dangerous ).

19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, WRC is in a decline phase too. Now only two manufacturers stay at the top class, Toyota and Hyundai (Ford is a semi-works, or something like that, nobody knows exactly what they want to do with rallying). Oh, and the cars will be hybrid soon.