Speciale - rough brake discs | FerrariChat

Speciale - rough brake discs

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Tero FIN, Aug 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tero FIN

Tero FIN Rookie

Aug 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tero Sarkkinen
    Has anyone seen rear ceramic brake discs go like this? The surface is coarse. I don't know what has happened. I've had the car for 3 years and took it for yearly maintenance. It came out like this and shortly thereafter the brake pads wore out. I took it to a service, they said the discs look strange. The new pads wore out in less than 100 km.

Now I'm changing the discs - and again the pads. The car only has 18k kms...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Those rotors show heavy use, likely track use. Common for the Challenge car rotors to look like that. Worn rotors will cause extremely high pad wear. Do you not track the car?

Mor likes this.
  3. Tero FIN

Tero FIN Rookie

Aug 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tero Sarkkinen
    Thanks for the info! I have not tracked the car myself. I bought it three years ago and I don't really recall that the rotors looked like that. Also, I drove 3 years without any wear on the pads. But when I now took it to yearly maintenance, it started to eat the pads and I realized that the rotors are not what they should be.

4. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    i would say the fronts have been changed already from track use. The rotor loose resin bonding after heavy use and become extremely abrasive. Without track use they will last for many years, with track use, the life expectancy is not very long. This is my experience with a customer that had slicks on his Scud. The third set of pads only lasted a day and a half of track use. They had been lasting two - three track weekends depending on the track.
    New rotors will take care of the issue.

5. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    Whether, steel, cast iron, or carbon the rotor surface should be smooth. The only option to get normal brake pad life is to replace the rotors.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Makes me wonder if someone washed the wheels/rotors with something that ate the rotors.

7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Carbon rotors are not cheap!!

8. Tero FIN

Tero FIN Rookie

Aug 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tero Sarkkinen
    Yes, rotors are being fixed now, together with new pads. Some 10k gone right there...

9. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    Those looks like rear discs. I would check your ABS/ASR system as it can apply the rear brakes if there's a malfunction. I had a 458 in with similar looking rear discs - turned out the tyre sizes were wrong and the ASR was applying the rear brakes when driving on at highway speeds.