New owner, old belts, no lift | FerrariChat

New owner, old belts, no lift

Discussion in '348/355' started by MrJames, Aug 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    Hi all! I've just realized my long-running dream of owning an F355 Spider. It's a 97, grigio titanio with a red interior and manual shifter. I bought it because this was exactly the configuration I wanted. However...you know how when you're shopping for a classic...anything, they tell you to buy the most put-together, needs-the-least example that you can? I went the other way. My car's body and seats are in nice shape, but the mechanicals have been severely neglected. Among other things, I need to do a timing belt service before it ever goes out onto the road. But I don't yet have the tools needed. Specifically, I'm having a tough time deciding among lifts. I don't know how much clearance I need. Also, I've never owned a lift before. Should I go with mid-rise scissor, full rise scissor, or a two post lift? Or would I be happy enough dragging the engine out while the car is up on jacks or jackstands? My garage ceiling is roughly 9.5 feet. (I am roughly 6 feet, if that matters.) Thanks in advance!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mmckee and Qavion like this.
  2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I'd go with a two post if you possibly can. Or go drop your car off at FoAtlanta.

tatry68 and INTMD8 like this.
  3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I do everything on a 4-post lift.

taz355 likes this.
  4. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    that car looks familiar to me, i had the exact car inspected did you get it from Curated?

5. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    I think it was the one on Autotrader for a while. Last listed at something like $48K.

Mitchell is extra talented and wouldn't struggle pulling the engine in his driveway.

Since you've probably got the room, I'd go with a two post. More access IMO.....

6. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    Atlanta is a bit of a hike, so I think I'll do the lift thing.

7. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    For safety, for convenience, or was it a status quo thing?

8. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    I got it from FC Auto in Virginia. It was sold to them by another dealer and is currently on an Ohio title.

9. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    I ended up getting it for $46.5k. It was apparently originally listed at a laughable $65k, and the price kept going down. Once it got under $50k I couldn't resist any more. I've got a whole page of stuff the PPI turned up, but starting with tires, battery, lid supports. After that it's the parking brake, the belts, the top, and a bunch of other stuff. I'll be thankful if it's on the road by Thanksgiving.

10. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    Yes, I was watching it for a while. Great color. Best of luck sorting - it will be really nice car when you're done with it.

MrJames likes this.
  11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    None of the above.

The four post is stable, does not require brand new concrete 6 inch thick, allows an extra car to be parked underneath the other one, and is very affordable. I have done engine out, clutch jobs, suspension jobs, brake jobs, dropping gas tank, on Ferraris, Porsches, BMWs, Audi, VW, and whatever else shows up.

As for status, that would be for a single post parking lift, or a double wide 4 post lift. Mine is just a puny little Chinese made lift.

taz355 and phrogs like this.
  12. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Neat! I was wondering what that car was hiding as the price kept going down. I'm glad you're here! Keep us apprised of your progress!

tatry68 and MrJames like this.
  13. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Post some interior pics.

14. JasonS

JasonS Karting

Sep 5, 2019
    Green, OH
    Full Name:
    Jason Stropki
    MrJames likes this.
  15. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    Back to 2 posts. Even the cheap ones Maxjack or Danmar M6 (pictured) give you enough clearance. They require minimum 4" of good concrete and half a day to drill the holes, level and setup. I do like the access-ability they offer when working on the car, but it does turn my 2 car garage into a 1 car shop.

phrogs and WATSON like this.
  16. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    Sorry, I was a little vague on the status thing, I didn't mean you bought it to show off, lol. I thought you might've leased/bought something with one already installed. How do you do engine-outs when supporting by the wheels? I thought the rear axle had to come out with the engine.

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    half a dozen threads on how to remove engine with the 4 post lift, some of it is mine. Search and you will find.

MrJames likes this.
  18. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I have that exact same lift (I took all the ugly ass stickers off of it) .... Get the M6 as it has 6(?) stops on the way up.
    The Maxjack does not....either all the way up or on the ground.
    The flow divider on mine sucks so be prepared to deal with offset lifting from time to time. I'll put a better one on it later.

I use it for projects and then roll it out of the way so it does not clutter the garage.
    Currently have the drive train out of an old British car I am restoring.

Next winter I will be doing the engine out on the 355 using it.

Pro tip: Get the wheely cart like @fboutlaw has but put roller blade wheels on it.... way nicer

krazykarguy, MrJames and fboutlaw like this.
  19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL

To be fair, 2 post doesn't require 6 inch thick concrete and you can park under a car on it as well.

20. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Last year I installed a new Rotary 2 post, and it just barely fit into my garage that has a 12' ceiling height. My dealer told me that they make a lift for low ceilings but they have a metal trough that goes from one post to the other for the mechanicals and the capacity rating was much lower. So I opted to squeeze the taller lift in which has the two posts joined together at the top. Another consideration other than concrete thickness and condition is making sure you have 220V in your garage, because the 110V ones they have are REALLY slow.
    Also remember; don't cheap out on the lift or the install. Your life, or someone else's may depend on it.
    Good luck with sorting your "new" dream car.

MrJames likes this.
  21. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    I did, and I did. It seems like an excellent method, but it sadly won't work for me. I have a slope on my driveway, live in an area with an HOA that takes a dim view of car work, and the climate here can be unpredictable.

22. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    Agree with John. My two post is the 10' version from Rotary. It's an excellent lift but not cheap.

MrJames likes this.
  23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    A two post lift is a status symbol for a car guy, especially one with two Ferraris.

WATSON, MrJames and GatedF355GTB like this.
  24. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    Takes one to know one, Mitchell :)

With my skill set I need all the help I can get.....