F8 - Anyone Wrap Their Roof? | FerrariChat

F8 Anyone Wrap Their Roof?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Glenn Quagmire, Aug 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glenn Quagmire

Glenn Quagmire Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    #1 Glenn Quagmire, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    I ask this, because I'm having the roof of my Bianco Avus (white) car wrapped in black, and wondering about what others may have done/encountered with the antenna? The wrap guy would prefer it be removed for a more perfect job. However, both the dealer and a body shop friend with experience working on Ferrari's have indicated that removing the headliner is no small feat. Moreover, I've been told this involves the prospect of removing/breaking/losing clips that can be a major headache...and result in annoying rattles that are difficult to find and remedy.

Any experience with wrapping the roof of a Tributo?

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I had the roof of my 488 wrapped for a bit. It was simply placed on top and it looked fine but I got sick of it after a while and just peeled it off.

I’m not understanding the part about removing the headliner and stuff. Just place the wrap on top on the outside . What am I missing here?

Edit- never mind. Just realized you are asking about the antenna. We just went over it. Covered it on top. Worked just fine. I would absolutely not remove it. If you get sick of the wrap- just peel it off. If you remove the antenna and headliner- it’s more permanent.

gmo28 and Glenn Quagmire like this.
  3. Glenn Quagmire

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    For the reasons you just stated about getting sick of later, I didn't want to have it painted black and wish down the road I hadn't. As I'm thinking more about this, it has me wondering if the satellite antenna only applies if one has the upgraded JBL sound system?? I say this, because many of the 488 pics I see do not have an antenna on the roof. Thus, I guess this thread might be further limited to those that have elected to wrap the roof of a car with an antenna...by virtue of the upgraded sound system. Might be a slimmer audience than I initially thought...

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Someone can chime in but USA has the shark fin, Australia no

Glenn Quagmire likes this.
  5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Removing it makes life easier for him. Would I , no. But then again people have removed side mirrors to cover the door with PPF so there is no joint. Ild bet $100 there are clips on the roof liner. More often than not they break when removal is tried.

6. Glenn Quagmire

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    My luck would be a legacy clip rattle, requiring the music volume to always be cranked.:D

7. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    My 458's roof got painted black by the first owner. I had it polished, then XPEL'd. The XPEL installer said he went through a few sheets trying to do the roof, then finally figured out that the painter put the shark fin on backwards. I later noticed some headliner clips were broken, and paid Ferrari to fix it. Just some small hassles. But I do like the black roof and side mirrors.

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Paint the roof in factory Nero and be done with it. You won't look back. Don't waste time wrapping it as the wrap goes off, marks easily and just looks cheap on the car. I made the mistake once wrapping the roof black on a Porsche and it was supposedly the best stuff available and it didn't take long to go off especially if its parked in the sun. The other big problem with the wrap is doing the top door frame as its a very difficult area with the crease join particularly in getting the wrap back off again once the adhesive bonds.

9. Glenn Quagmire

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    The car is currently at the wrap installer’s shop and they’re about ready to begin work. No doubt the painted roof will look better (especially from three feet away). However, I labored over the decision to have it painted at the factory and ultimately decided that the option the change it down the road was more appealing.

Boomhauer and gmo28 like this.
  10. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I Covered the antenna on my first wrap and it peeled away. On my second wrap - I left the antenna alone so it is red and roof is black wrap. I think it turned out well.

11. Beemer

Beemer Karting

Apr 5, 2016
    Punta Gorda, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I’ve done my Italia. Had to remove antenna and window rails. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Boomhauer likes this.
  12. alibo70

alibo70 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2018
    MS
    Full Name:
    Ali
    Any tips on how to remove the window rails?

13. Glenn Quagmire

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    Looks amazing. What rails?

14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

The rails are on the body the top of the window. Wow they taking these off also to apply the film ?