Standard Motorcycle | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Standard Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Texas Forever, Aug 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I was sort of kidding and sort of not. I know you've got a ton of experience so not really applicable to you but when older guys get motorcycles I wonder how many accidents happen because their minds just aren't trained for the split second reaction. I could be rationalizing but I ride a scooter almost everyday day and I think it helps keep those cat senses active. Even though I had Husky dirt bikes that were 1 down and 3 up on the left side I wonder what my reactions would be like. I can't remember which level I parked my car at the airport sometimes but my bike sense still feel very sharp.

I'm crazy about the Norton by the way. I don't know that I'd want to ride it but I'd like to own it and look at it.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The cool thing about Norton’s is the rubber mounting cuts down on the vibrations, unlike Triumphs. Damn Brits never learned how to split a crankshaft.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Its still a while off but I plan on getting my MC license and I think I'm leaning towards the Husqvarna Vitpilen 401 for my first bike. Its based off the KTM 390 superduke.

They also make thr Svartpillen which is more the scrambler type set up. They off the 401 and 701.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Imo hard to go wrong with a new Triumph they cover so many bases well and look great,
    The most fun Ive had on any bike probbaly since childhood was a ducati Hypomotard. I didnt think it would be my thing esp since I was always a pure streetbike person,but the Hypo is a bike that simply did everyhting well. Nice vibey motor, great control, short wheelbase yet no wobbles or twchiness. Clearly not for the highway and looks may not appeal, but simply one fantastic bike, fun from the moment you start it,and you just want to keep riding..

donv and Texas Forever like this.
  5. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I’ve owned bikes since 1973, go take a trip down to a BMW dealer before you buy anything.

My $.02

TexasF355F1 and Texas Forever like this.
  6. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I rode a BMW RNineT today when I had my R1200RT in for service. That is a very nice bike to ride. Comfortable, great quality, and fun. I really liked it.
    It's unfortunate motorcycle sales are falling as there are so many good ones out there it makes a clear choice in any category a tough call.

donv and Texas Forever like this.
  7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I took a look online. BMW sure is proud of their bikes. Then again, they have always been proud.

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I really want an RNineT Racer... even if I hardly ever ride it, I want to be able to sit and look at it!

9. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    take one for a drive, nothing to loose but $30k

10. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They're around $10K used. I'd want to ride it though. To me, the Ducatis and to a lessor degree Triumphs approach art. The RnineT (not a racer) I rode was a really good motorcycle. Maybe one of my favorites that I've ridden.
    I'm currently on a BMW bender though. I've got a very low mileage 2010 R1200RT that I got a couple of months ago. It's the first "slow" bike I've ever owned even thought I've ridden Harley's a fair amount. I'm loving the BMW thing. Plenty of power, easy around town and just seems to do everything pretty well.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2017-BMW-R-NINET-RACER-5013453289

11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The problem is I have two bikes which already do everything I could want a motorcycle to do... and they're both Triumphs, and the Triumph dealer picks them up for service each year and drops them off. Adding another bike just adds a new level of hassle.

12. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    We need to get 5 or 10 of us to buy cool bikes and just trade them back and forth. I like all of them. Choosing between a Thruxton and RNineT would be a win win.

boxerman, Texas Forever and donv like this.
  13. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have a 2004 R1150RT. Very fun bike for backroads. I just rented a 2018 1250GS for a week and did 1k miles around Colorado. I was totally impressed how well it handled at 70-80 mph in sweeping curves. You should go test ride one

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    First world problems!

Which Triumphs?

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Have to say, the new 20 Thruxton RS seems to hit multiple sweetspots. If I were to buy another bike this would be it or aR9T but Id have to fiund the BMW far more compellign to ride in order to choose it..
    Lately I ride my yamaha radian(bought new and now with3600miles) every week or two simply cause it suits the mission of 4 miles up the hill to vist freinds.

Compared to cars motorcycles from different nations are still really differentiated from eachother and most are focussed toward a certain road and purpose. In that sense theyre like guns.
    I would choose any bike based on intended use/roads looking at the combination of type of motor in terms of charisma, performance and asthetics.

16. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
  17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Sprint ST and Tiger 800.

19. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Thruxton all day and every day. Royal Enfield is an India-made clone. In fact, now that you mention it, I wouldn't mind a Thruxton myself, but really I'd rather have a Street Triple. Had both my bikes out today, and didn't really miss having a third one.

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I want to make a Thruxton look like a Royal Enfield.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Or you could buy a new Enfield from India, theyre pretty good for what they are

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    For less than half of a new Triumph.

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    min hearing they’re pretty good and well built.

the triumph is higher up the performance scale

24. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I doubt my post will help make you make a decision, but here it goes. I'm 62, 5"11 180 lbs, started off a long time ago on minibikes, move up to 125 cc to 175 cc to 250 and finally 400cc - all dirt bikes from Enduro's to Moto-X. Stop riding when I graduated from college. Then took about an 18 year pause, bought a BMW RT1150R. Nice bike, a bit heavy and with a passenger a little challenging in traffic, but kind of boring, sold it after 3 years and 1700 miles. Took another pause for about another 15 or so year pause...Now I own 5 bikes. 2016 CBR600RR, 2020 BMW S1000RR, 2017 S1000R and 2 Suzuki Motocross, a 250 and 400. Of the street bikes I own, in my opinion the S1000R does it all. Has all the power to keep up with the big boys, if you are just getting back into bikes has all the safety features, wheelie control, anti slip, angle, brake, drive modes, suspension modes, auto shifter/blip, reasonably light 460 lbs (wet) and a somewhat upright seating position. You can find them on Biketrader, a nice 2017 for 10K +/- depending on history and mileage.

By comparison, the CBR is an all analog bike, very fast, very old school and quick to kill you. The S1000R is insanely fast and very fun, but in limited doses, Long rides, not so much, although not as raked as the CBR, but by no means can ride at a stretch at our age.

I considered a RnineT, cool looking retro bike, hard to beat the boxer engine, but it lacked some of the safety features I wanted. My neighbor just got a Royal Enfield, another cool looking bike and with safety features, but totally lacking in power, I think it has about 45 HP

Anyways, I am done buying bikes for now, enjoy whatever you get...and please go take a motorcycle safety class, even if you have some experience, it is a good refresher. I took one and and glad I did.

MB

Texas Forever and BoulderFCar like this.