FF turned off at light | FerrariChat

FF turned off at light

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by islandtrader, Oct 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    Just drove my new ff and at a stoplight the car went into neutral and turned itself off. It went into car wash mode. Apparently it has a mind of its own. I know if it needs a car wash but come on. I might be going crazy but it seems the car seems to go out of auto mode randomly.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SECRET likes this.
  2. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Brand new? Or used new? Battery?

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    mine has randomly just shut off a cple times. turns right back on

4. islandtrader

Jun 30, 2013
    Brand new 16 FF, I just put 1k miles on it. It just turned back on with no problem but strange really. Could be battery issues as it was built in Mar 16 and just sat around for 6 months. I put the tender on it and it claims the battery is good.

5. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    I would suspect clutch adjustment over battery. The computers will sense if the clutch is not disengaged at the right moment, and shut off car if they sense excess load.

Your dealer's service advisors will probably nod their heads knowingly and ask to have the car for a day to check adjustment. Been there, done that, precisely as you describe...

6. islandtrader

Jun 30, 2013
    Interesting, I will have them take a look.

7. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Actually it can be just touching the accelerator and the brake at the same time at idle. Touching both will stall it.

SV

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Glad I've not bought one of these lemons ...
    Pete

9. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I have a bit of a different challenge with my new 2016 FF: My gearbox, or I should say clutch gets disengaged when I come to stop (that is like it is supposed), however it forgets to engage the clutch again when I get on the accelerator again so it ends up with 3000 rpm and then "oh, there is no clutch engaged, let's drop one of them" and away I go just like when one uses launch control... Very funny... not...

10. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I am not sure if this is relevant, but my 599 would put its self in neutral at stop lights if you sat there without your foot on the brake for a short time [ about 30 seconds roughly] , if you kept your foot on the brake it would not do this.

11. islandtrader

Jun 30, 2013
    Yes my 458 does that, I think it's a way to not have the clutch overheat. Haven't tried it on the FF,

12. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Have had our 13 and 15 FF "stall" a couple times.

First time, we were on a road rally with our dealer, and our Master Tech was right behind us, and had the DEIS tool in the car with him. As we were coming off a freeway off-ramp (where we had been at relatively high speed for a while), the car just gently turned off...The car restarted immediately and drove fine.

He plugged in the DEIS right there, and no alarms, no codes. He did look at some of the data, his belief was that somehow as I was coasting down, the engine fell under the limits for fuel pressure for just a moment, and turned off in response. (if low pressure is sustained for more than a few moments, it will toss a code). We judged it a one-off quirk. Never happened again in that car. On the 15, while waiting in traffic once when not fully warmed, had a similar issue. Restarted, fine. That's twice over about 12,000 miles.

BTW the DCT gearbox will beep and shift itself out of gear into neutral if you are stopped in traffic, engine running, for longer than (I think) one minute. The old F1 gearboxes (where there was an actual clutch, throwout bearing, et al) had a shorter time threshold.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Are we sure your cars are not fitted with the fuel saving engine off when stopped option. This is common with modern cars. Your press the accelerator and they automatically restart ...
    Pete

14. islandtrader

Jun 30, 2013
    I'm pretty sure. The car went into neutral and alerted me it's in car wash mode lol

15. swede

swede Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Had our '14 stall two times (during ~7,000 miles) when coming to a stop in traffic or traffic light. Annoying for sure, but starts right back up.

16. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    This exact thing just happened to me. 2014 FF 8,000 miles. I started the car up again, check engine light came on for about 15 seconds then went away drove the car for about 40 mins it was fine. this has never happened to me before, oddly I just got the car back from its annual service, dealer had the car for 5 days, maybe the battery? I tender it every day basically and the battery is less than 12 months old.

SECRET likes this.
  17. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    OEM or aftermarket battery?

SECRET likes this.
  18. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    OEM unfortunately , was put in by dealer less than a year ago

19. bearmdjd

bearmdjd Karting

Jul 10, 2017
    Happened to me in my 488. Car died at a stop light and had to get towed because roadside assistance was afraid of jumping it. Some random jacka$$ threw a drink at me and the car because it was blocking traffic (couldn’t put it in neutral without power). It was fixed with a simple battery change, but the car was barely a year old and I never wanted to see it again. I was so pissed off I traded it in a week later.

20. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    What a terrible experience, it's a shame some people don't have decency