430 - Installing valves on my Tubi exhaust | FerrariChat

430 Installing valves on my Tubi exhaust

Discussion in '360/430' started by Andrew Davenport, Aug 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andrew Davenport

Jan 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Andrew Davenport
    Good morning Ferrarichat! I bought my first Ferrari last week and have been getting to know my way around my new car. The previous owner had Maranello in Colorado put in a new Tubi exhaust system with headers etc. and I love the sound, however, leaving for work at 6am I'm sure my neighbors do not. Does anyone know if you can retrofit the valve control system to give you the control over when it screams and when it purrs? I would be very grateful if anyone has done this or can point my in the right direction here.

Daryl Zernick likes this.
  2. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Did the PO give you the original exhaust? If he did the factor tips with the control valves will bolt directly to the tubi

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Andrew Davenport likes this.
  3. Andrew Davenport

Jan 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Andrew Davenport
    Aw man, that was not included. That's a bummer.

4. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    You should be able to find used f430 "tips" with the valves on eBay. If you decide to have your existing set modified, I did a little research because my Fabspeed raceline exhaust doesn't have valves either, you need to be careful as some valves are default open vs default closed. Default open means for about 30 seconds it will still be super loud until there is enough vacuum to close the values. It also means it will fail open, which is why Fabspeed only carries those types of valves.

The other think to keep in mind is what the valves would do. Not sure how the Tubi is setup but, in my case the issue is that with the Fabspeed raceline exhaust, adding valves alone would only let me go from loud to super loud since there isn't a silencer at all in the setup. To add a silencer would essentially be recreating the valvetronic exhaust that they offer for the 360 but not the 430. So I think I'm going to live with loud since it sounds amazing at high RPMs and buy my wife a set of ear plugs for the mornings I start the car before 8:00am. :)

5. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    Measure the diameter of the pipe you want to valve.

Order aftermarket valves in that diameter from Ebay or Aliexpress that remain in the open position for default.

Cut and weld the valves into the pipes and attach the oem vaccum lines at the top.

It works.

6. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Look for reviews on the aftermarket valves if possible. Normal Guy Supercar installed aftermarket valves on his 430 and they were always breaking. I think he ended up giving up. Video on YouTube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

7. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I think he wants default closed, his issue is that he wants it to be quiet by default. Otherwise you have to wait for the vacuum to build on a cold start.

8. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    The F430 pulls the vaccum lines closed on idle to keep it quiet after the first minute.

If you get the closed valves then, you will have quiet first minute, followed by open valves afterwards. Also at WOT they will close, not open.

You need to install default open valves in the system. You can also install a remote valve controller, or Mase Engineering can disable the cold start if you decide to do an ECU tune. Makes the cold start loud for one second, then quiets down right away. No rough idle or anything.

9. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore

Wow I stand corrected, or should I say I was given the wrong information by Fabspeed when I was there a few weeks back inquiring about putting valves on my car.

10. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
  11. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    I've put OEM valves on my 360 (Tubi->Kinetix->Tubi). It did not make as big a difference as I had hoped. Makes sense as the OEM muffler is designed to work with the valves and the Tubi is not.

That said, I've had them disconnected for a while and have been intending to re-activate them. My car is just too loud. :)

12. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I had the OEM valves cut out of the stock system and welded into a tubi, (be very careful on position, they look symmetric but they are not)

very worth it, and yes, they do need a few seconds to close on start up, worth it on a spider, too loud otherwise.

they are not needed on a couple, imho

13. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I have a Tubi exhaust and AP headers on my 430....way too loud. I bought a used OEM exhaust and replaced only the pipes to get the functioning valves and it's made a huge difference! Much more quiet at low throttle and screams at WOT.

The only downside.....the beautiful chromed Tubi muffler is starting to discolor from the heat going through it now.

Sent from my Galaxy

14. Andrew Davenport

Jan 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Andrew Davenport
    I appreciate everyone's input since I have been dealing with a few common and minor issues with the car and this forum is awesome.

Upon looking closer at the exhaust it appears that the valves were welded in when the old owner had the work done for the exhaust. So that's a plus. I was looking at some key fob controlled valve control boxes like the Forza one listed here on eBay.

I have also uploaded photos of the new headers just for gee whiz since I think they are so damn good looking.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    you have the valve
    you have the valves, just need to add some lines to them, easy to reverse, my guess is you will like the valves working

16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    did hooking up the valve work? what headers r those?