DCT life... | FerrariChat

DCT life...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by VG221, Aug 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VG221

VG221 Rookie

Sep 20, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Vito Garofalo
    So I’m the new owner of a 15 F12 Berlinetta with 8k miles... I was wondering what is everyone’s experience with the DCT as far as life expectancy? Any tips to help it last longer? I know to keep my foot on the brake at red lights to keep the clutch disengaged. Anything else I should know? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    my understanding is that they are built to last the life of the car. i have heard 150k miles or so which is more than these cars will ever see

3. Drive it like you stole it.

The DCT will outlive you.

tekaefixe and VG221 like this.
  4. VG221

VG221 Rookie

Sep 20, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Vito Garofalo
    Thank you... makes me feel a little better. Lol

5. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    ‘I know to keep my foot on the brake at red lights” I don’t think you need to do this with DCT.

6. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Yea with DCT it's advised to put in neutral at light

Art138 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I’m not aware of any Getrag DCT design flaw that could jeopardize its life expectancy, apart from the (in)famous sensors that can be replaced.

I’m also not aware of any specific issues regarding the transmission that would lead it to fail earlier than any other mechanical component fitted to the car.

I think a good policy would be to read the owner’s manual carefully to learn more about the DCT’s operation, and change its fluid periodically (I know it’s not absolutely necessary according to the manual, but as with any fluid, it won’t hurt. Quite the opposite).

Warm the car up, drive it like you mean it, take care of it by maintaining it properly. Rinse and repeat. Better things to worry about in life. Don’t let the anxiety over potential failures ruin your very real driving experience.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

8. VG221

VG221 Rookie

Sep 20, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Vito Garofalo
    Thank you for all your responses gentlemen.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I think that perhaps you have confused this with the old F1 single clutch transmission

The modern Ferrari Getrag Dual clutch is completely different and you do not need to put the system into neutral at the light.

there is a dedicated DCT ECU and Ediff. The wet clutch packs will last the life of the vehicle.

The older F1 hydraulic single clutch system was more temperamental. A lot of owners burned out the single dry clutches quickly not understanding how to warm up the clutch and preserve it by modifying their driving techniques.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well kinda. It is still advised to put it in neutral if sitting for a prolonged time at a standstill. However, this is not worth worrying about as the car will do this automatically after a minute or two.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Need4Spd likes this.
  11. The car does it for you automatically if you are on the brakes stopped for an extended duration.

Like it was said above, just drive the damn car.

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Yes go right ahead and put it into neutral at the light.

I prefer to keep mine in first gear.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Uh, that was not what I said or suggested. I said leave it alone and if it goes into neutral, so be it. I'm sure Getrag implemented thjs feature for a reason.

Don't twist my words please. All I said was that it will go into neutral if it sitz in gear for a prolonged time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Just re read the thread more carefully. The question is how to extend the life of the DCT.
    And the issue of what to do at a light.

I believe one is just supposed to keep the car in first gear with your foot on the brake.
    Thats what I do. I don’t usually experience the DCT timing out and putting the transmission into Park mode.
    I’ve never seen it go into neutral when ones foot is on the brake,

Not trying to twist anyone’s words but may have gotten confused with the different various posts.
    If someone here has had problems with the DCT overheating while at the light that would be surprising to hear.

docster likes this.