Daytona Corte & Cosso hood shocks | FerrariChat

Daytona Corte & Cosso hood shocks

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by swift53, Jun 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #1 swift53, Jun 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Does anyone have a flat, high resolution, pre application, photo of the proper decal/silkscreen of the Daytona Corte & Cosso hood shocks? I know this is sort of difficult as the silkscreen is applied, but a really good photo even on the shock will do. We can correct for distortion...
    My Alfa Romeo Montreal uses same. Thank you. Regards, Alberto

© DaytonaRegistry.com 2004
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    they are already being reproduced. try matt at reoriginals. also, greg jones.
    ed

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Alberto,
    Greg Jones has produced some stencils of these which are bit difficult to work with, but might be reasonable to use as pattern for creating decals. And if You produce self-adhesive decals, I'd be interested to buy few pairs.
    Timo

P.S. PM sent.

4. Telerding

Telerding Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    Santa Maria/CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Elerding

5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant

6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    gary bobiloff will paint and stencil struts for you guys. give him a call. he is in so. cali.
    ed

7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #7 swift53, Jun 21, 2010
    I cannot travel with the shocks as security back home is kind of clueless when they x-ray luggage, and would probably confiscate.
    Therein lies the catch...

I can have them made for a few pesos.
    I don't want to take the business away from anyone, but the economics for me, are there. I think the Ferrari world is waaaay too expensive, so I think something for our cars, that for a change will be cheap, is a welcome addition.
    Stickers for the gas shocks would be white on clear vinyl, die-cut. Supposedly, they also last, or so they say. Obviously, I will try them out and see what happens before I acquire any compromises.

The FISPA was made for the fuel filter canister. The art was taken off an original canister, without too much worry about the curvature.Misspells all over the place, but it is just a trial. The scan below, is not to scale, but the sticker itself is perfect in size. The yellow is too pale, so definitely will need to be worked on to make it stand out.
    I will definitely let you all know when I have a sample for your approval. Of course, I still need an original, very good photo, and as level as possible. Exact dimensions are essential.Thank you all for the help. Regards, Alberto

8. toparkt

toparkt Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2006
    orange county
    Full Name:
    Andrew Goetz
    I did some research and there are 3 and probably a fourth label design !!!!
    I would be looking for an early (71) cosso label. It is reported to have a square top ??

Any help ??

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    early 71 daytona hood struts did not have a label. paint struts satin black and you're done.
    ed

10. toparkt

toparkt Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2006
    orange county
    Full Name:
    Andrew Goetz

Re: Hood Strut Labels
    « Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 07:57:23 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is at least one more for sure. That's the small rectangle Corte & Cosso label on the top of the hood strut. This one can be see on the Daytona in Prancing Horse #33. It's a very early USA Daytona Coupe, early 1971 build date. There's another small rectangle label I've seen, but I'm on the fence whether it's original. I'll send it to Paul to post. I only have the one mentioned above in period pictures in magazines and books. But, I've seen it enough to know it's original and correct. The second one in this post is pretty rare. This is the only car, 14383, that I've seen it on. It would be interesting to see what other cars have it.

Steve Hill

Paul
    Administrator

Hood Strut Labels
    « on: May 05, 2007, 01:17:27 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    These two labels are known to exist on Daytonas. But there is suppose to be a third elusive label out there. If anyone has another hood strut label please let me know. Thanks. Paul

11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    andrew,
    -i've seen that label steve is referring to. appears to be original, but as steve says, is very rare. it is not currently being reproduced.
    -check period magazine articles when the cars were new and being tested. you will be hard pressed to find struts w/ labels.
    -check the original factory daytona brochures. do those pix show labels?
    -late 72 and 73 for sure have the large oval label.
    -that label on a 70,71 daytona would give the appearance as a replacement part and "not as it left the factory". totally acceptable for judging though, as replacement(wear items) parts are acceptable w/ no pts deducted.
    this is just my opinion, i'm not a judge, so i welcome more informed input if i misstated anything.
    ed

12. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    #12 shaughnessy, Jul 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
    Ed you are indeed not a judge, and hood struts are NOT specifically spelled out as a replacement part.
    The skinny struts were and are currently supplied by Ferrari as a replacement part.
    Are skinny struts treated similarly as a replacement part ? NO!

A judge can rule either way, and deduct accordingly, at his discression

I am reproducing these rare labels, for myself (not for public distribution)
    "as it left the factory"

Thank you

13. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    tom,
    try to stay on topic. reread my post slowly. who mentioned skinny struts? i was referring to large struts w/ labels vs large struts w/o labels.
    ed

14. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    #14 shaughnessy, Jul 3, 2010
    Ed,

You are making and interperting your own rules.

Like exhaust, Ansa/Abarth, hood struts are not spelled out as replacement items. Deduction(able)

It is up to the judge to deduct for inappropriate use of a label or a stencil.

When I showed the preproduction car 12301 at Cavallino I had stencil struts on the
    car and was open for a deduction.

When the car will be shown at Pebble in 2011, if selected, the struts will be appropriately labeled. The car is off the show circuit til then (and the internet)

Very much on the subject.

Thank you

15. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    tom,
    not making my rules at all. for clarification:
    -if hood struts are not considered replacement items, then hood struts with labels on an early daytona would give the APPEARANCE of a replacement item. judges option to deduct pts.
    - if hood struts are considered replacement items, the labels would be ok, no pts deducted.
    -any and all input welcome.
    ed

16. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    #16 shaughnessy, Jul 3, 2010
    Hood struts are not spelled out as replacement item similarly exhaust systems are not identified, either.
    Lights and batteries are identified. Judges discretion on the deduct.

We go over replacement items in configuration and finishes over and over and over again in the IAC/PFA meeting annually which I have been attending and contributing to for probably the last 8 years.
    Have you attended? It is open forum, anyone is invitied.

Your exact words
    "-that label on a 70,71 daytona would give the appearance as a replacement part and "not as it left the factory". totally acceptable for judging though, as replacement(wear items) parts are acceptable w/ no pts deducted."

17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    tom,
    you're chasing your tail. please read my post #15 for clarification.
    and yes i have attended judges meetings. for my own benefit, not to judge.
    ed

18. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #18 swift53, Oct 11, 2010
    Opinions? Do they pass muster? I am well aware of the slight distortion, but that can be fixed if need be. Or not...
    Regards, Alberto

19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Alberto,
    They're looking pretty good. As long as dimensions are fairly close and distortion addressed before printing them perhaps on non-glossy clear plastic with matte white lettering, I'd say Your there.
    Timo

20. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Practically impossible, as they have to be printed on a solid sheet, not clear as the technology here is not available. In order to print on clear, it has to be silk-screened. The best that we can do is white lettering on matte black material. The distortion, we will try, this being the easier one of the issues.
    The dimensions are 97% spot on, I doubt anyone could tell without a tape measure. If someone has the exact length, that would be great. We measure at 4.75" OAL.
    Regards, Alberto

21. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Alberto,
    white on matte black is pretty good idea. Are You planning to die-cut the stickers prior shipping ? Could be a good idea to do so at the outer edge of the white perimeter line ?
    Timo

P.S. Hurry up ! I got two cars in the shop right now ready for 'em ;-)

22. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I am moving as fast as I can...
    Will be in California, San Diego on the 14th...can hand deliver.
    Do you know someone with great scissors and a good eye?
    Then they will be die-cut. You know, 3rd world.
    Regards, Alberto

23. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #23 swift53, Oct 12, 2010
  24. ossodiseppia

ossodiseppia Rookie

Nov 10, 2016

I realize this is an ancient thread. Does this look familiar?

25. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    not for daytona.
    different yrs used different decals. 2 different styles were used.
    if unsure better to not use any decal.