1984 Mondial QV UK version | FerrariChat

1984 Mondial QV UK version

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Philjay50, Aug 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    As you can see I have an 84 Mondial, I am going through the process of re commissioning it after some time off the road. My question is hopefully a simple one, The engine has three auxiliary belts, water pump, alternator and A/C pump. I cannot find any reference to the engine having three belts anywhere, so I am beginning to wonder if the engine is original? Does anybody know if any other V8 engines has three belts and of course what are they?

2. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Try going to Ricambi America. Enter your model and they will display exploded parts diagrams. It helps to know the assembly number of the vehicle as like all manufacturers they make running production changes which are identified by that number.

Ray

Philjay50 likes this.
  3. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    It would appear that the engine in my Mondial is from 308, I need to check the numbers out.

4. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Hi Philip,

QV has 2 different models engine. 1 early (mondial 8 + QV) with 2 belts and the later one with 3 belts. 2 belts (waterpump, alternator + airco) : 3 belts (waterpump + alternator + airco). So no special model you have. Just a later one.

GordonC likes this.
  5. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Not for one second did I think I had anything special, if I look at suppliers it seems that people only have one or two belt configurations. If you look at Maranello Spares for the Mondial it only shows one or two belts, same as euro parts. Only when I looked at Ricambri America did I think to look at similar aged cars and the 308 showed a three belt system. I will check through again just to be sure.

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #6 Steve Magnusson, Aug 28, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    Euro 308QV and euro Mondial QV use the same engine family -- F105A (or sometimes marked as F105A000). It should be marked on the top of your engine block at cyl #1.

I believe the belt change occurred in late 1983 (and thought I had a copy of the Service Bulletin, but can't seem to find it); however, many earlier cars got updated (when the parts were still available). One thing about the Spare Parts Catalogues is that they don't go back and correct/update them -- so since the euro Mondial QV came out first (like 1982), it probably shows the 2 V-belt design (even though later production euro Mondial QV were built with the 3 V-belt design), but the SPC for a 1984-85 US Mondial QV was created later in time so probably shows the 3 V-belt design. You should be happy you have the 3 V-belt design ;).

Philjay50 and Ray Smith like this.
  7. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Thanks for the info, when I have tried to order these belts in the past nobody seems to know anything about them, I ended up going directly to Gates to obtain them. Several people I know that had Mondial's of a similar age all had Two belts. Indeed there is a thread here somewhere on the topic. Anyway, I am pleased that my engine is probably the one that left the factory. I will try to get the numbers and do a bit of research just for my own piece of mind.

8. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    My QV is late 1982 and has the 3 belts. Somewhere in its live 3 belts constalation is put....where and when I have no idea. From factory I doubt it.

Philjay50 likes this.
  9. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Earlier cars with 2 belts are referred to by Ferrari as single belt (1 belt for water pump and alternator).
    Later cars with 3 belts are referred to by Ferrari as double belt ( 1 belt for the water bump, 1 belt for alternator).
    The ac is always driven by a separate belt.

Ray Smith likes this.
  10. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Ray Smith likes this.
  11. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Ray Smith likes this.
  12. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #14 afterburner, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    Wade and Ray Smith like this.
  13. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Ray Smith likes this.
  14. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Ray Smith likes this.
  15. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Ray Smith likes this.
  16. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Very comprehensive series of responses, well documented and researched. Nice job, afterburner!

17. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Ray you beat me to it, remarkable amount of good information. Many thanks to you Afterburner. I know am a couple more steps forward in getting my Mondial back on the road. I don’t think my engine will be as shiny as the one in the piccys but I am looking forward to just enjoying and savouring the moment. Thanks again for all the info.

Ray Smith likes this.
  18. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Hey, I recognize my car! :D I did the paint mark on the pulley when I did the timing belts, cam seals, and valve adjustments, 6 years ago. Glad the picture is useful!

19. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    You're welcome Gents, and thanks to Gordon for letting me use his 3-belt engine image. I couldn't find its origin else I would have asked you. I don't have a pic of mine. But the conversion was well worth it in terms of AC performance (smoother, a touch cooler, no belt breakages anymore).

20. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Urs as always very complet responses, thanks for that. Do you have the frequency number how to test the driven belts for QV ?

21. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Guido, no, I don't - I tension them as much as I can... for the following reason: When they run, they get hot and expand. Should they start slipping, they quickly melt themselves onto the pulleys. I never had one snap before it slipped. But once they slip, they disintegrate quite fast:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I also change them every 10'000km. When I take them off they often have a kink somewhere which indicates to me that they started to fail internally; this is a view on top of the sheave angle (light gray thin "straight" line) compared to the overall (curved) shape:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

theunissenguido likes this.
  22. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    If I were in the UK, this would be my first stop for new parts and supplies. But then, I've bought from them from here in the States.

http://www.superformance.co.uk/mondial/