Official book collectors thread | Page 121 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Central IN, USA
    That's nuts...too bad I like the book, or else I'd ditch it. Paid a grand total of $31.71 for mine in 2013, great condition other than a missing dust cover.

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The books are being delivered now in sequence. The register will be out later this year.

Rosey likes this.
  3. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Worth around $20 without the dust cover. :) :)

bloomberg likes this.
  4. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Each time I hear 'bible' I get wary. My bible has 1500 pages and is the german edition of the 'New Testament' :)

But talking about Sackey's book; I would never dare to purchase an out-of-print book for such a price. Too much fear that a second edition will be published. There's still a german edition of Sackey's Miura bible widely available. At €39.00 from all the usual places.

Best from Germany
    Martin

5. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    They did publish a second edition and that sold out very quickly too (in English).
    I'd be very surprised if they ever did a third.

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  7. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
  8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Thank you, this is #119.

Dino2400 and Rosey like this.
  9. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    +1 ! Really looking forward to this one! Hopefully it arrives soon.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Nice book on Shelby "the Venice Years" by Friedman was selling for $20 at Half Price Books here....will look thru it during the storm this week and report back.

11. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Central IN, USA
    Great book, and well worth that price. I bought it at the same time as "The First Three Shelby Cobras" which I found to be completely underwhelming.

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    A neat little book from 1962 that I picked up cheaply. 24 full-page color photos of formula cars, from the ERA and Alfa 158 to the Ferrari 156 (a repeat of the cover) and Ferguson 4WD. A few Indy cars in the mix as well. Some photos by well-known types like Klemantaski, Manney, Goddard and Cahier. Each photo had a full-page description (more than a "caption") on the facing page. Still quite a few copies available on eBay.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

amerikalei likes this.
  13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  14. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    If anyone feels like selling their new Miura book for a nice profit, do send me a pm, I missed out by a day and have been kicking myself ever since!

15. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Why don't you register for a copy of the Jota edition. May be cheaper than what you're offering for the standard issue.

16. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    I contacted Kidston after being to late and asked about the Jota edition.

It’ll be very lavish costing as much as 10,000 GBP and limited to maybe 20 copies, so a little too much for my wallet. I’m sure it’ll be a work of art.

17. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    #3017 Rosey, Aug 29, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Wow !! 10,000 GHP !!
    That's serious money for a book... serious money !!
    And I thought I'd spent enough on the standard edition.

18. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
    Yesterday I received my copy of the Miura book. It has an orange cover. Does anyone know why there are different covers red, yellow and orange ?

Hugo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I was wondering that very same thing myself.

20. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    They correspond with the production numbers of the cars: P400s (274) have yellow cases, P400Ss (338) orange, SVs (147 + 3 SVJs = 150) red.

Rosey, jm2, Ferri and 1 other person like this.
  21. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    They seem to be following the Rolex sports models sales methodology of under supply to ensure future products are sold out before release.

GirchyGirchy and Rosey like this.
  22. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    About 15 years ago or so I paid 10 Grand USD$ for Brandon Wang's 250 TR and AM book (the heavy one in the metal case like a gas tank).
    Get over it. It's just money.

Marcel Massini

bloomberg, stevewak and jm2 like this.
  23. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    That was not the intention - the price vs. numbers printed ratio was similar to the Palawan model (who now print far less). And without a full chassis record (to follow before Christmas as The Register), we felt we had the balance right. Buyers will always want the numbers and histories. Easy to end up looking at big stack of very expensive books...

gt4me and 375+ like this.
  24. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    I agree. People have no idea what it takes to write, design, and publish a book, any book. Ending up with a warehouse full of unsold merchandise is no fun and can be financially hazardous. We should be happy that some are willing and able to do this kind of outstanding work. Most of us here were aware of this publication, some acted and bought, and some did not. I'm very pleased with my (yellow) copy, and plan to cherish it for a long time.

Juli, Rosey, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  25. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    Pretty much sums it up, you snooze you lose. The Miura book sold out impressively fast, it could possibly be a record for a sell out too. It’s a good lesson as to why you need to act on day one.

That being said, I really have no issue having to now buy at a premium on the secondary market, as many books in my library have increased in value by double to ten to even twenty fold!

To those who have a copy enjoy! The hunt is on to find mine :)

Juli, Rosey, 375+ and 2 others like this.