360 - Belts | FerrariChat

360 Belts

Discussion in '360/430' started by Enzo Campagnolo, Jul 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Enzo Campagnolo

Apr 17, 2020
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dr. Enzo R. Campagnolo
    I have a 2003 360 modena, and will be bringing it to a reputable Porsche dealer that also works on Ferrari's for the dreaded belt service and yearly fluid change. Since this is my first experience with this type service can anyone provide me with a reasonable quote (range: min-max) for such service. Want to make sure I won't be overcharged. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Probably depends on your location. I'm in Florida.
    I also have an '03 and I had my belts done last year at an independent shop I have used for nearly 20 years and I trust implicitly. Lucky for us 360 owners this is no longer an "engine out" ordeal.

He was fine with me providing the kit from Racambi for the job.
    Kit cost: $1,379.00
    Labor cost: $1,700.00
    ----------------------------
    $3,079.00

Also found I had a bad left hydraulic tightener-- cost of part (I also ordered it from Racambi): $433.00. Labor to install it was included in the belt service since they were already in there.

Good luck sir,
    Ken

3. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Yeah I did mine this year at an indy it was about I think $3.5k but with a couple other smaller things found in the process and then CA taxes the whole bill got close to $5k.

4. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    That certainly can vary quite a bit on a car that old. Engine bushings ( esp the rear that rests on a cross beam which cracks at times (a structural defect on the 360). Sometimes best to chge this bushing) If you change that one (the hardest best to chge all. My bushings were failing( common with time) on my 03 low milage 360 but caught it in time as it was just touching the cross member. We changed all cause the rest were going bad(time) & they are less time consuming. There is always some kind of leak of sorts. The overall Belt service really isn't that bad on the 360. My Bill ran 5500, but included other things. The service was done outside of Orlando, I live in Central FL. Independent shop & he does pick up & delivery in covered trailer. I will say my car ran better than I can ever remember prior. Personally I would use a Ferrari Independant rather than a jack of all trades. My worst experience was with a Porsche dealer with a supposedly Ferrari Mech.

5. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    IIRC just the belt service alone was under 3K, but then all the other things you may want/need to do can add up. It's good form to start a relationship with your mechanic so you trust them. I bring mine a box of pastries when I go in for service! Just the parts for the belt service alone are like ~1100 and the special tools are another 700 or so. It's a lot of work to do the job right. Really nice straight forward work if you are into that.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You should budget $5k for the service and some while you are in there stuff on a 360.

7. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Tensioners go bad, just so you know. The previous 360 in my mechanic's shop had one go bad. I checked the date and it was original to the car. Had both of mine replaced at 25K mi. Cheap insurance at 17 years of age. Yes, my 360 is also a 2003.

8. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Yup. As my post above points out, I had a bad one too. But the interesting thing is if it completely fails it doesn't "collapse" as was the case in my older 911s. The mechanic showed it to me (as they do a lot of 911 engines). Pretty cool. Ferrari engineering of the design prevents a total catastrophe.

Also my '03 had about the same miles as your car Dave. So a word of advise to those with "lower mileage" 360s out there.

9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    For reference what is the dealer price for this svc?

10. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary

11. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I should clarify I was talking the belt tension-ers in the engine. In the old 911s the chain tension-ers would collapse and the timing chain would slip the gear. Not good.
    As for the engine mounts I assume you are referring to, yes, a good idea to keep an eye on them.

And by the way, congrats on your "new to you" 458. A beautifully designed car and a joy to simply look at. Much the way I feel about my 360. And yet, still, I keep getting this sneaking feeling that there's a 458 in my future....

all the best... enjoy.

12. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks for the nice comments KGC. As mentioned I really enjoyed my 03 Modena and truthfully wish I could have kept it with the 458. Space was the problem after moving back to Fl. as in CO. I had a large garage with a lift plus I had my aircraft hanger in close proximity to the house. Here in Fl. (Dade City) the garage has a installed lift & no linger fly so space is markedly less.
    I think the 458 Italia is a beautiful car, more than enough power, makes the right sounds even stock esp. with ability to control exhaust notes,handles well & is comfortable to drive,reliability noteworthy. I knew I had to have it when I first saw it.
    Have a good Day.
    Gary

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I agree. As soon as I can convince myself to live with an F1 shifter, that would be the one I buy.

docf likes this.
  14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Enzo, what have you decided to do?

15. ThreeSixtyM

ThreeSixtyM Karting

Aug 3, 2009
    UK
    The price the indys charge for a belt change in the US is frightening. An indy in the UK will charge around £400 for belts. With sales tax that’s about $615. When mine was done this year I replaced a tensioner and that was an additional $332. The 18750 mile service was around $1230. So the whole lot was under $2200.

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    $600 for a timing belt change on a 308? Sorry, but I need to pay rent too.

17. ThreeSixtyM

ThreeSixtyM Karting

Aug 3, 2009
    UK
    #18 ThreeSixtyM, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    We’re talking about 360. The 308 is cheaper
    at approx $410.
    See for yourself:
    http://ferrarimaserati.co.uk/index.php/ferrari/
    Standard pricing at a UK Indy
    -all parts supplied by Ferrari authorised main dealer.

18. Enzo Campagnolo

Apr 17, 2020
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dr. Enzo R. Campagnolo
    Getting both the belt service and new tires at a very reputable (highly recommended) mechanic (Earl Gibbs- north coast exotics) In Cleveland.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Just had mine done one week ago here in St Pete FL. Timing belts and the other two ancillary belts. Also had coolant flush.

Total cost $1980.

European Exotic Autos did the work.

brookliner7 likes this.
  20. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Last timing belt service in San Diego May 2019 was $1373. ($1050 labor, $323 parts). Independent shop.

21. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Very close to mine... just add the coolant flush and 2 ancillary belts.

22. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Have you driven an F1?
    My 360 is my first paddle shift sports car. I've had a long list of 911s with sticks. I don't miss them at all. And for my sports cars, I don't think I would go back to a stick. The tech is amazing and the shifts are incredible with the latest TCU in my '03.

And with that said, I've driven a 458. The DCT is by most folks standards a big improvement. For me, I didn't see it so much. But I didn't get a chance to really drive the car for a week where I could get a good feel for any differences from my 360 F1. The power is there to be sure, but in reality, the 360 has more than enough power for a street car. And even then I seldom get to unleash it all on public roads that are wide open.

But the looks of the 458 is, to be sure, the Siren's song for me :D

Apollo 11 likes this.
  23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes, I have driven many F1s.

The 355 F1 seems clunky, hard shifting, and the F1 pump is ready to give up the ghost as soon as you look at it.
    The 360 F1 Spider is better than the 355 F1 in shifting finesse but the whole system just requires upgrade, maintenance, up keeping, and lots of stuff to pay attention to.
    The 360 CS is by far the best shifting of the 355/360 Genre. While it is still an F1, the aggressive nature of the car, the loud exhaust, and the me-go-fast attitude almost makes up for the F1.

The common theme among all the F1s is that are faster shifting than anyone can do with a 6 speed, but the lack of the third pedal takes away the enjoyment of the car (If you like shifting a stick), as well as the required tools for maintenance of the F1 system and the expensive components when they do break are factors that keep me away.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  24. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey