Pulley and Belt Question Help | FerrariChat

Pulley and Belt Question Help

Discussion in '360/430' started by toussi1, Aug 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    #1 toussi1, Aug 29, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    On the 360
    The Idler Pulley on the main belt image shown

I can't figure out how much pressure it should put on the belt? Is this pulley supposed to be moving?

I started the car after putting in new belts and this pulley just rubs on the belt and does not move, does this mean more pressure or less pressure. I can't see what is the point if it just sits there rubbing against the belt? Part is called
    179698 Belt Tightening Bearing
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

My understanding and observation from lots of cars, not necessarily correct:

it is there to stop the belt from warping too much when the rpm changes.
    When engine is not running, this pulley should NOT be touching the belt, but very very close.

3. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    :eek: I adjusted it today so it moves while the vehicle is running, is that a problem?

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

shouldn't move if the car is idling.
    but it won't destroy the car as I tested it for 500 miles and there's no problem (with the pulley rotating all the time with the engine)

5. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The manual says to "bring the nut into contact with the belt and tighten". Seems kinda arbitrary but if it is right there I think you are OK. As said it is to keep the belt from slapping around.