Rookie 2017 488 GTB | FerrariChat

Rookie 2017 488 GTB

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Wangotango123, Aug 29, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wangotango123

Wangotango123 Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rafael olarte
    New here I’m a boat guy but always wanted an F car. Again rookie so be gentle. On the hull truth rookies get killed lol.

The collection in Miami has a 488 listed at 234k with 3100 miles.

Good bad ugly? Is this a good entry Ferrari? What is a price in your opinion would be a buyer deal?

2. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    You have to give more information beyond the model and price for anyone to say whether it’s a good deal or not. Options, color, etc. As for whether it’s a good first F car, that depends on what you have had before. If it’s your first exotic, as long as you’re very careful, sure. The 488 is very composed but the problem with that is it can give you the false illusion of being a good driver and end up killing you just as easily. I had a 488 Spider that I put nearly 30,000 miles on. Very reliable and as long as you are cognizant of your right foot and pay attention, they are amazing first exotics. Just be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLAMPEE and docster like this.
  3. Wangotango123

Wangotango123 Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rafael olarte
    Red:
    • 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
    • A/C
    • ABS
    • AM/FM Stereo
    • Active Suspension
    • Adjustable Steering Wheel
    • Aluminum Wheels
    • Automatic Headlights
    • Auxiliary Audio Input
    • Bluetooth Connection
    • Brake Assist
    • Bucket Seats
    • Climate Control
    • Cruise Control
    • Daytime Running Lights
    • Driver Air Bag
    • Engine Immobilizer
    • Floor Mats
    • Front Side Air Bag
    • Hard Disk Drive Media Storage
    • Headlights-Auto-Leveling
    • Heated Mirrors
    • Intermittent Wipers
    • Keyless Entry
    • Keyless Start
    • Leather Seats
    • Leather Steering Wheel
    • Locking/Limited Slip Differential
    • MP3 Player
    • Multi-Zone A/C
    • Navigation System
    • Passenger Air Bag
    • Passenger Air Bag On/Off Switch
    • Power Door Locks
    • Power Folding Mirrors
    • Power Mirror(s)
    • Power Steering
    • Power Windows
    • Rain Sensing Wipers
    • Rear Defrost
    • Rear Parking Aid
    • Rear Spoiler
    • Rear Wheel Drive
    • Remote Trunk Release
    • Security System
    • Smart Device Integration
    • Stability Control
    • Steering Wheel Audio Controls
    • Tire Pressure Monitor
    • Tires - Front Performance
    • Tires - Rear Performance
    • Traction Control
    • Trip Computer
    • Turbocharged
    • Variable Speed Intermittent Wipers

4. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    Those are just the generic options. Nothing about carbon fiber. I just looked up the car at the collection and I’d say it’s definitely not worth 234. It’s a half decent spec. If you don’t care about it being a local car, I test drove this one over at Miller last weekend while buying a different car. 240K, absolutely worth the money for it for the spec it is. https://www.millermotorcars.com/2016-ferrari-488-gtb-c-4240/

5. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    The car is also fully PPFed and it has a built in radar detector and laser jammers hardwired into the car.

6. Wangotango123

Wangotango123 Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rafael olarte
    What is the negative about buying a local car?

7. Dr. K

Dr. K Rookie

Jul 28, 2019
    Boston MA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Not really any, although more often than not you will have to travel to find your ideal spec and/or a better value for your money.

8. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I have a 488 as well as a new RS WP and have built up to these two extremely fast cars over 20 years of slower Porsches and Ferraris..A 488 is astonishingly fast and too much so in inexperienced hands IMO..I'd start with a slower one and if i was fortunate enough to live in Florida i'd start my Ferrari journey in a California 30 or T and then progress up to a 488..All IMHO of course;)

9. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
  10. Wangotango123

Wangotango123 Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rafael olarte
    I have much to learn.

Isn’t the California T not really considered a Ferrari?

11. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Drive one then ask yourself that question.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

wrs likes this.
  12. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    Portofino or an older slightly slower V8 mid car would be good as well if you don’t trust yourself enough with 488 just yet. My first F car was a silver F430 Spider. Still plenty of fun but slow enough that it is a good car to learn on.

13. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    What else would it be considered?!?!? If you are worried about what other people think of you by driving a certain car you may want to reconsider spending 200k+ on a car!

14. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    The fact that you admit you have a lot to learn is a great trait and very rare these days..Some guys with no experience in something still think they know it all..
    California is a great car IMO and with it being a true open top with a metal roof offers the best of both worlds..I wouldn't discount a late 2014 California 30 with 490HP naturally aspirated engine and lighter than the normal version..The T with 560HP Turbo is a fair bit faster and has more low down torque but doesn't sound as good as the 30..

15. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The 488 is an amazing car and brutally fast!

I found it was definitely not my go to for anything other than a fast spirited drive or perhaps dinner out with my wife.

If you want to drive it all of the time and a car that can deliver you comfort, style and speed in a convertible I would definitely consider a Portafino.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    488 is my first Ferrari and can't understand why it would not be a great 1st Ferrari.... Get the Ferrari you can afford and looks/options you like best.

Speaking of TheHullTruth... lol yeah i have not been on there since 2015 or so... sold my boat back then too... Fountain 38TE.

pninja005 and sampelligrino like this.
  17. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    By people that don't have them. I had a Cali T HS before my 488 Spider and it was an excellent car. Sounds great, drives great, lot of fun and plenty of room. The 488 is a beast though and you can definitely know the difference if you drive the two.

18. Wangotango123

Wangotango123 Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rafael olarte
    Man this forum is great. I have had vettes and 911 grew up,racing 5 liter mustangs . For me it isn’t much about speed as it is about what I visually find appealing. I love the California t and portofino plus much more practical.
    And yea I’m a top expert on boats and bikes but quickly learned Ferrari is truly a lifestyle brand. Easy to buy a 911 at a lot.
    Would like to keep budget close to 200k. Not financing. like I said always been a dream of mine to join the club and at 46 I ain’t getting younger.

19. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    I’d say go Portofino over the Cali T. The 7 years of free service is great and you should still get a powertrain warranty with a Portofino when you purchase. Ferrari’s are very reliable nowadays to the point where they could just be your only car with no issues but its always better safe than sorry.

20. Wangotango123

Wangotango123 Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rafael olarte
    What can 200k buy? I see 2019 PTF in the 200-230 range

21. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    If you search car gurus or any of the other sites there are a few portofino for 195k and a bunch more between 200-210. May want to go drive some different models and pick which one you like best. It’s your money and you should get what you like. Portofino is a great car and if you are looking for a drop top that you can daily drive that is a perfect car. 488 spider is going to jump up in price and is more of supercar. I would recommend something with a warranty, as You can probably imagine the repairs on a Ferrari are more expensive than non exotics (even though the modern cars are very bullet proof). Good luck with the search.

22. Wangotango123

Wangotango123 Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rafael olarte
    You gentleman are priceless. For whatever reason I love the lines and style of the portofino.

23. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The Portofino is such a versatile car which you could definitely drive everyday.

Some people say you can drive a 488 everyday however in reality they can be hard work.

For the following reasons;

Sit low to the ground, so not so easy to get out of.

Long doors so tight car spaces are squeezy.

Trunk space not as big as the Portofino.

You would always be concerned where you park it.

Only 2 seats, albeit the Portofino has very small rear seats.

24. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    If you want to own a Ferrari for everyday use go with a Port or Cali. If you want to own a Ferrari for the exotic looks and performance buy a 430, 458, 488. A 430, 458, 488 are all fine for starter Ferrari’s just ease into driving them hard. I bought a 458 for the sound, performance, and looks but I will 100% admit it’s not a car I’d want to drive everyday or for more than an hour drive due to comfort.

25. JDINPA

JDINPA Rookie

Aug 30, 2017
    Hey, I just recently went through exactly the decision process you're working on, except I had previously owned an F430 many years ago. Vacillated between 458, Speciale, and 488 GTB for about a year. Almost bought a Speciale but ended up being glad the deal fell through - too much money and you would feel far less comfortable lopping miles on it (unless you're ridiculously wealthy, in which case you probably wouldn't have created this post in the first place ;-) ). Anyway, the 488 GTB is a great "value" Ferrari in my opinion. Price is what you pay, value is what you get. So, as other posters commented here, look at the following key decision drivers:
    1) Vehicle history. Single prior owner is always better/easier to find info on
    1) options - is the car configured to your taste? Carbon fiber, racing seats, parking sensors, etc etc. Decide what's REALLY important to you first
    2) obviously color combo
    3) mileage
    4) big one: will the seller throw in an extended Power Warranty. You should assign approx 4-5k of value for each year of additional power warranty
    5) other things to consider: what will you ABSOLUTELY want to change? For me it was the exhaust, and so I factored in the cost of my Novitec upgrade as part of determining overall value.

Good luck!

Wangotango123 likes this.