348 - Stereo review | FerrariChat

348 Stereo review

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarium, Aug 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Coax speaker tend to image better, dash tweeters can throw off the phase unless you correct it and what not, anyhow coax speakers do sound better generally unless your doing something really special. I've done all that, many times, my sons Focus is running a 1/4 wave transition tunnel with two 6.5 sundown audio subs driving it, 2 sets of component speakers and AudioControl EQ control and signal processor. It will make you smile ear to ear playing Rush's Red Barchetta.

So anyhow I bought a set of door speakers, the ones I selected were the JLAudio C2-650x. There are speakers out there that produce more bottom end but few sound this good especially at this price.

Then then bought Sony DSX-GS80 which is a high power deck, a YouTube video of a fellow testing it shows it is 50W rms so no external amp needed. Most door speakers need more than a standard deck delivers power wise (usually 12W) so no amp needed. Programmable led colors etc.

There are rear channel low pass filters and front high pass filters in case you want to do some rears and treat them like a woofers, actually the deck has an actual sub channel as well, needless to say, it very configurable.

I wired it up and it was fine, but then I got playing with the Dynamic stage and related controls, playing dynamic vocals with full music like Annie Lenox, and it started sounding good, real good. It does not just sound "good",its like wooooow wtf... No huge bass they are unsealed door speakers after all, the bottom end is fine, its the rest.... For more bottom get the the Kappas.

Sounds like the speakers are higher than bottom door speakers imaging wise, it envelopes you, thick sounds, like a studio, like the sound is in front of you, not like a car left and right shtick. For 2 car door speakers and no amp its shocking. I turned off the Clear audio option that it has (its good) but in a small car you can set it your self better. The eq is flat, just the dynamic settings were touched. there are 2 of them. You have to go in the menus and find the buried source volume to get it to bump.

Plus got colors to to match the car. Its actually darker but the stupid low quality phone camera auto corrects it lighter. I may try the Infiniti Kappa 62X speakers also, we'll see after a few months.

Downright bargain for what you get sounds wise, very fine.
    $200 for speakers
    $225 for Deck

Image Unavailable, Please Login

bcar1 likes this.
  2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  3. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
  4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Swap the deck first, the signal processing is great, there is a pioneer that is incredibly good probably the best available as a head unit with signal processing but the Sony is good enough at signal processing but it has more of power which is key. No crossovers dangling about, no amps jammed somewhere, no running wires to the battery etc. Just a deck and the speakers. I'm in central NJ we can meet up and you can see before you do anything.

Here is review of the speakers, jump- to 5:30.

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The JLAudio C2-650x sounds good, crystal clear, but they need some bass support or enclosure for when driving, it gets drowned. Also low end frequencies tend to fart out, they seem to want a high pass cross set. Ok that won't work it will kill the sounds and fulness.

Before I stick in speakers behind the seats I decided to try my perennial favorites Infinity Kappas. With the Sony head there is power and more of a fullness and forcefulness now. With the Kappas the lower end performance is respectable and voices are full and deep. It's hardly bassy but there is bass but it is the low mids are what is notable. The bottom end does not fart out when it does get a bass hit. While driving the sounds is respectable enough that I will not be installing my custom integrated woofer cabinet I have for behind the seats. The carpet bows "slightly" due to tweeter protrusion but it is not obnoxious, if it was not mentioned it would not be noticed.

Slight trimming to the inner frame is needed, (its not the "car" its a bolt on bit that holds with windows).

Sounds more like a complete stereo now due to the fullness and at max volume the speakers never fart out even with R&B or Rock or HipHop or what not.

The Kappas, much more robust cone and surround as well as stronger magnet and RMS.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

The JL Audios

Attached Files:

dave80gtsi likes this.
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Quick tip, set the tweeters to 0 not +3