oil pressure gauge fluctuating and power loss | FerrariChat

oil pressure gauge fluctuating and power loss

Discussion in '360/430' started by SCEye, Aug 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Took the CS out for the first time in a month. Drove it about 8 miles on the freeway. Car behaved normally.
    When I exited, the car seem to lose power, a lot. It barely moved under it's own power. Looked down at the gauges, I noticed the oil pressure needle was fluctuating widely at the right side of the gauge (at 140 lb/in2). Luckily there was a red traffic light. I turned the engine off and on while stopped. The needle settled at the 70 (mid-gauge) area but still fluctuates quite a bit.
    The car had a bit more power but still pretty sluggish.
    Took the car home on the side road. Part of the drive was a 3-4% grade and the car could not generate enough power to keep the speed at 50mph, slowing down to about 30mph after 1/2 a mile. Luckily, there was no traffic.
    Searched this site and google but no solution - only suggestion was bad sender but that didn't mention loss of power. ( https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/360-oil-pressure-weirdness.569370/ )
    Engine bay smell test normal. No burnt clutch or awful/unrecognizable smell. Just the usual smell.
    (edited) 2004 CS. 30K miles.

Any idea?

Also, will call the mechanic and post an update once the problem is solved.

2. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Hmmm...sounds like the car went into limp mode. No slow down light eh?

3. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    neither check engine or slow down light.

4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Check battery

scan for codes

as silly as it sounds try turn batt switch off for a while then back on....

sounds like it went into limp mode.

5. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    battery was full. was on tender the whole month

dont have scanner

will try that - probably next weekend if cannot get into mechanic sooner.

will read about limp mode (more than one post suggested it).

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Drain the engine oil and check if any metal on the sump plug. Let the old oil settle for a while and see if it is clear or cloudy. The fact it has lost power and the oil pressure is all over the place should sound alarm bells.
    Forget about limp mode until you know the oil is ok, this might sound like overkill but better safe than sorry.

7. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    In my opinion these two might be two unrelated symptoms...
    First you have a bad oil sender (or oil pressure gauge) that you need to replace.
    And secondly there is probably something wrong with the catalytic converter temperature sending units (Vescovini boxes) and you get into limp mode to protect the cats from melting (because the sensor is sending high temp).
    However, what is confusing is that you don't get a "slow down" message on your screen.. weird

8. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Had a similar thing on my old 348 when one of the fuel pumps died and I had to drive home on half an engine.

9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    A bad battery can read full volts w no load.

these cars are super sensitive to low voltage

Apollo 11 likes this.
  10. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    can't drain oil myself. No knowledge. No tools.
    has appointment next week. will discuss with mechanic.

11. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I have seen slow down message before so I know what that looks like.
    none this time.
    could be 2 separate issues but happened too closely. Still, could be a coincidence.

12. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    could be. will find out next week.

13. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Another possibility is that your car fell into "pedal limp" which is different than the slow down mode from the transmission or emissions. Pedal limp limits the throttle available to 20%. The engine otherwise seems to run fine and sound normal.

A reasonable scanner like the Autel AP200 can read that from the right side ECU. No CEL or other indication shows when the car enters pedal limp.

Pedal limp is caused by a problem in your drive-by-wire circuit. It's usually the accelerator potentiometer (foot pedal) or the throttle bodies.

14. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    So finally had the answer from mechanic.

The gas pedal potentiometer went bad. Pushing on the gas pedal did not register and hence no power.
    At the same time, the oil pressure gauge went bad, leading to fluctuating oil pressure readout.
    Weird that both went bad at the same time.
    Replaced both. Now car better.
    Will pick up car later this week.

On an unrelated note, only drove the car twice in nearly 3 months (the second time was to the mechanic). I do miss driving it but not as much as expected. Was thinking about selling it as it is driven less and less. Not sure if there will be seller's regret.
    Anyone in the same boat: driving the car infrequently, selling it, then regret selling it?

15. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Awesome outcome for you!

These are well built machines... so generally the 'worst-case' scenario does not play out.

I suggest before selling you actually put some miles on this machine with other like minded enthusiasts...... you may just start the flame of affection :)

If after some quality time.... your eyes wonder...... there are plenty of other fish :)

Penzinger and SCEye like this.