Help! Lowered my car, Novitec springs, Maybe too low? Help? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Help! Lowered my car, Novitec springs, Maybe too low? Help?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by graphicdisorder, May 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Disagree. After a while, it's simply not driveable. I cringe every time I scrape the front bumper or rear diffuser fin. My 430 was lowered 22mm (3/4").

350MH83 likes this.
  2. GuardCo

GuardCo Karting

Jun 10, 2014
    Houston TX
    I have some HRE 21/22 set up with the same springs too and no rubbing.

3. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Pics? Where are your front springs set?

4. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Providing an offset would help as well.

5. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Not sure the Offset, they are COR Wheels and they claim they nail the 458 fitment. I have my front coils overs adjusted fully up, rear I cranked up about 1/2 inch today which interestingly brough the front up slightly as well. But still need to go up more. Ground to top of front fender with me in the car is 27 inches. Anyone got anything to compare that with?

6. Soundcheck

Soundcheck Karting

Oct 10, 2015
    River City
    #31 Soundcheck, May 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In a previous post (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/458-italia-488/505831-458-lowering-questions-need-help.html), rockitman stated "You can get 15mm with the stock coil over springs adjusting the perches...that's about 1/2". You need the novitec to go 30mm or more. If you go too much, you can make the tire impact the fender edge if the wheels are turned out and you hit a bump. The springs are 1730 and the labor at my dealer was 1500. That's does not include alignment
    ...another 500. Welcome to Ferrari service. The car handles better with the springs and would surely perform better at the track with stiffer and Lower springs."

Having R&R wheels and tires with HRE P101s 255/30/21 fronts and 335/25/22 rears using Novitec Roso Sport Spring Set, I've had no issues. Visually, your suspension looks to be set a little lower and may be the cause of the rubbing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Baitschev likes this.
  7. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Which has my puzzled since we have spun the coilovers all the way up currently, so all things equal my car is as high as you can adjust a novitec spring car in the front?

8. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports

Car looks familiar :) is your car fitted with the Akrapovic Exhaust as well?

9. Soundcheck

Soundcheck Karting

Oct 10, 2015
    River City
    #34 Soundcheck, May 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The good folks at Stewart's Auto who managed the build on my car, in conjunction with the professionals at TAG Motorsports, mentioned they ran factory settings on the shocks and just replaced the springs with Novitec Rosso Sport Spring Set. Additionally, Stewart's stated the shock assemblies are odd especially on 458s with the front lift and suggested to pull the front shocks back out as the adjustment is made when the springs are removed and disassembled from the shocks. This may explain why you see no results after having adjusted the coilovers in place to its maximum limit. My understanding is this install can be challenging in that Novitec instructions are not adequate and we got "lucky that the height was perfect the first go around".

Baitschev likes this.
  10. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    We purchased from TAG and they are novitec springs. Other than the coilovers nuts I see zero other adjustment. I'd love to be wrong which is sort of the point of my thread.

At some pint in just going to build a spacer for it and put it under the spring and call it a day.

11. Yoshi411

Yoshi411 Rookie

Aug 26, 2018
    Chandler Arizona
    Full Name:
    Yoshi
    2010 F458 21/22 lowered on Novitec springs. Rubbing issue at full turning radius and depending on road conditions.
    21x9.5
    22x12.5
    Michelin Ps4
    255/30/21
    335/25/22

Attached Files:

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What a way to ruin a nice car. Rubbing and tons of understeer.

These shops shod be ashamed calling this a performance upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Here's my Novitec suspension / drop w/ rear spacers on the stock wheel / tire combo. The pic further below was the car how it came w/ the 21/22 Forgiatos and huge rubber, i think rear's were 355 or so. In two days time, I ripped them off the car, painted stocks black and slapped back on. The setup is for LA / Miami, not NYC metro, which is also the immediate burbs surrounding 5 boroughs. The ride was a nightmare and jarring, even w/ the damper setting on. I couldn't be happier all around w/ the stock rim / tire config w/ my Novitec setup. What did you decide on OP, I didn't read all on here.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I believe your rears were 335's. Nobody makes 355's for 22's.
    Interesting reading your post. According to some who sells these chariot sized wheels, there's no change in comfort.
    Glad to see you post some real world experience.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    lol chariot! There is a HUGE change in comfort compared to stocks, but again depends on you local. If you drive on glass smooth roads in Miami, you can't tell.

16. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
  17. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Not only is the ride on “chariot” wheels not good, neither is ultimate grip. Plus the “chariot” wheels and tires are a larger over all diameter thus changing the final gear ratio and killing acceleration.

I personally think the stock 20” wheels tires look beefier and better anyway. I just wish the stock wheels had about 10-15mm more offset.

Sargepug and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Indeed. So many drawbacks form a performance standpoint. If you like the look great, but it's all show no go.

I really relish the rare occasion when I see a dirty 458 or 488 on 19's. That to me means business. That's usually what you would do when the car is used for fast driving and track work. Now that's a cool look to me:cool:

Sargepug and mdrums like this.
  19. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    I also wonder if it was the source of my trans issue!!
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/458-tranny-issue.628502/#post-147433667

20. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    I sold the package for $4k...

21. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I agree! I plan to get taller sidewall tires when it comes time.

mdrums likes this.