Porsche 996 4S x50 search | FerrariChat

Porsche 996 4S x50 search

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by leeber, Aug 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    I have recently been looking for a 996 4S cabrio or coupe with an x50 power pack, as an option to buying a Mondial. Are the 996's with the x50 that hard to find? I know that not many people would pay the $15k option price for the added power, but didnt realize just how hard to find. I cant be choosy, but no guards red. Any Porsche enthusiasts want to comment on whether the 4S is a better driver than the narrow bodied 40th Anniv 2004 version ? Thanks.

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Do you need AWD, or do you just like the look? The 996 is very easy to turn into RWD (I did 2 996tt's that way). I always find questions like this a bit hard to answer. How are you planning to use the car is the first question I'd ask you. The more modern AWD cars tend to feel more rear wheel biased the 996 is not one of those cars. I did not like the way the car felt in AWD I, also owned a 2000 cab in RWD. I would buy a 997 vs a 996, because it is a better machine. If I were to buy a 996 again, I would not care if it had the x50 kit or not, I never thought it made that much of a difference and you can get the same results in the after market.

3. simon930Berlin

simon930Berlin Karting

Apr 25, 2013
    I own an 02 996 4S and a 77 3.0 Turbo. The 4S is fantastic, I track it on trackdays and it is almost impossible to make it get out of control. That said, it needs a few mods such as the new PCM entertainment system and rennline engine mounts. The engine mounts are making all the difference in handling, shifting and sound. If there is an option to get, I´d say its the sports exhaust.

Good luck w the search!

4. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I thought the X50 was an option only for the turbo,,, in fact I'd bet on it. I had one , all red '04 X50 , tan interior cabriolet. Another great car I let go too soon.

5. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I believe this is correct. 4S was turbo wheels, wide body, AWD, etc but no turbos. X50 was power bump on turbo. I am fairly confident on this.

randkin likes this.
  6. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    all comments on the x50 power pack are correct that it was with turbo. I shouldve typed x51 for the normally aspirated engines.

7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have an early 996 C2 coupe. I have noticed from my surfing of autotrader that there just doesn't seem to be a huge inventory of 996s and 997s. Not sure if that is COVID related or what, but it doesn't seem like there is much out there these days.

8. aatk

aatk Rookie

Nov 24, 2017
    I’ve had a 4S and a turbo. Still have the TT.
    Get the turbo. Seriously.

randkin, Texas Forever and leeber like this.
  9. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    thanks for the comments, all. i am surprised how hard it is to get a 996 these days. but to find an x51 on a normally aspirated engine is even more unique.

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    If you want PM me OP, I spoke with one of my local dealers (he took less that 48 hours to find my Targa), GM's and he will help you get a car.

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I would suggest looking at a 997 C2S. You get the extra power, in a better car. I agree with carnut about the 4WD in the 996. I had two TTs, one a TT S, and they were just a bit dull and understeery due to the 4WD. Very safe, but is that why you buy a 911? Unless there's a real reason for 4WD, stay with the 2.

12. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    i really like the wide body look of the 4S, but am now of the opinion to go with the better driving narrow body if i stay with normal aspirated. All comments on this thread are consistent with everything else ive read, so thank you all.
    If i go with a tt, thats a different story regarding wide body. i just think the tt is not possible with my current challenge of "getting whatever the best car available in the marketplace for under $35k is". (+/- a couple of grand).
    Hardest part of challenge is it has to have a useable backseat for a 7 year old.

13. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    #13 johnireland, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    I have only heard of the x50 (or x51) on the 997 S, not on the 996. My understanding is that they have the Turbo suspension and body but the standard engine...though I may be wrong. I had a 997 S and really hated it. The interior was tacky, a bad attempt to look high tech. I found it so ugly I dumped the car three months later. I went back to the first generation of the 996...with clear versions of the fried egg headlights. I love the analog interior of the 996. None of the pseudo digital BS. Mine is a C4...and yes the steering is a little heavier but the overall condition of the car made me chose it over C2s in not as good condition. It can be changed into RW drive, but I don't feel any need to...I'd rather enjoy the car the way Porsche built it. The 964 first generation of AWD had a base default of 45% to the front wheels and 55% to the back (out of the 959). The 993s went to the more modern version with only 5% to the front and 95%...until the conditions warrant the front needing more. This is also what the 996 has. I'm sure Porsche has tweaked it with each generation. I drove a 997 C4 and the steering was lighter than the 996...but again the interior was the same mess.

I bought my 996 for top dollar on Bring a Trailer. I think the nicest ones end up there. A 99 with a 98 build date is the most wanted 996...these C2s have an actual throttle cable, not the e-throttle that was put into the C2s a year or so later. They also have manual cable (not electric) releases for the engine bay and truck. All the C4s have the e-throttle. The early C2s are the lightest and most agile, which makes their 3.4 liter 296 hp feel like much more, and more than adequate to get into all the trouble in the world. The also like to rev better than the 3.6 liter second generation 996 (2002 - 2004). The 3.6 has 325 hp power and a different torque curve...which I didn't like. The early generation has the dual row IMS bearing which had the lowest failure rate. The 3.6 engines all had the second generation bearing where all the trouble occurred.

I've always been attracted to the Mondial coupes but I missed the price target I had set for myself. As the cheapest Ferraris around, they have been the latest to have the prices going up...as with the Porsche 996. The ugly step-children finally get their day in the sun. I'd even consider the Mondial 8...a very slow Ferrari, but still with all the magic. Anyway they are GTs, not sports cars. Good luck which ever you end up getting.

For the record, I paid $26k for my 996. Yes they are available for $15k, $16k, $18k, etc. I chose mine because it had almost $18k in work done in the last 2 years...the previous owner was obsessive. IMS done, all new shocks and struts and bushings and trans rebuild and new clutch, and tires and brakes and other stuff.

14. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    #14 leeber, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    Thanks for the informative response @johnireland. most of what you say I have heard and agree. but I never heard the love that you expressed for the first gen 996. I have always heard about the 2nd gen 996 with the facelift as the one to target. i am on the hunt for a 996, after all that I have read about porsche, and what i am looking for at the moment. whatever 996 i find, i will agree with you that the hp to weight ratio in the 996 is very special and not matched since, so that is appealing to me. where i live, its more conducive to GT driving than sports car driving, but im interested in owning a porsche for a bit. ill let you know when i find what im looking for. thank you again for taking the time for such a thoughtful post. i will read it again a couple of times to give thought to your comments, but wont respond to everything. all the best. leeber

15. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Go to Bring a Trailer and search their completed auctions for 996s. They are selling some of the best examples on the market today. The auctions that have passed will let you read the full descriptions (with tons of photos) as well as comments from Porsche enthusiasts who were following the auction and you will get names of sellers to consider following. The Gen 2 996 has some nice detail upgrades but no significant performance improvements. They also have the worst IMS bearing...and that continued into the first year of the 997. It wasn't until the 2nd year of 997s that the third generation bearing was introduced. That is as good in terms of durability as the first generation dual row bearing, but it cannot be serviced without taking apart the entire engine...all pointing back to the best of the breed being the 99 and 2000 gen 1 996s...and the earlier the build date the better...but that must also be considered against the overall condition and history of the particular car you are looking at. Best of luck in your hunt.

16. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I've had a 996TT for quite some time, and it's simply one of the greatest cars there is. Highly recommend switching the target to one. I recently sold my 2003 C2 (in 8 hours), and the Turbo is truly on another level, even if you pursue an X51 C4S. Plus you only have to make sure your coolant pipes are welded instead of looming prospects of bore scoring that haunts the M96 motor (in addition to the IMS issue, which I think is far less scary than scoring).

17. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    i think the '04 911 40Anniversary is a 996 worthy consideration because of the chassis upgrades and bump in horsepower. yes, to the IMS bearing and rear main seal issues needing attention, and bore scoring. i appreciate the 996TT advice, and realize the premium is about $10k-$15k higher. I am really trying to meet a personal challenge of the best car for me, at $35k give or take a few grand. mondial, porsche 911 996, porsche 928, Porsche 911 G50, Porsche 911SC, and Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 are on list, in no special order. Currently leaning 996 for reliability. Speaking of BAT, covid has driven prices on BAT quite a bit high, so I better buy one of each on my list soon! worry about selling later.

18. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    if you have a 35k+couple of grands budget, then get a 997 Carrera 2S. You should be able to find a clean one with 50/60k miles and of course, manual.

19. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #19 randkin, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Personally I have only seen the x50 option on the 996 Toubo. But then I was mainly looking for a turbo at the time. I seriously doubt many , if any dealer ordered 4S cars would have the x50 option since it was $15k option. So that would limit you to special customer ordered cars and I suspect not many customers went that route. More likely just went for turbos would be my guess.
    Also the Turbo engine is different than the normally aspirated 4S and the turbo has no IMS issues to be concerned with, so there’s that as well.

20. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    #20 leeber, Jan 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I was lucky recently and able to take advice from amenasce, and find an extremely well-cared for 2007 Carerra S cabrio 6-speed with 107k miles that runs amazingly great and have been driving it for about a month, now. But an FChatter called me and said he has the perfect '88 Mondial Cabrio and now im thinking of selling the Porsche to get the Mondial 3.2.

amenasce likes this.
  21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Congratulations even if it's short lived .

One note - have you driven the Mondial?
    I'm a Ferrari fan first and foremost but would not trade a nice 6 speed 997 for a Mondial. They don't drive as nice as the Porsche and aren't as fun and nimble to throw around.

22. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    @amenasce. i have not driven Mondial 3.2. I have driven the 328 which i know is totally different. there arent many around where i am located, and i was close to buying a coupe in march if the test drive went well,but covid hit and i didnt travel to try it.