Model Collection up for sale... | FerrariChat

Model Collection up for sale...

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by spirot, Aug 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Hi all:

My father passed away about a week ago. He had been ill for sometime and he's finally at peace.

He was an avid model collector - had about 800 diecast 1/18 scale cars and while I like models as well, I don't have anywhere near the space for that... My question is does anyone buy entire collections?

I'll post some pics up when I can... its a mix match of cars from all eras, some are in great condition some have been damaged a bit.... I really don't want to go through taking pics of every car.. .it would be months...

he's also got some Taymia 1/10 scale RC cars from the mid 80's - 6 wheel Tyrrell, Ferrari Williams, Porsche and Lotus.

I've gone through and picked pretty much all the cars I want to keep - that have an emotional attachment for me... the rest I was either going to put up for sale as a large lot - or donate to a couple of kids charities...

I also have about 200 Slot cars for sale... all are in excellent condition in boxes etc.. and then some slot cars from the 60's .. two tubs full of bodies and chassis etc... while they have some sentimental value ... its best to get rid of them.

PM me if you have any interest. I can provide more details.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Very sorry for your loss Tom, can't imagine how tough it must be, wish you all the best.
    Pedro

3. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Very sorry for your loss. Went through this myself last year - still have boxes and boxes of books and a stack of artwork to do something with.
    The only shop I know who buys large collections would be Replicarz - Mark Fothergill - in New Hampshire. For large rare Ferrari models I might suggest Morry Barmak - Collector Studio in Montreal and Paul Zimmerman of The Motorsport Collector might be interested in a few pieces. I'm sure others will be along with suggestions for slotcars and RC stuff and maybe @Lusso123 can offer some advice.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #4 BigTex, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    PM sent Spiro,

We have a Model Shop here that supports both Slots and outdoor R/C Track...

u2fast will know......we will take all the R/C cars....He starts his day early he's on my phone now!!
    Alan

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Your issue with the Kids is a lot of die cast are really not meant to be toys, they will shed dangerous small parts.
    I'm moving in with toddlers and will have to lock mine up!!

I would think an Automotive Museum would be the best recipient.....in your Dad's name it would make a nice contribution.
    But I know the chatters here would be hugely interested in "what is there"????

6. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Tom, first I am very sorry for your loss, my condolences. I realize how difficult it can be dealing with everything.

There are not many sources at all for buying entire collections. The only one that comes to mind is the dealer Replicarz who are certainly buyers, but.... they pay very, very little for collections. I know this from a few friends who sold to them, and were less than pleased. I personally do not recommend them. There are a few consignment services around, I believe Mark Moscowitz (sp??) who owns Model Expo and is based in FL offers an eBay consignment service for selling models. From what I've seen that seems to work fairly well, but of course there are no guarantees. Their phone is: 800-222-3876. I have NO affiliation with them. You could also donate to a museum, BUT not all museums will take in collections like this. Another possibility is consigning with an auction house. There are many big and small auction companies now who are selling on line. They are not all good, so it really depends who you go with as to how much of an effort and just decent job they will do for you. One to stay away from is Mecum. I just had a horrible experience with them, and they seem to have difficulty with the truth. Also, if you decide to go with an auction company, and if you want the proceeds to go to charity, that is something you could arrange and incorporate into the marketing, which often helps boost selling prices. There are a number of these auction co's advertising in AutoMobilia Resource magazine. Now with all of that said, please feel free to PM me with any questions.

7. Fangio5

Fangio5 Rookie

Mar 10, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Hi

8. Fangio5

Fangio5 Rookie

Mar 10, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Hi,

You can contact Steve at Pasteiner's Collectables in Birmingham, MI. 248-646-2886. Great guy and would love to help sell your collection. Condolences on your loss.

9. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    So sorry for your loss Tom.

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    So I just put up some pics from my Dad's Model room... so some of the cars are damaged, but most are in good condition - if not a bit dusty. I'm offering FChat members first dibs... $20 per model - $10 for any that are damaged + shipping cost. proceeds will be given to Ronald McDonald house - as will any of the unsold models for kids to play with.

I have not listed them all so don't have an exact inventory - this is like a 2nd job... so what you see is what I have on offer.

PM me with any questions.

Thanks

Tom

gt4me likes this.
  11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sorry to hear about your dad. I had to go through something similar with my son’s card collection. I ended up giving them all to my SIL. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Sincere condolences Tom.
    I went through a similar case with hundreds of 19th, early 20th century fine books...in Swedish from my late mother's collection. The country is only ten million so no market as confirmed by the Christie's of Sweden so I am donating them next month to the Nordic library in Paris: they will be preserved and appreciated. That in the end is what matters, that it not go to waste: good closure.

13. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    So sorry for your loss, Tom.

PM sent.

14. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Sorry about your dad.

BigTex likes this.
  15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's a really widely varied collection of some great great racing history!

I will take a crack at it, from among the Ferraris,
    but first:
    The two Aston Martin Lemans cars are first on the list......love 'em
    333SP MOMO livery
    Red 62 250 GTO
    I think I see a red 64 Series 2 250GTO also?
    Yellow modern TR
    Yellow Enzo
    Yellow 348TS
    Red 57 250TR
    Red 288GTo with Italian strip livery
    Those last two might be 1/24th cannot tell, no matter.....

Someone should sort and take the Lambos like that.
    Those Lemans Audis are great models too...

I guess take it to PM and sort the rest of it.
    Alan
    Houston Texas

16. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Spirot - A PM has been sent with interest in a few models. Thank you

17. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I sent a PM as well. Good luck!

18. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    How much for all of them? PM if you prefer

19. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I recently sold some old 60's slot cars on Ebay, and it was a good experience. I got over $550 for 8 classic slot cars in decent condition. I saw several other groupings of slot cars selling together, so if you hit a dead end, you could put groups of them up for auction.

20. My365

My365 Karting

May 4, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    PM sent.

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Thanks everyone, I'm still working on selling these, but we had another blow - my Mom died a week ago, so I got tied up in all that. She had dementia for a while and fell at her PCH the day My Dad Passed... so its been a crazy time.

for those that sent me a PM I will get back to you.

Thanks

Tom

375+ likes this.
  22. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Very, very sorry Tom. My sincerest condolences.

23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    That's quite a blow Tom. Sincere condolences to you and family.