Wiper stalk repair for 1978 308 | FerrariChat

Wiper stalk repair for 1978 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308GTS78, Aug 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308GTS78

308GTS78 Rookie

Feb 19, 2014
    Adelaide
    Hi all. Have a 1978 308 with non functioning wipers and everything points to wiper stalk. With the steering wheel off i can see it has been repaired before and my mechanic has narrowed it down to faulty stalk. I remember reading here that there is someone on this forum who can repair them. If anyone knows of him or anyone else who can repair these parts please let me know.
    Thanks
    David
    Australia

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It will come back "better than new" with the new materials.

Not sure if he has an exchange program or if you will have to wait for yours to be revamped...

4. 308GTS78

308GTS78 Rookie

Feb 19, 2014
    Adelaide
    Thanks for link much appreciated. I have emailed them recently but got no reply but i have tried again and am waiting for his response. Is it Verell who has this service?
    I believe he is a member on this forum. I hear he does amazing work

5. 308GTS78

308GTS78 Rookie

Feb 19, 2014
    Adelaide
    Thanks for link much appreciated. I have emailed them recently but got no reply but i have tried again and am waiting for his response. Is it Verell who has this service?
    I believe he is a member on this forum. I hear he does amazing work

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    He does.

7. Ehamilton

Ehamilton Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2010
    Durham, NC; USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Hamilton
    It is indeed Verell, he is indeed a member here (that is an example of what is called “understatement”), he’s not a high-volume fast-turnaround operation (how many 308 stalk rebuilds are needed in a typical year?) and his work is indeed amazing.

When my turn signal stalk failed at the base, I tore the whole assembly down, found that the wiper and headlight stalks were cracked and not far from failure, sent all three individual stalks off to unobtainium for rebuild. They came back better than new.

Putting the thing back together with the spring loaded detent balls was a seriously educational and character-building experience. There’s a lot to be said for giving the whole cluster rebuild job to Verell, but if like me you have a strong DIY instinct you can let unobtainium rebuild the stalks and do the reassembly yourself.

8. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    I made a little tool that makes it pretty easy to get the stalks put back together without having the detent balls flying everywhere. It's a thin piece of aluminum with a indent made from a center punch. The spring and ball go into the stalk and held in place by the indent while you slide the stalk onto the shaft. Image Unavailable, Please Login

greg328 likes this.
  9. Ehamilton

Ehamilton Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2010
    Durham, NC; USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Hamilton
    That’s very close to mine (although I started with a piece of thin steel sheet, the sleeve around a set of cheap-ass FLAPS feeler gauges).

10. 308GTS78

308GTS78 Rookie

Feb 19, 2014
    Adelaide
    Thanks for the reply. I have emailed Verell at Unobtainium and awaiting his reply.

David

11. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Very clever Kerry. I hold the stalk vertical and glue the ball to the spring with a little super glue but success rate is about 20 to 1
    Make sure you do it on a spread out bed sheet as you will need to find that little ball many times!

12. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Hello David,
    I'll respond to your eMAIL lalter today.
    My apologies for being slow in responding. Unobtainium is simply buried with work!! Seems like everyone is sheltering in place & working on their Ferraris!!! Also, my assistant has been unable to come to work since the covid emergency was declared. As a result I have several weeks work backlog!!!

Please bear with me. In order to work making parts & restoring switches I'm currently checking eMAIL only 2-3 times/week

13. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    My thanks to all the kind words about Unobtainium's work. Greatly appreciated.

14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I just dip the end of the spring into some dielectric grease before inserting it into the back of the pivot end. My tool is a bit more rigid than the one pictured & cups the ball so It holds it more firmly & the ball typically goes in with only 1 to 3 tries.

Fer sure, lots of patience is required, A lot of balls end up in the workshop's nether regions never to be seen again!!! I buy them in bags of 100!