Borrani RW 3801 on 250 Gte S3 - it seems we have proof that they were fitted by Ferrari | FerrariChat

Borrani RW 3801 on 250 Gte S3 - it seems we have proof that they were fitted by Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by christc, Jul 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
  2. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Christopher: I think the word "option" is not correct. The factory was simply changing the production lines over to the latest wheel design and these chassis numbers are where they made the change. I seriously doubt you could specify the RW3801 wheel as an "option" when you ordered your new car.

kare likes this.
  3. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Hi Dyke,

that would be even better as up to now I was told that only RW3690 and 3591 were on Gte‘s not RW3801. As you can see in the old thread mentioned by me there were discussions about this. Thanks a lot.
    Christopher

4. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
  5. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    The "current" Borrani Wheel company is notorious for the errors in their catalogs. Nobody from the "era" is still involved with the company.

TTR likes this.
  6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I believe - but am not sure - the company now belongs to some Dutch or Belgian Group.

Marcel Massini

7. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    #7 Dino2010, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2020
    In 2004, the Borrani wire wheel production was sold to RuoteMilano srl., member of the international automotive Zeta Europe BV group.
    Zeta Europe BV group is based at: Het Ambacht 46-48, 6931 EZ Westervoort, The Netherlands

turbo-joe and Marcel Massini like this.
  8. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

Yep you will find complications in old Borrani books, but this is all getting better as they are being worked through. There is a vast array of period data at Borrani being sifted through and data bases being improved as we go along, because it all did dissapear into the back corner of a shed somewhere where the brand name was barely kept alive for quite a long period.

yes it is now owned by Dutch enthusiasts. But they have supported Borrani and helped it back on its feet while it brings all this data together and they have without doubt resolved any quality control isssues that may have been the case 20 - 30 years ago. you now get an exceptional product.

A catalogue like that has been difficult to produce and get it all right, and the correct wheel often isn't an exact science, because although a wheel was specified as original by Ferrari, if when they were making a car they had a set of different wheels on the shelf they would have just fitted them, so it is difficult.

Our web site has been adjusted as we have found things out https://www.borrani.com/ Hopefully we will be able to get onto it soon and give it a major shake up in the near future, but for now it is probably as good source as any. However when you come to actually buy some wheels if you are contacting Longstone Tyres (or the other official Borrani dealers) Simon will talk you through what you are buying and help make sure you get the right one. we also check things through with the factory who have all the old receords and can alos check with ferrari themselves t o make sure you get the right thing.

Please; if you do spot any errors on the Borrani.com web site please PM me or email us and let us know and we will up date it.

Incidentally the bit in the book about the 250GTE fitting Dunlop tyres, it would have been the SP41 Dunlop radial or might even have been a crossply tyre. Back in the early 1960s Jaguar were experimenting with radial tyres and Dunlop on the E-type, but they specified that if you were fitting the Dunlop Radial tyre you had to govern the car to a lower speed, However he Cinturato was fine. Currently there is a tyre made called 185VR15 Dunlop SP Sport, it is not actually manufactured by Dunlop themselves, which is a shame they used to make some great historic tyres. But this SP Sport or Aquajet as it was also called is a 1968 tyre (so OE on the series 2 E-types, but it wouldn't have been OE on a 250GTE) Dunlop have also released another range of tyres that they call classic tyres, but they aren't. So i would still suggest Pirelli Cinturato.

9. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

i have updated our 250 GTE Borrani page

https://www.borrani.com/ferrari-wheels/250-gte-2-2.html

If you see any mistakes please let me know.

We are seriously keen to get our Borrani site Correct, so if you do see any mistakes on there let us know and we will get them as correct as we can. thank you in advance for your help.

christc likes this.
  10. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    christc likes this.
  11. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    great photo thank you.

(I'm not sure about their wheel balancing though.)

12. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Hi Diugal,

please see photo and additional info I posted in the original thread - see quote above. Might be usefull as additional info.

Christopher