360 - Brake Booster advice - | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 Brake Booster advice -

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ballvice, Jun 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    I’m gonna five that a shot in the am -
    I’ll get a vacuum gauge connected up and see if I have pressure - and will install a check valve to see if I’m getting pressure.

I’m not up for the engine yoga it’s gonna take to get the fittings off - just yet.
    Thanks so much.
    Dm me - I shot a YouTube video of tonight’s escapades. Lol -

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

if you have a small leak, u should still have some pressure.
    best thing to do is just to check the valve first (blow it , using your mouth, put a condom there if you think its dirty)
    then check hose cracks,
    then the brake booster.
    i dont know how to test a brake booster other than replacing it with a new one.

360 Kiwi likes this.
  3. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i just think of a method to test the booster, although not 100%.
    the blue/white connector, disconnect it, start engine. put ur fingers at the connector, If you got a strong pull of vacuum at the blue/white connector, that means you don't have a leak, at least not a big one.

in that case, it pretty much means your booster is shot, in most cases.

EastMemphis likes this.
  4. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I recently changed my anti-return valve ((aka check valve) on the vacuum line to the brake booster. I tested the old one by blowing through it.

On a recent thread on this issue, Rifledriver pointed out that on early 360s with the dual valves at the engine, a suitable fix for leaking valves on these vehicles was to install the solitary blue/white valve used on later 360s in the vacuum line to the brake booster. As your pictures show, this valve is located about 12 inches or so below where the vacuum line attaches to the booster.

5. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    I think this is the fix if I don’t have a leak. I have a vacuum gauge - but I need to make an adapter for the inner diameter of this hose size - it’s large.

@24000rpm - my challenge is getting those check valves out. I think the inline valve near the booster is probably the best option.

6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i've seen bad booster , just so you know.

7. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    car was built in 99 - so I suspect it’s this - but I want to do the easy cheap fix stuff first.

I am hoping it’s not - I don’t want to have to drain the fluids - but - if I must I must.

I’ll be checking locally for the same Bosch part - just in case.

8. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    ok- just a quick update -

I have boost- I think the boost pump is actually working - so I don't think it is that. I am going to pull the filter screen and see if there is anything in the filter - or "below" the filter -

I've gone out and actuate the ABS (ASR) in the car a couple of times - and will do it a few more times and then pressure drain the brake lines - again -

will see what we get - and thanks all for the great support and input!

9. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
  10. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    THANK YOU for the reminder - I hate when people don't give updates - now you have me looking in the mirror ;)

Here is where I am at the moment --- 3 x flushes with Motil 600 - and no real improvement -

SO

New Pads (Brembo) all the way around ---- under normal driving - way better - but would NOT trust these to have a spirited drive and attempt an emergency stop...

What I "THINK" the issue is with this car is the Combo ABS/Proportioning valve....

I have a bud that has the Matco Tool that has ALL of the Ferrari codes - etc -and he wants me to bring it by so he can hook it up - and see if he can "see" anything AND - see if he has the ability to replicate the SD2 for a flush of the ABS unit....

IF that doesn't succeed - (today I will check to see if there are ANY fuses / relays for the ABS and will replace them and test)......then the next step will be to replace the ABS pump/system. ALL of the calipers are in excellent condition - so I don't suspect those being an issue.

I am also going to replace all of the brake lines - to see if that provides any additional releif ----

so the bottom line - NOT sorted yet and still have some things to do/try - but 20% better than they were before.

11. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

wait, did you replace your brake booster? That's a better bet than brake lines or ABS unit.

f355spider and EastMemphis like this.
  12. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    looking at doing that now -

Trying to find one as we speak - but also want to rule out anything that is obvious that I haven't thought of yet...

13. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Something else to check. Look at the fluid reservoir and check it for any interior deterioration. The reservoir on my 360 was deteriorating and small pieces of the plastic were ingested into the master cylinder and cut the seals. Symptoms were the same: hard break peddle, weak stopping power, no ABS. Interestingly the reservoir is a Bosch part and the plastic looks very similar to the old Bosch fuel pump which has given us so much trouble.

14. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    we replaced the Clutch master not too long ago - and I didn't see any issues when we pulled it - this entire brake issue is perplexing -

PS - the ABS proportioning system is NOT cheap lol

15. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

isn't abs proportioning system also know as abs pump/unit?

16. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    Yes. One in the same

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    Before I go down that path on the ABS ECU --- does anyone have the Bosch Part number handy?