360 - Manual Transmission Rebuild/Replace | FerrariChat

360 Manual Transmission Rebuild/Replace

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ballvice, Sep 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    Sigh -it happens ... ;)

I have a 99 Gated 360 --- I have developed a whine in 5th and 6th gear - pretty pronounced - not getting better....

regardless of the "cause" - this is probably going to require 1 of 2 things... A rebuild - or a replace...

so two questions for the group...

1 - Rebuild - has anyone PERSONALLY had their 360 gear box rebuilt - and do you have someone you would recommend? Humbly - I am looking for someone with ACTUAL experience please - no offense - but I don't want a "I know a guy..." too much can go wrong --- if you're tracking ;)

2 - Replace - is there an internal difference between the manual gated and the F1? Would an F1 drop into a gated 360? Supposedly it is a "manual" hydralic so is it the "same" gearbox?

Thank to all in advance -

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

1. well I didn't actually rebuild a 360 gearbox but I did open up the whole thing and check for synchros and gears, just for curiosity. Took me 2 weeks, about 3 hours a day, including removing the gearbox itself, all by myself, except when physically separating the gearbox from the engine, I got a little help from a buddy. I personally think they are quite straight forward to replace be it a bad synchro or a worn gear, etc.

2. according to parts diagrams, no , there's no difference, even there are, they are interchangeable.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

UrbanHero, Kevin Rev'n and imahorse like this.
  3. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    THIS!!!!!! ;)

PERFECTO ;) - a couple of questions...

How long ago was this?

PS - This is what I suspected - how hard was it to source the parts?

Rough idea the parts costs?

I 100% suspect a failing bearing with the whine - but if I am going to pull it out - may as well be prepared to refresh it all.

The one person I trust locally to do it is slammed getting ready for the Run-offs - so I'm on the fence.

Low milage F1 is about 8-9K so Im on the fence - would prefer to rebuild vs - replace -

TY SO MUCH for the awesome reply

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

like Dec.2019.
    parts? scuderiacarparts.com, ricambiamerica.com , or even ebay for used parts. If you have enough experience to eye-ball the part's wear and tear, a good used parts is not much different from a new one. Except bearings of course. You can't tell a bearing's health by just looking at it. LOL.
    I am in China so I can't help you with that.

my personal practice is that, if the part isn't worn, don't replace it, especially gearbox parts. Some gears in my 40k kilometer car is just as new ones.

If you are hiring somebody else to do it, labor could be more than parts, I believe.

5. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    yeah - it's over my pay grade to tear open a gear box - so it will be done by someone else -

I guess the moral of the story is you really don't know until you crack it open -

6. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    How many miles and was the gear oil changed every few years?

7. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    I bought the car in January. So I have not had it that long. The service records were not complete

8. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Maybe a stupid question: Have you checked for an oil sheen in your coolant tank? The symptoms you describe could be a failed heat exchanger. When coolant gets into your transmission, bad things happen.

sparetireless, 2NA and imahorse like this.
  9. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    I actually have an early 99 that needed a trans rebuild in 2017 (gated). The parts that ended up being replaced were the 1/2 synchro, the 3/4 synchro a roller bearing part number 184020 and some bushings. The Boston Sportscar Company did the work. This was before I bought the car So I don't really have any other details other than that. All that I can say is that is shifts very well now.

10. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    I haven't drained the fluid yet - but it's the top priority ---

1 - Metal present?
    2- Fluid color
    3 - Fluid volume (I am hoping they got it right when they changed ALL of the fluids in the car)

Great advice - I will update everyone this week

11. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

can you drain the gearbox fluid yourself? you only need to remove the rear belly pan to access the hole.

take a picture of the drained fluid and the drain plug itself so that we can determine if there's coolant in your gearbox

12. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    When your drain the fluid, if you are comfortable pulling the rear bumper (not too difficult. Aldous has a great step by step) I'd recommend checking the screen filter on the side of the gearbox.

13. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Change the motor mounts first if they are not new, will clean up many noises

14. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Frank, you have a PM.