430 - Is this normal? Crank pulley issue | FerrariChat

430 Is this normal? Crank pulley issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by alvin87, Sep 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alvin87

alvin87 Karting

Mar 14, 2013
    Renton, WA
    Full Name:
    Alvin
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

last week I noticed a burning smell then smoke coming from the front of the engine. I was able to make it back home. Yesterday I finally was able to get it on the lift. The first thing I notice was the crank pulley. It looks like it was grinding against something but can’t figure what can possibly touch it. It looks too shiny for it to be normal. Anyone ever experienced this?

What I do know is that the ac condenser pulley was shaking leading me to believe the burning smell and smoke was coming from that. The car runs and idles fine.

Thanks in advance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 3158599 Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I would start by looking at tensioner pulley right next to it .. pictures are not that clear but it looks off

Or could the ac compressor when engaged is frozen / very hard to turn causing belt to smoke as well as put tension on pulley and pull into crankshaft

Check it out with engine running and ac on
    Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Take the belt off and see if anything is tight, if it has been smoking then renew it. Nearest VW garage will have the correct belt.
    Sort that before you try running the engine

4. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I'd take the belt off and try jiggling everything in the immediate vicinity to see if anything is loose.

flash32 likes this.