Qs on brake and clutch fluid flush, thank you in advance. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Qs on brake and clutch fluid flush, thank you in advance.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Tifoso1, Jul 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #26 Steve Magnusson, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Just scaling the photo they seem about 30mm long overall so I think it will fit into place, but you'll just have the same problem as you won't have room for a 3/8" square thing to rotate it. If the outer body was hex shaped or had some flats, rather than round, you could put a wrench on that to drive it (that's how EDoug's and Cassidy's solutions work -- enough of the 12mm hex of the tool sticks out from the plug to use a wrench to drive it).

2. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Steve has anyone ever converted to dot 5. I have done this on old vettes and silicone fluid is non caustic and is a lubricant

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    It also repels water not mix. Took a small container and put dot 3 and almost as much water and shook it up. It mixed perfectly. It just looked like twice the amount of brake fluid.

4. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Think about that in your brake system.

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I can't recall it being discussed before, or much, here, and I have no experience with DOT 5. However, I would only make the switch if a system was completely cleaned and all seals replaced -- i.e., after a complete system restoration, starting with DOT 5 would be reasonable IMO, but just draining a DOT 3/4 system and refilling with DOT 5 wouldn't be great. Also, there's quite a bit of internet discussion that DOT 5 has some foaming issues in ABS systems (so no issue for older F or older vettes, but I've noticed that my wife's ABS-equipped 2020 MB still specs using DOT 4 or DOT 4 plus).

6. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Not sure if I should make a new thread with my questions about rear differential and transmission fluid change or just continue with this since everyone has been so kind to jump in to help me already. My f/u question to the differential and transmission fluid change is how many gaskets do I need, I counted a total of 5 plugs removed, 2 filler and 3 drain plugs. I know drain plugs must have a crush washer to properly seal, does the filler plugs not need crush washers? Also, are they the same size crush washers for all 3 drain plugs? Again, I am using "True Driver's Car" (http://truedriverscar.com/docs/testarossa_gearboxOilChange) as the how-to guide and one of the washer is no longer available at Ricambi.

Again, I apologize before hand for all these stupid questions, thank you for your attention and patience as I am trying to learn what I can first so I don't screw anything up.

7. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Sure, you cant run it in ABS for sure but given the parameters you just discussed I would do the TR. Its great stuff and has really nice chemical qualities.

8. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I have changed over vettes by just doing a flush with Dot 5 and had years of great service. Once its in you dont have to ever touch the system again.

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Correct

Both filler plugs should also have fresh sealing washers.

No -- here are my notes on the various Copper washer sizes needed (and they need to be new or freshly annealed -- i.e., dead soft -- do not reuse an old one as-is):

Gearbox fill plug, Transfer Case fill plug, Transfer Case drain plug = 10263460 = 22mm ID x 28mm OD x 1.5mm thick (but 22 x 27 x 1.5 also works)

Large Gearbox Drain plugs (2) = 10265160 = 35~35.5 mm ID x 41 mm OD x 1.5mm thick

10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    As stated before, re use copper sealing washers. Heat up cherry red with propane torch hanging from hook, quench in water = annealed.

11. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    turbo-joe likes this.
  12. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Hi Steve. Tools have arrived, here are a couple of measurements of the 12180. Not sure how these sellers are measuring their tools as the product description states it being 11 x 5 x 0.6 inches.

Attached Files:

13. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I also bought the stubby hex set, figure I can use it for the transfer case fill plug as well. With a 3/8" breaker bar, it comes out to about 47mm.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Looks like the short leg of 12180 is a little longer than the short leg of the Craftsman tool that I modified so the short piece you'd cut off may be a little longer (you'll want to maintain the 32mm dimension for the short leg as in my sketch of post #17).

Describes the size of the packaging (not the contents).

turbo-joe likes this.
  15. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Yes. ~24mm will need to come off as oppose to the 18mm from your Craftsman.

LOL, you are right, the plastic bag it came in is about that size. This reminds me of the old Chinese idiom of "Carving the boat to seek the dropped sword".

turbo-joe likes this.