My next F car...F12/Portofino/Roma? | FerrariChat

My next F car...F12/Portofino/Roma?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by KY _Soldier, Aug 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Just sold my 612 OTO this week. For those of you who know me know it was my first F car and I searched almost two years to find it. If I could have afforded to keep it and get another I would have. When I bought it my girls were 7 and 9 and I was recently divorced. Fast forward I got remarried and the girls are 12 and 14 and likely not as much of a consideration to ride in it (the older one doesn’t like the attention lol). Anyway my wife and I loved using it as a date night car as the lines were classy and understated. I loved owning a truly gentleman’s Ferrari. It’s time to find the next F car and I would like to get something slightly more updated but stay refined. I like the V12s but am not against the V8s. I loved the glass roof of the OTO so a glass roof or convertible is a definite plus. I’d prefer to get something whose depreciation has plateaued or at least declined. My wife isn’t a fan of the FF/Lusso and I can’t say I blame her. Looks are polarizing. Can’t deny how good they are but I l appreciate great design. So in my mind I’m between an F12 or Portofino. My max budget is about $200k. I could stretch and go for a Roma which I feel is the true successor to the 612 and hope it doesn’t get crushed in the first year or so as far as depreciation but I couldn’t keep it for a few years knowing I’d take a decent hit once more hit the market. So for those who have owned 612/FF/F12/Portofino I am curious what you liked etc. Based on what I’m looking for, what are your thoughts?

Attached Files:

Bundy likes this.
  2. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    For your budget, unless you really wanted to do the ordering process you might be better off waiting for the first used Roma’s to come available. I too am interested in the Roma, have to see it in person.

The F12 would be a great choice though, and it makes the good V12 sounds. I’ve got an 812, and that’s what sold me on that car. I had configured a Roma back in March when I ordered the 812.

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

F12 case closed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11, LVP488, Gh21631 and 3 others like this.
  4. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    F12 everyday and twice on sunday
    I passed on a '17 with 15k mi, all the options but also minor rear diffuser damage, asking $200k. Prices will gradually become more favorable but the steep part of the depreciation curve has already passed.

Gh21631, italiafan and SeattleStew like this.
  5. KY _Soldier

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Agree with the logic on the steep depreciation passing. Man it seems like 90% of the used ones are black. I like the colors that show the lines. I also love the brown and red or other than typical monochromatic interior colors.

Bundy and ryalex like this.
  6. ScottJon

ScottJon Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Hollywood. Ca. USA
    Full Name:
    Scott Leibow
    F12 and you can get with under 10K miles for $200K right now

I love mine

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I don't know if you've seen good wrap work recently, but you could get a neutral black or white and then wrap it an exciting color for $4-5k. Makes it super easy to clean too, just a duster, microfiber towels and ammonia free windex in the trunk and you can wash it anywhere in a few minutes.

If you even *hear* a Portofino and then an F12, there's no question you're getting the F12. Portofino makes sense if convertible is your first priority, and then maintenance plan.

8. KY _Soldier

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    I've heard that said by several folks! I am definitely leaning towards an F12 right now. Wonder what the bottom of the depreciation curve looks like before it plateaus and rises? 150k? 175k? I thought for sure the 458 would be much closer to 100k by now but it seems to hold steady in the mid 100s and even uptick this year. Depreciation isn't my number one concern but certainly I'd prefer to buy closer to the bottom.

ryalex likes this.
  9. Herane

Herane Rookie

Jun 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam
    F12 100% in my opinion as well. I would say they are nearing the bottom of the depreciation curve and it is mainly dependent on mileage at this point. I have mine listed for sale at about 180k, 2014MY with 30k miles

10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    F12 without a doubt. It is a legendary ferocious super sports GT car. Not at depreciation bottom, but closer than the others, and IMO over the next decade will hold more value than Porto or Roma (both are not that special, again IMO).

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    italiafan and Texas Forever like this.
  12. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    well if depreciation is a main factor, then F12 is the obvious choice. No way PF and Roma dont plummet really hard in the coming years, while F12 is probably quite close to bottom. V12 are also being rarer and they might be viewed as a collectible in the future... Not sure they will increase in value, but that will probably defend them against further depreciation much more than the plethora of V8 that will be available from Ferrari alone. Then if driving sensations are important to you, that V12 instant kick and furious growl are definitely unique. Last, as a Ferrari enthusiast I always get excited seeing a F12 in the street. Not half as excited when I see a PF... (have seen a Roma yet)

13. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    as soon as they hybrid the V12 with electric motors the older V12s will go up. my prediction.

Bundy and 350MH83 like this.
  14. maxaret

maxaret Rookie

May 16, 2020
    While I really liked the looks of the Roma when it was first announced (probably because I'm an Aston Martin fan), I found the first reviews quite off-putting:

Hence, I'd also suggest to go for an F12.

BusterX likes this.
  15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    F12. Absolutely no comparison. It's simply the most beautiful front engine V12 since the Daytona.
    The Portofino is a nice car. The F12 is an amazing Ferrari.

Caeruleus11, Bundy, italiafan and 4 others like this.
  16. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Drive them; they are so different that I am confident you will walk away with a clear impression of which one is right for you.

17. fuoco

fuoco Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    The F12 for sure, this is coming from someone who always hated the modern front engined V12 from Maranello. I started looking closer at the F12 about 2 months ago, then once I appreciated the lines nothing else would do and had to buy one. Got mine 3 weeks ago it's just the best. I see the design will age well and eventually be a classic.

RogGT-R and ryalex like this.
  18. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    And to be fair, the Portofino is a fantastic, well rounded car that almost any other manufacturer would have as their flagship car. It gets straight As.

It's a perfect Ferrari for the buyer who is a little older and perhaps coming to Ferrari after some MB, Lexus and Porsches. But it's all-around useability and purpose makes compromises in edgy excitement.

I was intimidated at first by the F12 based on the reviews, especially Clarkson and Vicki's which had a lot of sliding and exclamation that it was too much car. After a few miles on my first morning (which was a 700 mile day), I found that driven normally it is actually very calm and civilized. It's not until you get to 7/10s driving that you start to feel that the car has a larger learning curve than some of the easier to drive models.

blkfxstc likes this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    F12 or Porto.
    The Roma which is made for people who find a Ferrari too scary will more than likely be a dissapointment seeing that you come from a real Ferrari.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. KY _Soldier

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Drove both Friday and liked the Portofino but the F12 really spoke to me. I can see why so many 612 owners go to F12’s after. Lusso could have been an option to but the Mrs doesn’t like the lines. In her defense the F12 is much better looking but doesn’t hold four.

Caeruleus11, Bundy and ryalex like this.
  21. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    fuoco, Gh21631 and ryalex like this.
  22. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    Just go for the F12 coming out of a 612 ,I don't see how you would be happy with a V8, once you experience the V-12's there no going back!

Bundy, day355 and ryalex like this.
  23. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not a fan of portofino's exhaust, throttle response, transmission program, interior. Anything but a portofino.

24. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Hi Eric,

Glad I found this thread. Your 612 was beautiful.

I think you and the Mrs will love an F12. Sounds like you don’t really need 4 seats if your girls aren’t clamoring to ride in a Ferrari. As we’ve discussed, the FF is a helluva great car at about half the price, too. I think both the F12 and FF are close to the bottom of their depreciation curves. There is nothing like a handbuilt Ferrari V12.

I personally wouldn’t consider a Portofino or Roma for even money, but would understand why a diehard mid-engine fan might choose a 458 instead. Good luck with your search!

Gh21631 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  25. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    F12 is your traditional Ferrari.

PF a little easier to live with, roof that goes down for open air or stays up for coupe. My wife would rather ride in the PF than other Ferraris.... as a generalization I would think PF= easier date night car.

Both cars play their roles so well..

I agree PF= a great car/ F12= great Ferrari.

Bundy likes this.