Looking for Grandfathers Ferrari (NOLA circa 1980s) | FerrariChat

Looking for Grandfathers Ferrari (NOLA circa 1980s)

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by PittJoe, Aug 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PittJoe

PittJoe Rookie

Nov 1, 2011
    All,
    I am wondering if any of you New Orleans natives may be able to help me my brother track down our grandfathers 1967 Ferrari 330 GT (I believe the year and model is correct), white exterior, red interior that he sold to his mechanic in 1981-82 timeframe. We have a lot of memories from that car and time we spent with our grandfather, Dr. Joseph Vella, who we called Dadad. He used to drive the car to Arizona several times per year to visit his sister and drove it frequently to work delivering babies!

The car was in the shop often. It was an Exxon on S. Broad and Tulane (now a bail bond shop) owned by a guy named Jack (can't recall his last name). Dadad finally got tired of the constant repair bills and sold it to Jack and bought himself a little fiat convertible, which my mom totaled in a rear end collision later that year when her brakes went out (yikes).

Dadad passed away in 1983 and we were just in New Orleans talking about him. If anyone can recall who Jack was or have any memories of the car, I would greatly appreciate it!

Best,
    Joe

BigTex and Texas Forever like this.
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Welcome, and thanks for breaking the Sleeping Beauty Spell that had settled over the Louisiana Section.

There's not many current Club Members that go back that far......will be very interesting to see who chimes in.
    Sounds like he did have the right idea, to just "drive the car..."

It was another time.

3. PittJoe

PittJoe Rookie

Nov 1, 2011
    Agreed. He loved that car and he drove it. I wonder if city hall has records on Jack’s Exxon or on old DMV records. Need to do some poking around next time I’m in NOLA. But any leads anyone has would be appreciated!
    Joe

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Parrish Records on sales tax and licensing should score some info, but you are crossing the "data storage" divide!!!!

Expect some shrugged shoulders......

Still, something came up questioning my Eagle Scout rank, not long ago, and sure enough some motived staff handed me a copy, dated 1974!
    Signed by my father.....

So good luck on your quest!!

5. markjeansonne

markjeansonne Rookie

Dec 7, 2017
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Mark A. Jeansonne
    Any relation to the Vella family that lived in Hessmer, Avoyelles Parish, in the 1920s?