Any experience installing Fabspeed CATs on 1983 QV model? | FerrariChat

Any experience installing Fabspeed CATs on 1983 QV model?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Nuno Andrade, Aug 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    I looking for someone that has installed Fabspeed Cats on a 1983 mode. I’m interested to know if they will fit since it needs 2 and if it’s “plug and play” or is there any pipework needed

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    A call to Fabspeed should get you the answers. The cat I got from them years ago was a special offer they made to fchat members. They were very friendly then, don’t know about these days.

3. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    I already sent them an email because on their website it states 84-85 models. Will call them on Monday

4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    84-85 are completely different from 83, they have a single pipe, different size.

5. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    I know about the single pipe but I thought that the size was the same....just x2

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don’t think Fabspeed makes cat for the 83 dual cat, their website says 84/85 but I would still call them and ask.

7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #7 mike996, Aug 23, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    I know the question was specifically about Fabspeed cats but it would be a lot cheaper, easier and just as effective to have generic cats installed at a local exhaust/muffler shop. ;) You don't have to worry about fitting, that's what muffler shops do!

8. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    that is also a good point Mike. I will check available options locally

9. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I haven't compared but I can't imagine how they could possibly be the same size. The 83 is about 1 3/4 inches, the single 84-85 would have to be 3/4 of an inch larger or 2 1/2 inches to match the area of the 83. Just by eyeballing the two I'd say that's about right.

Anyway, here's a link to carid that lists a cat for an 83 if it's of any help.

https://www.carid.com/1983-ferrari-308-exhaust-parts/

Nuno Andrade likes this.
  10. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    Interesting that they are listing the same Fabspeed model as compatible and direct fit to the 83 model.

https://www.carid.com/fabspeed/sport-direct-fit-catalytic-converters-mpn-fs-fer-308-sc.html

I will look to the other ones instead.

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #11 mike996, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Don't get too concerned with what are commonly called "high performance" Cats. The difference between a "high performance" Cat and a modern 'standard' Cat is that high performance Cats are commonly chrome-plated/otherwise very shiny and cost 4 or 5x as much money and claim more HP. BUT The 'performance increase' they offer is in the minds and words of marketing execs. ;)

When somebody is trying to sell you their aftermarket muffler or cat because it will " increase horsepower and torque by [whatever figure]," assume that although they may not be flat-out lying , they are not truthin' either...

I have seen, and been directly involved in several claims about such HP increases (and other "performance-enhancing" auto product claims) and virtually all of them involve the most important aspect of the magicians art - misdirection. ;) One of them for a very well known performance muffler included a magazine ad claim of 13HP increase over stock as per the dyno results which were included in the ad. So it MUST be true, right? THERE IT IS, right there on the dyno!!!

In reality, on the dyno (I was doing the dyno runs) the aftermarket muffler DID add 13 HP... over a clapped out, clogged OEM muffler. But it produced 7 HP LESS than a new OEM muffler. SO...were they lying when they claimed 13 HP over stock? No, they just left out some (rather important) info... ;)

12. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    There is also a core difference anywhere from 200-100 cells resulting in less back pressure.

13. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    Mike thanks for the reply. As mentioned before what I’m looking for is for proper sound of the car...not so much increase performance. I just wanted a CAT converter that will let the car “breathe” better and with decent quality. I will take your advise and go the the local shop....probably will take the CAT on hand so I don’t get the F-price tag

14. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
  15. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Hi Phil,
    You have a little bit of apples and oranges going on. Your top illustration is a catalytic version and the bottom is a non-catalytic version. The 1983 parts diagrams are harder to find, but the illustration below is the '83 with cats version showing two cats and a smaller muffler chamber.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Brian,
    That is great. Thank you for finding this, but is that of a QV? I have not seen any of the QV with cats on it. Can you send me the link to where you found that?

miketuason likes this.
  17. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    If you're going with a custom installed catalytic - I would suggest Magnaflow's universal spun converters. They use a metallic substrate (200cells per inch, as opposed to typical 600cpi or so). They're quite small and work really well, and different configurations might be available for the metallic substrate (pipe size & termination direction/offsets, etc.) I used one of these for one of my non F- vintage carbed car, and it works great. Really cleaned up the stench..

They're just dull stainless and turn golden colour pretty quickly.

I don't know the pipe size of the '83QV, but here's a starting point for you. Most of these are just 8" long, from inlet to outlet with a 4" body diameter, making it easy to fit almost anywhere and in anything. Not CARB compliant though.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-59956

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nuno Andrade likes this.
  18. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I posted it earlier, the ‘83 pipe size through the cats is 1 3/4 inch (45 mm)

myronx19 likes this.
  19. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Phillip, post #15 Is for the 1983 QV and only 1983 QV has the two cats which are different size from the single cat 84QV and 85QV.

20. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    #20 Fabspeed Motorsport, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Can you give me the site you found this? I need to compare part numbers to see is ours will fit.

21. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Why do you want catalytic(s) at all? I thought you were exempt in TX after 24 years, from emissions. I have an 83QV, which I received with hollowed out cats. It doesn't smoke or smell bad, so no motivation to install "real" ones. It's only slightly louder.

22. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Re Texas, it depends on how you choose to register the car/how you plan to use it/where in Texas it is registered.

Some areas have emission inspections, some don't - for example, San Antonio doesn't; Dallas does. If you register it as a normal car, it has to be inspected annually, which includes emissions if the area requires it. If it's 25 years old it can be registered as an antique and does not have to pass any inspections but is limited to driving to/from events, to/from a shop doing work on it, etc. It can't (legally) be used to go to the grocery store, the local bar, whatever. ;)

I removed the cat on my 328 because my 328's slow down light system does not work due to the failure of the module. I didn't want the cat in place without the ability to detect a problem with overheating. I suppose it wouldn't be all that difficult nowadays to find some sort of sensor system that would monitor the cat's temp and alert me if it overheats. But I admit I haven't done anything about that. But I should...I'd prefer the cat was there, which is a change of view for me from a few years ago.

I have changed my view of Cats on a car for a couple of reasons: Modern cats don't adversely affect performance and they do reduce air pollution. I never worried much about the latter but I have to admit that as I've gotten older, I've seen how the changes in emissions standards/vehicle testing have improved air quality in places that were notoriously bad years ago.

Yeah, I know the argument against a cat on these cars is typically, "I don't drive it that much so it doesn't have any real adverse effect." That used to be my view but I find myself steadily moving the other way. Absent the concern for a temperature monitoring system on these cars, there is no downside to having a modern cat on the car was far as the function of the vehicle is concerned.

Brian Harper likes this.
  23. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    True but you still need to look at it in context and understand the scale. A handful of Ferraris driven on Sunday compared to millions of people commuting every day in a pickup truck with a 5 liter engine. It's inconsequential. But if you want to view it simply on the principle I can respect that so long as we don't try to throw a guilt trip on anyone who, for one reason or another, has deleted certain emissions equipment on their own Ferrari.

and, for what it's worth, I lived in LA in the early 70's so I know fully well the importance of vehicle emissions controls. It was something that had to be done, there was no way out of it.

24. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Concur re LA (and Mexico City). I lived in both for about the same amount of time and saw the air improve considerably as emissions regulations tightened. When you consider the performance of modern engines - FAR beyond what we thought was 'powerful' in the Muscle car era - it's frankly amazing. It's even more so when you consider the performance is achieved with minuscule emissions by comparison.

25. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That's true Mike but the cars built between about '75 and '80 are chained to some abysmally crude devices and I'm of the mind that they should be exempt. The original draft of the California law did, in fact, have a 25 year rolling exemption but it was traded in a last minute compromise for the 1975 freeze. I think a major issue is that you just can't get a lot of this old equipment which makes it difficult to impossible to maintain compliance. There just aren't enough of these cars on the road to make any sort of impact, it's time they modified the regs and adopt the rolling exemption.