California T defroster vent removal | FerrariChat

California T defroster vent removal

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by lotusstv, Aug 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lotusstv

lotusstv Rookie

Jun 9, 2019
    Parkland FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Stenglein
    Anyone know how the small defroster vents on top of the dash by the doors come out? Mine are sticky! How about removing a door panel? I need to address the sticky mirror control.

Thanks in advance
    Steve

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have cleaned sticky buttons on my F430 Spider and Mercedes convertible with isopropyl alcohol, with excellent results.
    Steve

3. lotusstv

lotusstv Rookie

Jun 9, 2019
    Parkland FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Stenglein
    Slviper2

Thanks for the tip. I used goo gone for seat buttons, window buttons, center bridge and steering wheel buttons. You lose the matte finish and you get a shiny plastic look and it retains the white art work on the button. It’s not as nice as a new button etc, but my interior is black and you don’t really notice the different finish. In fact the shiny buttons look good on the steering wheel next to the carbon fiber!

I wanted to remove the defroster vents as they are right next to the leather on the dash. Is the isopropyl alcohol safe near the leather if I taped off the vent etc? Or will a little alcohol harm leather?

Thanks
    Steve

4. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It can be used to remove ink stains from leather (google it) that being said I used a very small amount just damp cloth, and only on the sticky surface. I would not want it getting on my leather.

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Steve,

I tried to pop open the the small defroster vents on top of the dash and it just wont give so I gave up.

I have replaced my door tweeters & rear tweeters with Audison Voce 1.1 Tweeters and I am super happy. Much better sounding than those crappy JBL

Attached is the workshop manual instructions for removing the door panels.
    Ensure you follow each step precisely. I missed one step and almost broke the door handle.

Please see attached.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Attached Files:

6. lotusstv

lotusstv Rookie

Jun 9, 2019
    Parkland FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Stenglein
    Whathech,

Thanks so much for the door panel info, much appreciated! I was able to remove the defroster vents, I used a putty knife with rounded corners and gently pried upwards at different spots on the vents and they came right out.

Steve

whatheheck likes this.
  7. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    If you want the parts done correctly, just send us an email for any of your needs. Robbie

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    My mistake, it's the dashboard speaker grills that I have been trying to remove to replace the stock speakers and those darn things just wont release.
    I gave up............

Dan

9. lotusstv

lotusstv Rookie

Jun 9, 2019
    Parkland FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Stenglein
    Dan,

Thanks again for the manual! I didn't get far on the door panel removal. Got the screw out of the door handle, but can't figure out to to remove the leather trim piece and don't want to force anything. Any tips on how the leather handle pops off? The manual says 'remove the trim panel'. It doesn't exactly just fall off.

Thanks,

Steve

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Steve,

Yes, remove the one screw holding the leather trim piece. I missed that screw and bent the leather trim piece badly

The leather trim piece is held in place by super tight friction held clips with sharp teeth. It is held on there super tightly. Totally unnecessary. Stupid design.......

The internal metal clips will give and release but will take a lot of force.
    Use three metal wedges or screw drivers and pry it out carefully. I broke two clips on mine.

hope that helps

Dan

11. lotusstv

lotusstv Rookie

Jun 9, 2019
    Parkland FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Stenglein
    whatheheck likes this.
  12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner