Common/Repeated Problems on 599? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Common/Repeated Problems on 599?

Discussion in '612/599' started by 599ing, Sep 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    I just had an unusual wiper motor failure. I probably used the wipers twice in 7 years. Dropped off at the dealer.
    While the motor is being replaced, the ball joints ( right side is our of spec) and a leaking cam gasket.
    But on the good side, Ferrari is offering 25% covid discount for the month of Sept! Yipeee.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Wha? Is this just a Canadia thing?

3. 412monzaindy

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    The 25% or the wiper motor

4. Speed and Angels

Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    I have had my 599 for five years now, I could not tell you how to turn on the windshield wipers.

nota400 likes this.
  5. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    I changed my wiper motor too cos of failure afther about 62kkm.

Now my bank2 camshaft position sensor (intake) is bad so I need to change it. One day job cos all intake must be disassembled.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą FerrariChat

6. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    JrBucksco and George Vosburgh like this.
  7. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    Tie rod ends, ball joints (heavy car), leaking shocks, instrument cluster lighting and display goes bad---but what glorious music of the Valkyries from that V12 !!

George Vosburgh likes this.
  8. 412monzaindy

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Body ECU is next. 5k from the dealer

9. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    I think i've replaced all but one of my parking sensors now !

10. Ds599

Ds599 Rookie

Jan 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Q100
    Came back from the annual maintenance from my local f dealer. I have driven almost 4000 km on my 599 this year (bought mine with only 7000km last year from a collector).

Turns out to be a bigger than expected service when they found out front shocks, radiator and fuel injectors have leaks. All parts replaced as per dealer (to keep the warranty eligibility). Painful bill to pay but all was forgotten when the car comes back ;)

My screen start to blink too and was told Ferrari stop making parts now. It will require a shipping to Italy for future fixes....

Apart from the above (and a rear light replacement) , all is great after 1 year of ownership. Still in love with the sound!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomc likes this.
  11. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Sorry to hear about your problems, but I noticed front shocks and other leaks are common with cars which do not run - 7000 km in more or less 10 years is not enough ! Regarding screen starting to blink, ( happened to mine) it is an other painful bill but you can find on different posts where to repair cheaper than to go thru factory ( depends where your car is based)

SonomaRik likes this.
  12. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    About shocks leakage it’s not true. I drive my car often, now I have over 76kkm on it. I changed front shocks because of leakage. I changed also left head cover gasket. So even if you drive a car something sometimes happen.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą FerrariChat

13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    My two biggest problems are:
    1) I always want to drive it
    2) I smile every time I get into that car and start it

The rest is pretty much noise.

nota400 and bamaman like this.
  14. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I had my car in at Competizione and Fernando told me the front shocks were slightly leaking. He told me to wait. The car has 44K.

15. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    You must be an exception ! or Polish roads ? I noticed thru many posts, cars in the States which run less than in Europe are more often prone to these shocks troubles.

16. AhmetUz

AhmetUz Rookie

Aug 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    AHMET
    What I have observed so far;
    Cracked radiator, flashing tft screen, sagging headliner, and timing variator solenoid valve.
    However, these are not recurring problems, when I bought the car from the first owner, it was at very low mileage and had not been used for a long time, these errors did not recur after they were fixed.

17. 412monzaindy

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    On my 2007 599 all the items in 10 years. Cam gaskets leaking twice, wiper motor, tie rod ends, ball joints, cluster, TPMS, parking sensor, body computer, short harness to the front bumper sensors, engine light issue always on or off, clean exhaust manifold due to excessive carbon build up. Vacuum leak. Collant hoses at rear of intake, Engine light still on. dealer performed smoke test under the direct of FA. Requires new manifolds due to pin holes in both L/R rear sections. I am going to have the manifolds changed. sticky buttons and may be the clutch ( 55%) the car has 44,000 km. I am considering selling but maybe not.

18. AhmetUz

AhmetUz Rookie

Aug 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    AHMET
    As far as I understand, you have owned the 599 for a long time. I want to ask something, do you understand from the reaction of the car that the clutch needs to be changed or is it necessary to measure it at some time intervals ?

19. 412monzaindy

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Unless the use of the clutch has been excessive, such as stop and starting with a lot of hard accelerating/shift in race mode, the clutch will wear in a normal fashion relative to any other car with a manual transmission. In some cases when driving the 599 with high km/mile on the original clutch, you may notice a much harsher take up. But it is still a good idea to have a reading of the clutch from a qualified technician.

20. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

I now have over 46K on my 599 with the original clutch. I had reading on it at beginning of the season, still over 50%. My front shocks are now leaking badly, I have the new shocks and they will go on in the spring.

21. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    Did you rebuild the shocks or buy OEM?

22. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

I'm going OEM only because my guy doesn't have room to keep the car on the rack for weeks waiting for the shocks to come back from Czechoslovakia.

nota400 likes this.
  23. Daytona86

Daytona86 Rookie

Oct 24, 2010
    Relatively new 599 owner. A late 2007 delivered new in 2008. I am the 6th owner, 22,000 miles. Here is what I had done BEFORE purchase as part of the PPI:
    All new head cover gaskets. New seals on the pump and crank shaft. Tranny out anyway so a complete realignment on the transmission. Clutch has 83% left. Motor mounts had dropped. Fuel pumps were good.
    What is irritating are the small not important issues of the computer age. Error codes for the emissions system because a minor leak has popped up at the vapor recovery unit. It is under the luggage rack and I have no intention of taking the back of the car apart to fix it. OK, a drop of fuel escaped into the precious environment.
    Bought an Autel MK808 scanner and when any of these codes come up, I plug in, determine if they are of any real consequence, and reset. Not too often but it saves a bunch of green from going to a service center every time to reset.
    I run only 90 octane and 93 octane non ethanol. That will help keep the expensive fuel pumps running longer.

Rex71 and George Vosburgh like this.
  24. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    What seals exactly did you replace, and on what pump?

25. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    My 599 maintenance experience has been very different from others in this thread. I have owned my 2009 599 (12kmiles) for three years now. It has been bullet-proof. Just oil and coolant changes. I have a lift and do those myself. Love the looks and the way it drives/handles. Probably the best GT car I owned.

Skidkid likes this.