Lusso dead? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lusso dead?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Eric360, Sep 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    I bet the average customer will be new to Ferrari at more than 50%, and will be mainly attracted by the badge that will surely be more impressive than their neighbors X5M.

Altoria F and 456-boy like this.
  2. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #27 Albert-LP, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    The Purosangue buyer will be the one that today buys the Lusso (that is a 2 tons very long four seaters car, not a supercar, sorry: F8 is a supercar) plus many others that want to travel with their family or sports equipments, maybe on some bad roads to reach a restaurant in the country.

Ciao

PS
    Better a raised Ferrari than nothing. You can see what happened with Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio and Stelvio Quadrifoglio: Stelvio still is a very nice to drive supersport car

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I do not consider the F8 a supercar.

Marcel Massini

jjmalez and Dubaicity like this.
  4. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    #29 456-boy, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    The debate about GT cars now being called supercars and supercars being called hypercars...

I think the same as Mr. Massini, an F8 is not a supercar, it’s the same range as the 308 328 348 355 360 430 458 488. They ARE GT cars and not supercars - whereas F40 F50 Enzo LaF are supercars.

Anyway, apart from this debate of designations and names, the Purosangue or whatever it will be called will represent a good alternative to the Lusso.

From another thread, the discussion was about the Lusso already being a kind of SUV, from its space, number of seats, size, weight and performances. The customers of the Lusso were looking for a practical daily car that is a bit different than the standard SUV, thus there choice of the Lusso.

The arrival of the Purosangue will keep these customers - as Ferrari says their SUV will be very different from the others - and will also attract other customers that are used to big Range, Bentley or Urus and want to show the Ferrari badge. Kind of a practical car and also - badly? - a show-off car. But as a public brand that is based on benefits, how could we prevent them from doing more money with a SUV?

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Lamborghini has sold so far more than 10'000 (ten thousand!) Urus.

Marcel Massini

Caeruleus11 and 456-boy like this.
  6. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    I own an FF...and absolutely love it! It can do everything and is absolutely unique.

But need SUV to tow my race car & trailer...New Defender does great job...my first SUV and absolutely love it.

If Purosangue combines both...I will be a potential customer. 2 cars for one! And can then finally get into the F12 for fun days...as I don't drive it because prefer FF over F12.

On this topic...sad to see Lusso go. It is on its own...no other car to compete with. Such a unique concept, great from Ferrari they had the guts to build it. Started with FF and absolutely love mine (I prefer the Pininfarina styling over Ferrari's own).

7. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    For what it's worth, to me the concept that began with the 308 and runs up to the F8 are 'sports cars', not 'super cars' or 'GT cars.'

The Lusso is a 'grand touring car'. A fast and comfortable 2 door car, which has sufficient room to carry the requisite luggage for a 'grand tour' by the driver and a partner. Such a tour could be, for example, between the grand hotels and houses of Europe.

A 'super car', again to me, is something with tremendous performance but limited practicality, particularly with regard to luggage.

Is the 812 a 'super car' ? I would argue that it is not. Which is why I might buy one.

Bas and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    I believe it is far more than that...its a 700hp screaming V12 and offers performance that most sportscars can't match. Its such a hooligan car if you want it to be and are in the mood to tear up a set of tires...its just sooooooooo fast!

mthompson2376 and Bas like this.
  9. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    The key word to all this thread is Unique..

Caeruleus11, 456-boy and 9nb like this.
  10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The SUV platform is currently the most popular. So it makes good business sense to offer what the market wants. Rolls Royce, Bentley and Lambo are doing just that. I didn't know how well though. !0,000 Uri (Uruses) is very impressive.

Boomhauer, 635CSI and 456-boy like this.
  11. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    You can’t argue against the numbers. Prestige SUV’s are an anathema to me and Shooting Breaks float my boat, but I am in a financially insignificant minority.

montpellier and Patricia2020 like this.
  12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Maybe Ferrari’s SUV will surprise and win over the naysayers.

SECRET likes this.
  13. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The Lusso is dead long live the Lusso.
    The revolutionary concept started by the FF and then followed by the Lusso was a turn-point at Ferrari. This unique car that isn't a sedan nor a cross-over nor an Suv or a sports car , happens to be a bit of all of them. In line with the principles established by the Lusso we don't have to be over optimistic to expect a Purosangue that is also ecletic. Ferrari has the art, the creativity and the technology to be able to come-up with a Purosangue that will be a kind of natural evolution of the Lusso but with more valencies and that's why I say long live the Lusso.

14. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    I consider my FF to be the anti-suv. A true grand tourer.

15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm confident it'll be good but it won't be a V12 Lusso.

For me lets put it the Porsche way: If you want a spacious, fast car, your options are the Panamera Sport Turismo or the Cayenne. Now, unless you go offroad...the Panamera ST is by far the better car to have. And if you go offroad (a lot)....better cars are to be had still.

ssahota likes this.
  16. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Growing up in the 80’s in Britain, the mid V8 line was always described by motoring journalists as a ‘supercar’. The standard 911 a sports car but the 911 turbo a supercar. When the 288 GTO and F40 arrived the term ‘hypercar’ arrived. A level above ‘supercar’. We are, of course, talking semantics and how the English language was colloquially developed. For example, terms invented by motoring journalists - should they be considered the rule? If not, we are debating how various sets of people developed the English language, which is rather pointless - you choose whichever you prefer or take to mean.

The logic as I always understood it is that from decades back, mainstream manufacturers had their staple product line, then they wanted a coupe with a bit more power and style (Ford Cortina and Ford Capri for example). The latter was very definitely considered a sports car, or sports coupe. But a Ferrari, with a mid engine and exotic shape, well, calling that a sports car, like a Capri, didn’t seem appropriate. It was considered a supercar, mostly because of its exotic Italian (for British people) badge, its unusual and intimidating engine layout, the wild styling (compared to a Capri) and of course, good (but not always great) performance. A 911 always sparked debate. Was it a sports car or a supercar? Mostly the conclusion was that it was a very good sports car, despite having the rather more exotic rear engine location. It just became so familiar, easier to own than a Ferrari and less exotic in appearance than a 308 for example.

The 911 Turbo presented us with a car that was very powerful and not very easy to own. At least, not easy to own if you wanted to drive it. It needed taming and journalists wanting to sell magazines found it very easy to call it a supercar - the sports car that became so extreme it could compete with the ‘big boys’. The British love a good old underdog story and the 911 Turbo was it. “Humble six pot Porsche blows Ferrari away” etc.

But what to do when the 288 GTO and F40 arrive? Especially the F40. It felt like a race car, very stripped out inside, very loud, hard to drive, a car not so much for the gentleman driver but for the pilot who had skill (and money), not to mention a large set of whatever gives you courage! This was clearly not a supercar, it was something other. Engine in the same place, still looked exotic, many of the clues of a supercar, but just more. The obvious term for a supercar on steroids, was a ‘hypercar’. We used to have supermarkets in the 70’s, then along came some bigger players, using bigger warehouses. They were often called hyper markets. I think it was as simple as reading across. No idea who it would have been but a no-doubt famous British journalist most likely hit on the term to create as much splash as possible in the search to create headlines and sell magazines. Simple, and profitable. And the hypercar was born.

If I am remembering it correctly, and there’s no guarantee of that (!), the F8 is very definitely a supercar. But even the Lusso has an argument to be. It’s sort of exotic looking, it is extreme in its performance - more so than a sports car like a standard 911 - it’s not easy to own (expensive, can bite if you don’t drive it properly) and has a wholly unnecessary but quite wonderful V12 engine. But really, it is probably a GT car. Where do GT cars fit into my potted history above? Well, the great British brands such as Aston Martin, Bentley and even Jaguar, all made cars to crush continents. Big power with sofas for seats and a pretty shape. They weren’t supercars - no mid engine exotic-ness or thoughts about being quick in a race, instead they had a basic shape like lots of sports cars (Capri again - front engine, rear wheel drive, fast back) but they had lots more power, much more prestige and were far more expensive to build and buy. They were designed to get somewhere far away quickly and comfortably, regardless of cost. So since we’re discussing the English Language and it’s meaning where different car types are concerned, spare a thought for that most English of cars - the GT car. Gran Turismo!!

17. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Agree with most of what you have said Lukey, except the GT car bit. Yes Lusso is a GT car, but it is definitely also a supercar (no 911 is IMO).

In fact a GT car can also be a hypercar. eg Speedtail.

ANOpax, Lukeylikey and Boomhauer like this.
  18. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    i'm hoping it is dead cold and buried deep. ugliest ferrari ever with that hatchback.

19. Patricia2020

Patricia2020 Rookie

May 28, 2019
    South Dakota
    Full Name:
    Pat
    I really liked the Lusso.

MDEL, Zenit99 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  20. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Is it the fact it’s a "hatchback " you don’t like it..

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I don't care what the FUV clears the way for. It is sad and tragic. A car for soccer moms and people who only care about the stamp on the car. Truly sad, the FUV is not a real Ferrari in any way.

Long live the Lusso.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    But unlike the 2+2 drop top line of cars, it was not created with the Wives in mind and it has a proper V12.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

PTG1 and Patricia2020 like this.
  23. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Best daily driver ever, love my Lusso.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    When you read the comments from a good few journalists there does seem to be an element of sadness in their comment. The telling statement from some is ‘ grab one while you can’.
    I think they are right. My Lusso is the only Ferrari I know will be keeper. It fits my requirements perfectly and most people I know with a Lusso feel the same plus a good few regret parting with theirs in a bid to be eligible for something deemed better/rarer and now realised that to preserve the value of that rare/ better option they dare not drive it whereas the a Lusso is begging to be driven anywhere and everywhere.

I have 17,000 miles on the clock and it is a far better car to drive now than when new. With the
    engine well bedded in it is turbine like its spool up and howls like a banshee,

My dream car would be built on the Lusso platform with a V12 in a 2+2 layout like the Portofino and a folding hard top roof and a decent boot for touring,

25. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Reality is quite the opposite. More than enough mass produced Ferraris, v12s and other cool cars are produced in the last years. Used car market will not have a shortage of supply for good cars. There will be already more than enough.