430 - Quick Jacks | FerrariChat

430 Quick Jacks

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ray Smith, Sep 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Just received my pair of Quick Jacks model BL-5000SLX for lifting my F430 to do things like F1 flush and, with Stefan's SEST ECU testing my E-Diff. Brake flushing and bleeding will be easier too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Assembling it now. I'll post a link to a video of the car in the air, and another showing all of Stefan's amazing products in action.

ditpixs likes this.
  2. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    I have the same model and it works perfectly with my 360 as well as my other cars. One of the best things that I’ve ever bought for the garage.

Ray Smith likes this.
  3. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Yep. I’ve been quick jacking for over 5y now. One of the best “investments” for the garage...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Ray Smith likes this.
  4. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

5. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    colorfull, 2008F430 and Ray Smith like this.
  6. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I bought one for my 599. Works well with one caveat. There is not enough room to remove the bottom engine panel with the jacks in place. This means you have to raise the car, loosen the panel (29 screws), lower the car, remove one jack, slide out the panel, then raise the car again. You have to do the same two-step putting he panel back. A pain in the you-know-where. I upgraded to a four post lift.

NorCalGuy, Ray Smith and Mimmo Blue like this.
  7. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    What are people's experience with the quickjacks? Is your car rock solid on them(like being on jack stands) or some sway when you push on it? I never felt my cars were rock solid on them. Fine for changing tires but hesitant to climb under.

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

8. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Wow, nice ride. The color is totally cool.

AandSC likes this.
  9. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I did not know you could remove one side...I was vaguely aware that removing the under tray would be tedious because of where the lift points are located. But I would have the same problem with jack stands. I investigated the two post lift that bolts to the floor and would have preferred that but the garage space available makes that problematic.

Thanks for the feedback.

10. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I've used mine for both the F430 as we ll as for my JEEP GrandCherokee, (which actually exceeds the 5000lb limit that mine are rated for). I've had no issue rolling around under the car. There are a couple of things that can improve the level of confidence though: #1) place the "kickstand" and then lower the cylinders, so all the weight is resting on a mechanical support, rather than the hydraulic rams. #2) the rubber blocks supplied with the QJ's are quite "squishy". I like that, because they'll conform to whatever surface irregularity. BUT: the allow some movement of the car (well, more of a "wiggle" than movement). Once you raise it all the way up, try, i mean, REALLY try to push it off the QJ's. you'll see some wiggle, some give, but it's not coming-down. that made me feel MUCH batter about sliding-in underneath.

Ray Smith likes this.
  11. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I’m surprised they fit under the car.

12. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Manda racing and KC360 FL like this.
  13. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Quick Jacks assembled, air tanks filled to 48psi, system filled with 2.5 liters of Liqui Moly hydraulic fluid #20038, system bled, ready for initial lift. Hockey pucks fit perfectly in jack points. I'll post photos of the car in the air Sunday.

14. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Okay, the car is safely lifted off the floor. I used only the short lifting blocks with a hockey puck on top of each. Image Unavailable, Please Login

The puck is barely visible on top of the short lifting block.

The puck is much more visible at the front

That's poor camera alignment not the car tilting. Plenty of space even with a single short lifting block/puck.

This is an oblique view of the car off the ground.

AandSC likes this.
  15. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

I was thinking about doing with with my lift because I don't have the adjustable lift that attaches for my Bendpak. How is the stability with the quick jack on the 4 post stand?

16. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Flea, super stable. Had my car on them for several days and no issue at all. I like that I can use the Quickjacks on or off the lift.

Flea7 likes this.
  17. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Thanks AandSC....I'll give it a go!

18. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I lifted it with a tall block and a puck and it lifted easily. However, I doubt very much whether it will handle two tall blocks or a short and tall block, with or without the puck. It needs enough room for the hydraulic system to get some leverage to help get the car up. It still leaves room to use a creeper and work underneath. All in all a very good value for the money.

Now that I can get to the E-diff I'm buying Stefvan's SEST tool.

19. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    There is actually quite a bit of room. The jacks themselves slide under with no contact at all with the car. Even with a lifting block in place, they still slide under easily. Adding the puck must be done after they are under the lift points. All in all, I'm quite happy with them.

The owner's manual and assembly instructions could use some polishing to reflect the product changes they have made. e.g., the instructions say to use Teflon tape on the threaded parts of all but two connectors. But inexplicably they include a bottle of thread locker (medium) with not a word in the owner's manual about its use. I used Teflon tape which is a PITA because it folds over itself too easily. Expect a few weeps, but no leaks, the first time you use it. In order to torque the fittings you need crow's-foot wrenches and you must calculate the new torque spec based on the length of the wrench. It adds more leverage to the torque wrench so a lower indicated torque value is necessary.

Also, any instructions that call for using Crescent wrenches raises my eyebrows. I learned in the Army working on my tank that a Crescent wrench is the wrench of last resort. They slip off and potentially round-off bolts/nuts. Box wrenches, bleeder wrenches, and even open-end wrenches are more trustworthy. They also can't seem to decide whether to use SAE fittings or Metric. Saying "Using an 11mm Allen wrench will work" on the bleeder screws. Well, a hammer will work, but not exactly achieve the desired results.

They say that if you disconnect the hydraulic lines with the jacks in the locked position and keep the power supply dry, you can wash the car with it on the Quick Jacks. This makes cleaning wheels and the underbody much easier but unless your driveway is completely level (mine is sloped) I wouldn't try it.

However, all things considered, this was a very useful addition to my garage.

Manda racing and TheCook like this.
  20. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    How do you fill the quick jacks to 48psi if you don’t have an at compressor? Do you HAVE to have an air compressor to use quick jacks?

21. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    You can use any type of tire inflator on these. I use a Harley shock pump or my battery powered tire inflator.

BryanJTX likes this.
  22. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I didn't even use my air compressor, it was overkill. I have a little battery powered Craftsman inflator and it took 2 seconds. You can literally buy a $10 bike tire inflator from Walmart and it will do just fine.

23. Skywhale

Skywhale Karting

Aug 17, 2022
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Carsten
    I’m looking to use your method (and for the same reason). What are your exact steps for getting the car on the blocks? I’ve read conflicting methods, all lacking detail… Can you explain step by step?

I was imagining you put chocks on both front wheels, lift one side rear, slide the stand underneath, then lower… then go to the other side rear, lift, add stand, and lower… then go to one front, lift, add stand, lower… and once more for the other side. But I’m not sure that would actually work in practice, and am I trading out the fear of being crushed under a scissor lift with the fear of the stands sliding while trying to get the car onto them?

24. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Its not complicated as you described.
    All I need is 2x jacks and the 4 big cuboid rubber blocks for 4x wheels.
    No jack stands needed. No chocks needed because its not going to move even if you don't have hand brake.

Put jacks under the front of the car, raise the front left wheel a little, maybe just off the ground, then the front right a little, then front left a little more, then front right a little more. 3 rounds later and the heights are enough to put the big cuboid rubber under each wheel. Put the cuboids under each wheel, then lower the jacks so that the tire will rest firmly on the cuboid. Remove the jacks.

Repeat the above on the rear wheels. Or you can do the rears first, fronts 2nd, your call.

After you put the car onto this safe and sound rubber cuboids, put the car in gear, and handbrake.
    voila!

25. Skywhale

Skywhale Karting

Aug 17, 2022
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Carsten
    Sounds easy enough, thank you for the explanation. Very helpful!