Factory PPF | FerrariChat

Factory PPF

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by BG259, Sep 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BG259

BG259 Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    UK
    Has anyone got the factory PPF (paint protection film) on their 488? I have got it and noticed a very slight peel on the drivers front bumper edge. Wanted to know if anyone has suffered the same issue, or has had warranty correct it?

2. Not sure many have suffered the same issue as I don't think many have opted for the factory PPF.

I think your first problem was actually opting for the factory PPF. And not the actual peel.

Take it back to the dealer and see what they say.

Good luck.

3. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I had factory PPF on my TDF and it was a complete disaster. One side mirror was so badly covered that I got the film removed by my dealer. Never again, now I use detailing professionals for a perfect work.

Viperjoe and Ltfor3 like this.
  4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Ild certainly go to the dealer to correct. I would never go for factory PPF because it takes weeks for the paint to fully cure. Adding a film immediately after being painted IMO is crazy. Il hate for you to get some non Ferrari dealer to try to take it off and so does the paint.

Unfortunately to fix the peel is to remove and replace with new film.

5. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Simple rule to remember and live by. Don't ever have anything done to your car by your dealership or factory other than the actual car.

Gh21631 likes this.
  6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    My dealer tells me the Ferrari factory doesn’t install the ppl, they send the kit to the dealer. This factory kit leaves a lot of exposed paint at the corners and doesn’t wrap around like a very well done ppf job.

Gh21631 likes this.
  7. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Hence my advice included dealership.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The flip side to custom cut is the risk of irreparable (outside of repaint) cuts into the paint which I was told does indeed happen. I wouldn't let a dealership touch anything painted or upholstered. However, they are quite talented with mechanical repair and maintenance due to the relationship with the factory including trained technicians, warranties, special diagnostic tools, parts supply and their own as well as OEM repair databases.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Absolutely happens. You need to ensure you have the right people doing what we refer to as a 'bulk" install. It is an art and not many have the talent to wrap a car properly which is why it costs what it does.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Yes, indeed. I was told that they got the talent over time by messing up cars when they started out. Stuff happens but what a horror it must be to see blade cuts in your OEM paint. PPF does not last long so not worth the risk for a disassembly and custom cut of a premier car. Even though you can see edges up close a stencil application is inherently much safer.

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Hopefully not practicing on customer cars.

12. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Unfortunately, not much different than medicine. You have to start somewhere. It is actually, a little scarier when you think about it somebody's life or well being versus a car

Sent from my BLA-A09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    If you have a proper training process/facility it can be done without risking someones car.

GT2goneF likes this.
  14. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    You would think so. I'd like to believe it as well, but there's always the ability factor... Skills you can obtain and improve, ability you are born with.