Classic Ferrari horn sound | FerrariChat

Classic Ferrari horn sound

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by robstand, Sep 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    Has anyone retrofitted their modern F-car with the classic horn sound from the 308/328/Testarossa/etc? You know the one....

DrewH and paulchua like this.
  2. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    Trumpet sound. I think an air horn. The current F sound is just like GM or Ford to me. I wished Ferrari Would offer the option of the old one.

pilotoCS and DrewH like this.
  3. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    FIAMM air horns...Probably not legal now as original equipment.

4. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I swapped my 430 horn for an air horn. Ferraris are not supposed to sound like Buicks.

FChat Sponsor Ricambi America sells the kit - trumpets, compressors, mounting brackets etc. They are NOS 355 parts, and pretty much a straight bolt on swap on a 360 or 430. Not sure about 458 and later.

ginoBBi512 and DrewH like this.
  5. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Or just go to a junk yard and get them off a Fiat. Almost the same Fiamm horns and compressor. Ferraris had Fiamm Road Masters IIRC. I’m putting this set on my vette so people can actually hear me. The Hellas on Amazon are also very close in tone from what I’m told. Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    My 456M came with them, and I believe it was the last Ferrari to have them stock. The problem is, from a US regulatory standpoint, that the air horns do not speak fast enough, so they are no longer legal. It takes a few milliseconds too long for the compressor to move the air and for the horns to sound. Well, that seems like a very hard thing to police, so when I got my 360, I replaced the "Honda horn" as I called it with a proper pair of trumpets. Now it sounds like a proper Ferrari.

paulchua likes this.
  7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I think we need some “classic Ferrari horn sound” videos.

;)

DrewH, toggie and BOKE like this.
  8. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    I replaced the “Buick” sounding horn in my 360 with the trumpet type.

I had to remove the front bumper for placement.

The car now sounds like a proper Ferrari.

Cheers

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    My research points to the 575M being the last, not 456M. The 355 was the last V8.

willcrook and G. Pepper like this.
  10. toparkt

toparkt Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2006
    orange county
    Full Name:
    Andrew Goetz
    My 575m has them .. 2003 , was told dealer installed , factory option .. is that possible ?

11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  12. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Good to know.

13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I want air horns on my 599 ... that is something that will be tackled soon... hate the regular horns

14. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
  15. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I am surprised at this thread.

My 308 has those classic air horns which I do not find to be loud enough or fast enough for my taste. I’ve installed Hella Supertones (118 dB) behind my battery. I don’t use my horn much; only for emergencies such as when an SUV might begin backing out on me in a parking lot.

The Supertones are nice and loud. I can switch back to the stock air trumpets by moving one jumper wire.

16. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
  17. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I remember honking my 2003 456M horn for the very first time while driving through the Beverly Hills shopping district. I stopped at a light and overheard someone say “so that is what a FERRARI horn sounds like !”

Funny because I was also thinking that same thing at the exact same time. It’s a cool horn.

paulchua, NYC Fred and G. Pepper like this.
  18. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It was moving from the 456M to the 360 that got me to change the horn. Couldn't stand the 360 horn.

19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I've never noticed the Fiamms in the 328 to be "slow".

FWIW, Way back when I bought a '79 Alfa, it had the piezo horn, which wasn't very loud, and just didn't seem "Italian".
    So I had a set of air horns installed.
    (I'd mentioned I wanted to get Fiamm air horns, but my family bought me generic truck horns as a gift. Ah well.)
    The shop that fabricated mounting brackets for the air horns also installed a little rotary switch under the dash so I could choose air horn, electric horn, or both.
    (In NJ at the time, the state-run inspection station had a habit of looking for excuses to fail a sports car, so the switch could make the air horns "disappear" temporarily.)
    (E.g. They once failed the Alfa for "asymmetric tire wear" -- for the stock XAS tire tread pattern. :rolleyes: The Alfa shop was a re-inspection station, so it just meant an additional stop.)

The truck horns did have a noticeable lag, so I generally left the switch in "both".
    If I wanted to wake up a phone zombie, I could just tap the horn and get the piezo "eep", but if I held it longer, the air horns cranked up.

At one point, some driver started drifting into my lane without looking.
    When the air horns went off, I could see the flex in his roof when his head hit it. :D
    Must have drove him nuts looking for the truck. :p

G. Pepper likes this.
  20. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I suspect the more likely reason for the Feds to disapprove air horns is that they need a drop of oil in the compressor from time to time, and the Feds have been pushing for "no user serviceable parts" for cars.
    Some new cars even come with plastic covers under the hood so you can't even see the engine. Just the dip stick and the engine oil fill.

Probably originated with the early mandatory emissions controls .... which some car owners ripped out on their own. :p

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I've since put air horns on the 599 - so it sounds like a Ferrari should. but there is no lag either. used the Ricambi system

Auraraptor likes this.
  22. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    The Ricambi kits are no longer available. :(

23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ferrari air horns quit needing oiling many many years ago.

24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #24 Rifledriver, Sep 6, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
    Ricambi may have quit offering kits but Ferrari has not.

If you want to get it cheaper from time to time Harbor Freight offers the exact same horn compressor for under $10.00. Then just buy the trumpets and some hose and you have Ferrari air horns for $300 or so less.

G. Pepper likes this.
  25. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    Not a Ferrari, but my Maserati Merak from 1977 has a town/country horn rocker switch. Hoot sound in town, Italian sportscar skriek elsewhere.

G. Pepper and Jack-the-lad like this.