Any experience installing Fabspeed CATs on 1983 QV model? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Any experience installing Fabspeed CATs on 1983 QV model?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Nuno Andrade, Aug 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redqv

redqv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2015
    Almost Oregon, California
    Full Name:
    Ron Stevens
    Having grown up in LA starting in the 40’s I watched a lot of change in the air. The early 70’s were truly the worst. But like noted above, a great change has been made for the better. (But there’s still too damn many people. )

I now live at the other end of the state and we only need to smog at the sale of a car. So of course I had to install a “test pipe”. I like the melodious sound but like a hot rodder friend says, it smells like a 49 Oldsmobile . I’m ready to go back to a CAT, but not sure what to get. I don’t need (want) shiny, and it will need to pass smog one of these days, so it needs a bung hole, and I would like it to come with the proper flanges. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Agree re '75-80. The initial implementation of converters/other associated emissions equipment dramatically dropped the power available from the engines of the time. Cams had to be milder, compression lowered, fueling leaned, etc. As far as whether these cars should be exempt from emissions standards, I think it is generally considered that it's not a big problem for the reason you mentioned - there just aren't that many on the road.

As I said, my 328 does not meet emissions requirements because I removed the Cat due to the non-functioning slow-down system. Ricambi has the slow-down modules in stock so I could purchase one, buy a new Cat, and have the system function correctly, as it did new. Since I have yet to do that, I can hardly criticize anyone else for not meeting emissions requirements! ;)

3. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I made my own test pipes, there is nothing unusual or exotic about the flanges, I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure I got them from Summit. You could weld them onto any generic cat that would fit,

4. redqv

redqv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2015
    Almost Oregon, California
    Full Name:
    Ron Stevens
    Thanks kcbapilot, yes I’ve been looking at Magnaflow. Probably have to call them to figure out the right one.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    So with some help of some members here. Thank you. I have been able to tell that the parts are different on the 83 QV. If you would like cats we could recore your cats or you could send us your cats and we could build a direct fit. As buying a 308 cat and trying to fit it into the system it is a different part from Ferrari. How different that I can't tell.

Nuno Andrade likes this.
  6. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    OP.

I still have the Fabspeed CAT or if anyone else needs it. I don't think I'll ever need it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    So to put a bow on this and wrap it up. We actually had a shop unknowingly by the cat for a 308 not telling us that is it a 83 and had two cats. The shop informed us the the entire piece is different, the flanges are different, and the size of cats are different.

8. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    So that's what a Cat looks like. Black on the outside? from use? :)

BLACK HORSE and Big Swole like this.