Driving ff question | FerrariChat

Driving ff question

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Atxmarc, Sep 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Atxmarc

Atxmarc Karting

Jul 30, 2020
    Hey there. Total noob question. Is there any advantage on the wear and tear on the clutch by popping her in neutral at a stoplight? Maybe if on a hill?
    Thanks, ff is amazing.

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #2 ryalex, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    No. They tell you to just hold the brake in first at a light. The computer knows what to do.

I don't think it is good to let it roll backwards in first though it happens at times since there is no inertia movement.

FWIW the DCT is supposed to last the life of the car, but if it doesn't it is $$$. Not sure what it is for FF but I was told $14-16k to rebuild a 458, or $34k or so for a new DCT unit. Hence the advice to keep a warranty while you have the car.

3. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    As far as I know, in very low speed and no acceleration the computer will disengage the clutch itself and put it into "neutral". This can be observed if one drives slowly forward and just don't touches the accelerator pedal (no "gas" so to speak), at a certain point one will notice a change in the engine rpm och sound, and that is when the DCT clutch is disengaged (or put into neutral). As soon as one touches the accelerator pedal, the clutch will engage again and off we go :)

4. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    In my 2012, I observed that after coming to a stop, about 3 or 4 seconds later the gearbox seems to disengage the clutch. I noticed that if I creep up (as if I were in traffic) it keeps the clutch engaged much longer after stopping, maybe 10 seconds or so, anticipating you creeping up again. I noticed that pulling the car in to neutral as I'm slowing down and coming to a stop at a light, it feels like the car still keeps the clutch ready and the revs slightly higher than idle until I'm totally stopped for 3 or 4 seconds again, regardless of me being in neutral. So the computer is doing its thing anyway, it seems.