Interior sound level on highway versus McLaren 570S | FerrariChat

Interior sound level on highway versus McLaren 570S

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Azzuro Blue, Sep 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    I have always like louder exhausts (factory race exhaust on both 360 spyder and Lamborghini Huracan) for the great full tootle sound. I also have a McLaren 570S with factory exhaust. What surprises me is that at cruise on the highway, the McLaren sound level is louder than i would like for talking on the phone. Can anyone comment on the 488 coupe sound level or or compare it to a 570S coupe? Perhaps it is too much to hope for a quiet interior at cruise while retaining the great full throttle sounds we like in these cars?

2. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I have a 570S as well. I'd say the 488/F8 is going to be a little quieter a freeway speeds given you do not modify the exhaust. The difference is really just the valved exhaust allowing a more comfortable cruise. I'd even venture to say the Pista is pretty quiet at freeway cruising speeds.

3. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    I had a 570GT and now a 488 coupe. 488 at steady speed is quieter.

4. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    Do you still find talking on the phone in the 488 at cruise somewhat less desirable than in most regular cars?

5. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    488 GTB owner here. Never driven the 570S, so can't compare unfortunately.

I have a stock exhaust with Capristo variable valve system. I have always driven with valves open, and I find the engine can be quiet at cruising speeds - just kick it up to 7th and ease off a bit (if you're in auto, you'll be in 7th already) and I was surprised how civilized it is. This is the gear in which I can happily converse with my wife. (Then I spot a tunnel up ahead, shift down a few gears, and the conversation ends...)

I tried it the other day for the first time with the valves closed. I was shocked by how quiet it was, in terms of engine noise (overall noise will depend on road surface). I was on a smooth road and it was luxury sedan-quiet. Definitely quiet enough for a phone call. Quiet enough for an introspective on humanity's place in the universe. In other words, too damn quiet for a Ferrari.

Never doing that again! :D

6. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Stock, 488 is less noisy on the inside. I think it's more due to the McLaren's exhaust vibrating the cabin structure/materials than actual volume.

7. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    The 570S is definitely louder in every respect, both inside and outside.

You can take a business call in a 488 Pista at freeway cruising speeds without issue. Now if you had to downshift to pass or something, then that's a different story.

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It really depends on your speeds. If you cruise at lower highway speeds between 110-130 kph then the 488 is very quiet, but if you cruise at higher speeds e.g 150-160 kph or so, it gets rather droning as the valves open which they do at around 150 or so. That is one thing oddly enough the Pista does better from a comfort standpoint. The 488 is drony with valves open.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app