Testarossa Rev Range | FerrariChat

Testarossa Rev Range

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by oo7ml, Sep 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hi,

I only picked up my Testarossa a few days ago and the car has been driving great.

Yesterday, I noticed that the rev counter was a little slow or lazy but the car itself and the engine was fine... the rev counter was more lively the first few days of ownership.

I have brought the car for another spin to record some of the readings in various gears.

Rev Counter Readings

1st gear | 40 KPH (25 MPH) = 1,250 RPM

3rd gear | 70 KPH (43 MPH) = 1,250 RPM

3rd gear | 80 KPH (50 MPH) = 1,750 RPM

4th gear | 80 KPH (50 MPH) = 1,250 RPM

All of these felt / sounded like the car was over 2,000 RPM... but maybe this car drives differently... but I don't recall that from my first few drives last week.

01 - I presume these readings would suggest something is up?

02 - Any idea what this could be, or where to start?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Sticky tach. Mine has the same problem. Look for the thread where I talk about my issue, there are helpful suggestions in there.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

3. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    #3 awatkins, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    This pages lists the mph/1000 rpm from a road test.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4359921

Easiest place to start is check your speedometer against the speed shown by a gps or by a speedometer app on your phone. With that known check the tach using the road test figures .

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Those are all way, way too low RPMs for those speeds. See Section 1 of your OM -- there should be a table of "SPEEDS AT 1000 RPM" for each gear.

Unfortunately, the tachometers of that era for TR and 328 have a history of electrical problems. Some timing lights also have an RPM function to use as a check, or, if you measure the frequency (Hz) of the RPM flywheel sensor signal, and knowing the ring gear has 146 teeth, you can calculate crankshaft RPM from that.

oo7ml likes this.
  5. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for all of the feedback guys.

Unfortunately a lot of the above has gone way over my head :)

I'll bring it to my mechanic who has experience with these cars, and I'll go through the above points, thank you.

6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I own a 90s V12 and yes those values are way low....for example, my car idles at 1,100 rpm