Ferrari 512 BBLM history | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 512 BBLM history

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by tomgt, Mar 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    Correct, Marcel, thanks for updating! Is that facility still open?

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No.
    The building was destroyed and a new public parking garage built. About 30 years ago already.

Marcel Massini

pantera gr4 likes this.
  3. marlon308

marlon308 Karting

Sep 4, 2009
    NL
    Full Name:
    M.E. van der Meer
    On August 23, 2020, I posted a call regarding Boxer engine #00003. I received quite a few responses to this, which unfortunately raised more questions than answers.

With the help of pgrootzwagers and Ferrari Classiche Department, among others, the story of Boxer-engine #003 was unraveled, noting that the famous red book could not be provided because car and engine did not belong together. And in this case, that may be just as well. I don't want to withhold from you the remarkable story of the 1977 Ferrari 512 BB with chassis number #21513 and engine number #00003. In the end, the answers were provided by the car's builder and its eccentric first owner, and the key to this 512 BB's history lay coinciding with Ferrari's assignment to Carrozzeria Auto Sport to transform 512 BBs into Le Mans versions. Carrozzeria Auto Sport is the well-known company of Franco Bacchelli and Roberto Villa, also known as Bacchelli & Villa.

In the spring of 2020 (the corona crisis had just broken out), I was intrigued by the appearance of #21513. At first glance, it was an expanded version as was often done at the time by the likes of Koenig Specials. However, this BB had an aluminum extension with rivets, a roll cage and mirrors that resembled those of a 288 GTO. Further investigation also revealed that the wheel arches had cutouts for custom brakes. The owner gave me the opportunity to examine the car further and in good faith gave me the keys and papers. And what could be better than going out with a Ferrari Boxer during the crisis?

My first impression: the car drove disastrously bad and was in need of a major overhaul but compared to the other Boxers I had driven it was striking that the car was more powerful with more available power than I had experienced with other BBs. During one of the many rides it was clear to me: this is absolutely no ordinary 512 BB.

An extensive overhaul and maintenance was performed. Also the engine was tackled and it appeared that the camshafts were different from those of a standard 512 BB. This was also proven by a roller test: after all those years still more than 400 hp, while a standard BB had no more than 360 hp. The car also drove insanely well (and with a country in lockdown and empty highways, that was just a treat). However, the how and why of this BB was still not clear. The car had been delivered with a different engine number and in a different color. Now the car was yellow and had an engine that was initially delivered to Ch. Pozzi in 1977. There were spoilers on the car that reminded most of the 365 Boxer Competizione.
    Because the story has now also been written by a journalist I don't want to reveal everything that has emerged here on Ferrarichat. I just want to thank everyone who participated, from whom we received tips and information and also people who showed pure interest.

In 2021 I went to Italy together with Robbert Buijs from Cool Classic Club and Franco Bachelli personally gave us more information about this unique 512 BB. We also spoke extensively with the first owner, who actually wanted a 'competition car for the road', to his friends with standard Boxers and a few with a Countach. In 1979, at the request of his wealthy client, Bachelli modified his standard BB, obviously inspired by the 512 BB/LMs. The request was also: build me a 'competizione stradale'. Through Ch. Pozzi, the fast engine *00003* was mounted in the car. In the early 1980s the car also received experimental mirrors and, because the racing brakes simply did not offer the comfort, was rebuilt back to 'standard'.

The car is unfortunately going to be sold. I sincerely hope that a new owner will do with it what the first owner had in mind: a competition car for the road. Boxers from 1977 are allowed on the main events. PM me for more information.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
  5. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    I owned #34445 in 1985 and sold to Bruce Vineyard of Conyers Georgia. It had a blown engine, rebuilt by my friend Mike Gourley of Continental Coachworks.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have personaly sen Engine #0004, in a street car, long neglected here in Houston.

We always surmised the first three "blew Up" in Factory testing, so this is very interesting....19721? Maybe the VIN of the 512BB here.
    In any event it turned out to be the leaky and steaming coolant "Paris Show Car"

In Canada now for many years, disasembled....

marlon308 likes this.
  7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I have BB 21351, engine number not know, but inside are high compression pistons and other camshafts. koenig says 450 hp, so I think some engine parts from the LM inside?

8. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    FYI, BBLM engine internals were the same as the street motors. Build sheets show, IIRC, "Originale" for crank, pistons and connecting rods, etc.. Most owners upgraded their motors with better quality materials (Ti, billet steel and billet aluminum, for example) over time. Hasn't changed bhp ratings all that much (a bit in the torque curve, though), but extended life and reduced maintenance costs. Some motors went "stroker", which caused a spate of failures. The highest dyno sheet I actually ever saw for a BBLM was in the 515 range, though. States they used "trick racing fuel" and that car had a TON of other work done to it by the owner at the time. Totally re-done exhaust (by hand...the shop says, "Never again"), for example. Lucas mechanical fuel injection, though, to supplement the electrical. We ran both on race days.

CW

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sure? as I know the camshafts are different, so also the timing for the valves

10. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Correction. Build sheets show "Normali" or "Normale".

That's what they say. I will re-check them when I can.

Also, I am aware that a couple of motors have been bored out to larger displacements. Those motors were closing in on 6L, IIRC.

CW

11. Frank_Ford

Frank_Ford Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Terra
    Full Name:
    Frank Ford
    If I may, at the 2021 Zoute Concours d'Elégance, 44023 was displayed in Class XI: Jean Blaton "Beurlys" Gentleman Driver par Excellence, with signage implying that it had passed through Blaton first, before being sold in '83 to Gary Kohs in Michigan.

Is there a way to reconcile who those early owner(s) had been?

Attached Files:

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Has this car been sold yet?

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I drove Newmans Koning 512, it had the air intakes from the roof. What a completely different animal to a stock car. the cams really woke it up above 4k rpm, and there's no need to run it below those revs. It just pulled once over 4k rpm, a lot like a fast japanese motorcycle once on cam, what fun. I also thought the 215 front tires really woke up the front end compared to a BBI.
    I kept thinking the gear ratios were shorter the way it ran through the gears, maybe, hard to believe just cams makes such a big difference. In any event Koning really knew what they were doing with these cars, even if some came with questionable bodywork.

Imagine whats possible now with a 512M crank and modern pistons in a stock looking Bb motor.

So much potential in these cars. Even a BBi with pistons and cams should get to 400 horses, at least the one I drove so modified felt like it.
    A shorter rear ratio also makes sense.

14. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

He had that car for sale for a while. It's certainly wild looking with those snorkels. I love the gold wheels.

15. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    If Jean Blaton "Beurlys" was an owner, it was for a very short time. He was a team driver for Swaters' Ecurie Francorchamps in the 70's. Jacques sold it to me as new, and I sold to Gary Kohs sight unseen.

Frank_Ford likes this.
  16. tomdavisferrari@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2013
    Ahoy, bought # 31589 Sept. 1980 for $ 91,000 $ after 1980 Le Mans flop. Owned & raced, drove on streets around Palm Beach 9 years. Engine given to me by Factory night no charge night before 81 Le Mans & Pozzi Team installed. ORIGINAL ENGINE REBUILT BY POZZI 200 RPM'S OFF. @ 7200. tom davis TIDE pozzi ferrari France. 5 O.A. . last ferrari to finish in top 5 O.A. & IMSA class winner 42 years AGO !!! MY 62 nd year RACING MOSTLY VINTAGE FERRARI's THAT i OWNED & DROVE DAILY. [1974 - 2023] tom davis palm beach, Vezelay, France.

George Vosburgh and ivo73 like this.
  17. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    Wow, that tells you how old I am. I was 33 at the time. Went to dinner with Signora Manicardi, Florini, Swatrer (who was then 47) and our wives at Clinica Gastronomica somewhere near the factory. Epic.

18. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Extra special with headphones on

4right and turbo-joe like this.