Fuel smell | FerrariChat

Fuel smell

Discussion in '360/430' started by kurtflies12, Nov 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kurtflies12

kurtflies12 Karting

Aug 13, 2015
    Tx
    Last few time I drove the 2005 430 I could smell a slight oder of fuel upon shut down. Anyone else have this issue? I started it up this morning just to warm it up in the garage . After I put a sheet of cardboard under her to see if it is dripping fuel anywhere.
    Is there a mechanic in the Shreveport area?
    Thanks

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Drop the bottom covers off and have a look underneath, easy enough.

3. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    #3 HIO Silver, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    If "wrenchworthy", remove the access panels to visually inspect the fuel pumps... bet ya one is weeping. Relatively easy to do except on a Spider... but it is doable.

Retail for a pump is btwn $600 and $800.... add your labor.. $0 or $140 per hour.

EDIT.... if your 430 is leaking enough to drip or spot fuel on the ground ya might not wanna fire it up for too long until you have in fact identified where it is coming from. The term "carbecue" comes to mind. Have a fire extinguisher at the ready, OK?

whatheheck likes this.
  4. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    Smell your intakes in the rear fenders. This will tell you what side fuel pump you need to change.

SoftwareDrone and whatheheck like this.
  5. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Is it possible to bridge the relay to run the fuel pump to look for leaks?

6. HIO Silver

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    And if a DIY and to save a few bucks ($150), order the fuel pump from Maserati Parts USA and have it shipped from Europe. Doing so will avoid the EPA's total BS "haz mat fee" simply because it is fuel-related and sourced from a US supplier.

7. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    For the 360 or 430?
    Do you have a part #?

Thanks

8. HIO Silver

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    Mine is a 2001 360... I don't have the PN handy. Is it the same as a 430?

9. kurtflies12

kurtflies12 Karting

Aug 13, 2015
    Tx
    Finally got under the 430 and the problem is the left fuel pump. I have located a pump for 499.00$. Can I do better or is that pretty good?
    Thanks

10. kurtflies12

kurtflies12 Karting

Aug 13, 2015
    Tx

11. HIO Silver

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    That's darn good IMO.

The left pump has the float on a 430, correct?

12. kurtflies12

kurtflies12 Karting

Aug 13, 2015
    Tx
    #13 kurtflies12, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While under the 430 we noticed a hydraulic pump weeping a little. Do I need to replace the brass washers on the banjo fittings or is this a bigger issue? There was not a tremendous amount of fluid but I thought I would fix this while the panel is off.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. chdavis

chdavis Karting

Sep 19, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Smelling fuel on the driver's side recently. Just ordered both pumps, lines to the injector rail, and associated gaskets from Ricambi:

239821 LH FUEL PUMP (W FLOAT)
    239820 RH FUEL PUMP (NO FLOAT)
    181681 FUEL PUMP GASKET x2
    208829 L.H. CONNECTION PIPE
    208831 R.H. CONNECTION PIPE
    196834 O.R. GASKET x2

Total = $1,532.11

Any special tools or anything else needed? Thanks in advance for suggestions!

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The brass washers will be copper, depends what it is but be carefull about getting air in system

15. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Clean off the area on the F1 actuator where the fittings and lines connect and then monitor for leakage. Unless the copper washers were not replaced if they were removed, then they usually don't leak. Typical sources of leakage are the lines themselves and the black plastic cover on the end of the actuator. If there is only a light accumulation of oil and it is not dripping and causing oil to be deposited on the undertray/rear diffuser, then I would not worry about it.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  16. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Can i jump into this thread and ask for some help?

Mine is an '06F430 Spider, F1, with 46k miles.
    Recently I started catching a whiff of gas every once in a while, while driving. I thought it could be my imagination, but this week I had occasion to bring along the wife on a couple of extended drives. She has several super-powers worthy of their own TV series, and her sense of smell is one of those powers.
    She immediately picked up on the smell, and said it's REALLY bad. We tried to determine a pattern, as it comes and goes. Near as we can determine: no smell when we're full-throttle, and no smell when idling at a stoplight. But anything inbetween, the smell is persistent.

Here's the fun part; today when she got in the car as we finished at my birthday- dinner, she said she could smell it before I started the engine. So she got out and walked around and sniffed around. Ultimately she pin-pointed that the smell is strongest COMING OUT OF THE SLOT WHERE THE SHOULDER BELT EXITS! Crazy, yeah?

So recognizing the proximity to the location of the fuel tanks, I lifted the clamshell and the top so she could smell in there, and she said she could smell it there too.

So: is this likely the fuel pump leak, as described above? Or are there vent-valves on the fuel tanks that could be broken? Or?

I'd appreciate any insight. It'll probably be a week before I can look at it again, but im'a try to tomorrow evening.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

17. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Replace both pumps.

18. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    JB weld the tops, epoxy is not strong enough

19. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Thanks, Gentlemen, for your replies.
    I'll dig into it and see what I find when I get there. If I find what you've indicted, I'll be tempted to try the JB Weld remedy for a temp-fix while I wait for parts to arrive. (There are only so many good-weather driving days left in my area, I don't want to squander them! haha)

20. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Maybe I'm overcautious but if my 360 started smelling like gas, I would absolutely and unequivocally stop driving it or even putting the key in the ignition until the problem was permanently resolved.

Using some sort of glue is not such a hot idea. If you fail to actually seal the leak, you might be looking at a completely destroyed car and potentially garage, house, neighbors, etc.

Don't mess with gasoline. It has no sense of humor whatsoever.

Apollo 11 and Red 27 like this.
  21. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Thanks for the words of caution. Very much appreciated. And noted. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

EastMemphis likes this.
  22. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Couple of comments:
    -There are some recent posts on cross reference numbers for Bosch pumps. I recently bought one on E Bay for $180 and it is the updated exact same pump as was installed. If you can't find them, I can dig them up for you.

-If you're going to do the temporary fix, I did and used gasoline proof epoxy from Auto Zone. Cleaned the regulator top with carb cleaner, then carefully roughened the surfaces with a Dremel tool and jewelers files before filling with the epoxy. Lasted leak free for two years.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  23. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I gooped jb weld onto the top of my driver side pump and drove it for 3 straight days...no leakage at all. But, obviously, order the pump and replace. My 2004 360 spider's pumps both went bad at 40K miles. cheers!

jag-oo-r likes this.