Just joined the Mondial Club | FerrariChat

Just joined the Mondial Club

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by dmarti02, Sep 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dmarti02

dmarti02 Karting

Jun 22, 2014
    Haverford, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Hello All, thougth I would introduce myself. Just took delivery of my first 3.2 coupe!! Very long time lurker, perhaps one of the few that's always longed for a Mondial over all other Ferrari offerings. I always been intrigued with odd and usable exotics (Aston Martin Lagonda, Alfa Milano & 164, Maserati Quattroporte and Biturbos, to name a few).

I was fortunate enough to purchase this from another FChat member and sponsor, M Brandon Motorcars. Went above my budget (of course), but was warned by my neighbors who have been active Ferrari owners in the past and other folks I reached out to, that finding a sorted example is worth its weight in gold. From all indications, this is a very, very well sorted car with loads of service and history. Very pleased!! Michael was outstanding to deal with and very up front. I also liked that the car was well driven, another tip received.

Thanks to those Fchatters that also helped answer some questions!!

This is my first Ferrari. Even growing up in the car business, never drove or sat in one, but always lusted over them. Here some of my very initial impressions...

1. Much smoother and tighter than I would have thought. Engine, suspension all felt well balanced and sweet. For an 80's car, I wasn't expecting this level of quality in that deparment. Also helps to have a well cared for example.

2. I'm 6', seating position is excellent, again, better than I anticipated based on reviews. Seats are hard, but not in an uncomfortable way.

3. Obviously loves to rev, but is not slouch in the torque department, really impressive powerband.

4. Clutch well weighted, not too stiff at all. Shifting is definitely something that you need to pay attention on...in a good way. This example 1 to 2 shift felt just find cold as well...I was expecting challenges there, but I guess it's not all that cold yet.

5. Steering absolutely wonderful except at dead stop (my weak arms will benefit!).

6. Windows not notably slow in operation. Again, not sure why, but they work well and were perhaps upgraded at some point.

I was nervous finally pulling the trigger concerned that it wouldn't live up to my expectations! Not the case at all. Two cars that did let me down were a 1999 Porsche 996 and a 2007 Maserati Qporte. Both were pristine examples, but just didn't create the excitement I had hoped for.

All controls work except the power mirrors and one or two of the control lights in the console warning panel.
    Here's a few initial pics.

I look forward to participating on the forum!!

Best Regards,
    Doug
    Haverford, PA

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Congrats Doug! Beautiful car! I have a twin to your car and absolutely love it! If this is the car I'm thinking of, it was purchased by another Fchat member named Mark Harvey from the original owner in the Bay Area (Mark then drove it 7K miles back to Connecticut!). Mr Brandon purchased it from him last year and the car then went to Houston. It looks like the car is now in Pennsylvania. This particular Mondial has traveled a lot of distance in the past few years! ;)

Again, congrats! You've picked up a great example of a low-production classic.

2cam

dmarti02 likes this.
  3. dmarti02

dmarti02 Karting

Jun 22, 2014
    Haverford, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Thanks 2cam! That is in fact the car. I touched base with Mark as well. One of the things that attracted me to car was his ownership and then Michael's. Two documented long distance drives and service to get her up to snuff. I figured if they both trusted the car, it couldn't be all that bad! Bought sight unseen with no PPI. My gut paid off this time. For instance, I liked the 91 euro coupe that just went through BaT. Got the exact opposite vibe on that car.

4. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    dmarti02 likes this.
  5. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Welcome to Fchat! Love the coupe...

dmarti02 likes this.
  6. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    dmarti02 likes this.
  7. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Congrats, Doug! Your first impressions are almost identical to mine, as is your car. It is a glorious machine, isn't it?

dmarti02 likes this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Awesome car, look forward to hearing about your experiences.

A warm welcome friend.

dmarti02 likes this.
  9. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I'm reading only 87 of the 3.2 coupes were imported to the US. That's a rare animal.

jjmalez and paulchua like this.
  10. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Now make sure you wear it out. If anyone wants to look at a Ferrari in the garage they should buy a poster.

19ken96 and dmarti02 like this.
  11. dmarti02

dmarti02 Karting

Jun 22, 2014
    Haverford, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Doug
    No worries on that front. Garage queens are a pet peeve of mine. She will be rotated with the rest of my drivers, my 1991 MB 300SE and a 1969 MGB GT (also a Pininfarina design).

That said when she's not being driven, she'll enjoy the comforts of my carpeted garage!!! Yes, it's as bad an idea as it sounds, but I love it!!

12. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Interesting choice, I considered as alternatives the same quirky cars you also considered before landing on my Mondial 3.2 cab. I enjoyed the hunt for the right car, and 15 years later still thrilled with the Mondial. It has been quite usable, commuting, running errands, and just pleasure driving. It is a good mechanical feeling car, but still comfortable enough and tractable to use as a regular driver. My car is a Swiss model, which has slightly taller gearing. The ability to tool around in town with the torque of the engine was surprising to me at the time as well.

Very reliable, although I have been proactive with eg. aged rubber hose replacement, and looking after very small things over time.

It looks like you also found a very nice example, so enjoy the drive!

dmarti02 likes this.
  13. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    The 3.2 Coupe is the most desirable Mondial, in my opinion.

Curious about the framed pictures on the garage walls.

Is there a theme or a story behind them?

Joe

14. dmarti02

dmarti02 Karting

Jun 22, 2014
    Haverford, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Hi Joe, thanks for noticing! So, since I've been about 13, I've collected car brochures and ads. Around that time, each manufactuer used to have an 800 number to request more information. I used to pretend to that I was much older and request they send them to my house. I then supplemented them with some ebay finds and those I grabbed from dealerships. Since they sat in boxes, I decided to frame them...any time I find an old frame, I put another one up!

There's also a few old owners manuals up there, those that I collected when my father was a car dealer. I even have a collage from with his old dealer stickers and his original Manhiem card from the early 70s.

Only two Ferrari items up there, an original Mondial 8 brochure and an old article on the 3.2 Coupe I cut out probably 20 years ago!

15. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Doug,
    Congratulations for going for it! I have an 85 QV coupe and it is the most fun car I have ever driven. It is great on long drives. I have done all day drives and at the end you still feel fresh and not at all stiff especially in an old guy like me. But then, it is just as fun to take on a short spin just to put a smile on your face. And with the virus problems, most organized drives have been cancelled so I'm mostly on my own. I wish you many years of enjoyment.

The issue with the slow windows is because of the congealed grease used on those now 33 year old cables. It hardens inside the gears of the window and motor which makes the motor have to work very hard to overcome the resistance. The only way to fix it is to take off the door panels and take out the cable and motor mechanism, soak and scrub the grease away, regrease and reinstall it. It is ultimately a pretty straightforward process but not for the faint of heart or a clutz like me. I was lucky to have an engineer friend for a visit and he did the job. I took photos and posted the process here on the forum. Here is the link:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/passenger-window-motor-2.503008/#post-144688279

Ultimately, even with the cleaning, on the driver's side door, I did have to install the booster as the original motor had been worn down by the year's of effort.

Wishing you good luck and many years of great driving.

Gerald

16. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    Congratulations! I looked hard at Mondials but found a really good 348 for not much more. As I said during the search, "hey, it may be the bottom rung of the Ferrari ladder, *but it's an extremely nice ladder that most people will never set foot on*" Seriously, they're solid cars if they weren't neglected and don't get anywhere near the respect they deserve.

jjmalez likes this.
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Bravo! Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmarti02 likes this.
  18. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    WOW that is an amazing car!!! I'm most jealous!

dmarti02 likes this.
  19. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    dmarti02 likes this.
  20. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Welcome to the club! Really nice car you have there!

dmarti02 likes this.
  21. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    nice car. ,,?

Malta Bella.
    Muey Hermosa

❤️