F8 - New Jersey Port | FerrariChat

F8 New Jersey Port

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Glenn Quagmire, Aug 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glenn Quagmire

Glenn Quagmire Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    I’m left a bit confused about what happens when a car arrives at the port, when the dealership takes control of it, and how long it takes to get it on a truck? My car was shipped from the factory at the end of June, and according to the dealer, arrived at the NJ port a couple weeks ago. I was told it would arrive at the dealership early last week. However, yesterday came with the news that it was more likely going to be middle of this week now.

I can’t help but wonder about the veracity of what I’m being told. Does Ferrari still control the handling/off-loading/shipping while at the port? How are cars processed and when does it officially become the dealer’s responsibility? It occurred to me when they said they had three cars there, that perhaps they were waiting on separate shipments to arrive and then the cars would be collected and shipped to the dealership. However, if Ferrari is still in control of the cars and handling shipment to the dealership, maybe they have to fill transporters headed in certain directions before sending them on their way?

2. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I don’t have any inside information other that watching other delivery timelines and my own. Seems under “normal” times and circumstances most cars spend about a week in NJ before being transported, I’m sure there are many things that effect the timing of that. My car should be hitting the port in the next week or so.

Glenn Quagmire likes this.
  3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    There is also variation in how long it takes to be shipped to you because they try to ship a load to multiple dealerships is what my SA told me. He said here in Austin we are generally at the tail end of the shipments for Texas. So yes, your car may wait longer for some other car to be shipped with it to the dealerships on the route.

4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The final weeks are the longest. Hang in there!

5. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    It normally takes 1-2 weeks to get a car from the port to our dealership and we are in Michigan. Almost always the next dropoff point for the trucking company after us is Lake Forest and Continental. We are expecting a car in a day now and likely 2 more a few days later but they will come on another truck. Your dealer should be able to give you your car's current status code. Status 91 means it made it to the Port and Status 92 means it is on its way to the dealership. I will keep a lookout for your car :)

jm2 and Dicecal like this.
  6. Glenn Quagmire

Glenn Quagmire Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    Thanks, this is helpful! I’m told it’s 92...

jm2 likes this.
  7. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Great, it is definitely on its way to your dealership then.

jm2 likes this.
  8. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    My times at the port have varied from 2 Days to 8 Days. Surprising that the 2 Day turnaround occurred in a early January snowstorm and yes I called FNA to inquire about the storage of the new cars and was told inside without exception.

9. Marc Goldstein

Marc Goldstein Karting

Jul 3, 2018
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Briarcars
    Didn’t check today but was still in NJ last night, waiting sucks, I am trying to coordinate car coming in and going directly to be clear wrapped. Let me know when u hear urs is leaving Port.

10. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No status update for me today, hopefully by Monday.

11. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    My Pista coupe had arrived to the NJ port on Dec 23rd 2019 so, was hoping to bring it home for Christmas since my dealer is about 45 minutes from the Port. The car didn't get dispatched to the dealer until Jan 6th 2020. I took delivery that Friday Jan 10th.

My sales manager told me that FNA has complete control over the cars being released to transport, at which point they are considered part of the dealer's inventory. The delay for my car was due to the fact that FNA had met their quarterly quota for 4th qtr of 2019, hence my car was being held for the 1st qtr of 2020. It makes sense that they manipulate allocations, orders, and deliveries, to meet their quotas, deadlines, etc.. since they are publicly traded.

SoCal to az likes this.
  12. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    In 1985 I was the importer of a New Ferrari 512BBi. It arrived at the Jacksonville Port in Fl. per notification. The car initially was taken to an island of sorts off of Jacksonville to undergo the Security walk around series of inspections to include K-9's for drug detection which took from 7-10 days. Next was the Port of Jacksonville for release. I inspected the car in port, drove it for the 1st time with EU specs., then per prior arrangements elected to have the car to be transported immed. to Georgia for work per prior contracts to be done for EPA & Dot cert.. I could have made arrangements to have the car delivered, but did not want to toy emotionally with having it removed for the 6mo. of conversion.

13. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Status 92 today

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Sorry to chime in a bit late in this thread.
    Can anyone explain the customs process.
    I would guess that the cars have to be inspected before they can be delivered.

Do cars go to FNA in NJ?

15. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I think my car may hold the world record from status 92 (Aug 24th) to status 93 today (Sept 8th). Hopefully that does not mean my car incurred and shipping and/or handling damage....

16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Rob- on Sunday a group of us are getting together to celebrate the arrival of my buddy’s SVJ and another who got a Senna. Coffee Bean at 7:00 am Gainey Ranch, where the old C&C used to be. Next to Pomo. If you car arrives, come by. Will be fuN.

17. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Sounds good Sam... we’ll see how the week plays out. If I do miss ya this Sunday, hopefully the last time...

The last few weeks have been painful!

SoCal to az likes this.
  18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I know. Been there done that. Lol

19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I don't think you really want to know. Just enjoy your new Ferrari.