F1 Transmission Shifting Characteristics | FerrariChat

F1 Transmission Shifting Characteristics

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by JM280z, Sep 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Hi All,

Regarding a 2007 F430 F1 with 8900 miles:

I have only owned the car for a month. I floored it from a stop for the first time, without launching it. The clutch was slipping until about 3000-3500 RPMs, but at that point I felt the clutch engage and the car went. I was in race mode.

Should it take so long to grab? Should I not have floored it from a stop in first? Should I always launch it, but not necessarily at peak torque RPMs?

I am learning to operate the F1 correctly, so I also shift into neutral when approaching a stop once I am at the bottom end of 2nd, then shift into first when the light turns green. Any other advice would be appreciated!

Thanks for reading.

2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    From a stop be gingerly and let the 1st gear engage prior to giving lots of revs. You will feel it engage. Then you are good to go.

3. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Agreed, tap the throttle so the clutch engages then ease onto it

4. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    What does "without launching it" mean?

5. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    "Without Launching It" means, not holding the brake, revving to 5500 rpms, then releasing the brake, then flooring it. (I believe that is the F1 process).

True manual launch is being in first gear, clutch in, revving to peak torque RPMs, dropping the clutch, then flooring it.

The equivalent in a real manual to what I did in the F1 F430 is, easing the clutch out from a stop while simultaneously flooring it. Not good on a clutch... but launching it isnt good on the drivetrain.

Ray Smith likes this.
  6. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Ah, I see. That's what we used to do when drag racing a car with a slushbox. When drag racing a manual, depending on whether the car was horsepower-limited or traction-limited, we would rev to the torque peak and side-step the clutch.

Thank you for the explanation, sir.

7. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    These cars are not drag race cars and you will be replacing that clutch really fast if you do the drag launch much. As stated above, give it enough throttle to get the clutch engaged and then hammer down on it. That may be the single most important factor in having a long clutch life with an F1 system. I would be surprised if you didn't smell a lot of clutch when you did that launch. Neutral when pulling up to a light might make you feel better but I doubt it helps in the life of the clutch. While I do that in a true stick shift car, it is more about my leg and not wanting to just hold the petal down. I don't do that in F1 cars. That being said, I also feel there is zero down side to putting it in neutral as you come to a light, so if it makes you feel better, go right ahead. Just keep driving and enjoying the car.

V4NG0 and 2NA like this.
  8. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Thanks Merlin, that was a great writeup. I appreciate your help.

9. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Does anyone know what the "Launch" button on the 458 does vis-a-vis the clutch?

10. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    That car has wet clutches and other than the stress of a really hard launch, I see no reason not to enjoy it. It should have zero effect on clutches.

11. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Would you consider launching an F430 to be too harsh on the clutch? On the drivetrain?
    A 911 Turbo can be launched all day with no concerns. I am not sure about a dated F430.

12. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    F430 is a different story. It will eat a lot of clutch material doing hard launches. Using LC or just your foot. I don't recommend it in 360s/430s.

Mor likes this.