carbon ceramic disk rotors wear worn out | FerrariChat

carbon ceramic disk rotors wear worn out

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by youn22, Sep 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. youn22

youn22 Rookie

Sep 9, 2020
    korea
    Full Name:
    kimdoyoun
    Dear Engineer, I'm a Ferrioner living in Korea. I have a question, so I'll ask. Currently I own a California model year 2010. This vehicle has a carbon ceramic brake option. I'm currently running 5.2K. Can I get rid of the brake pads crazy quickly when the wear rate of the disc rotor is high or the lifespan is over? In fact, after replacing with a new pad, the brake pads wear out about 4~5 full brakes. I really don't understand. We would be very grateful if you let us know what symptoms are there when the disk rotor is at the end of its life.

2. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Worn rotors on the CCM are rough and delaminate. They should be smooth like glass. They can have some life left of a little rough or pitted.

You can weigh them to check but visually if they are rough they are done.

Rough rotors will eat pads. That’s said I had rough rotors that I replaced. They did eat pads but no where near what you are describing. As you can see here mine were done.

It’s an easy DIY have a look at my prior thread.

What pads are you using? OEM?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

MalibuGuy and whatheheck like this.
  3. youn22

youn22 Rookie

Sep 9, 2020
    korea
    Full Name:
    kimdoyoun
    디스크 로터면이 거친 편입니다 거칠거칠합니다. 뒷쪽은 유리처럼 반사되고 매끄럽습니다

앞쪽은 조금 거친편입니다. ebay에서 조금저렴한 900$ 의 458패드를 구입하여 풀브레이킹 4회만에. 패드가 모두 마모되었습니다

내일 캘리포니아 정품 패드를 사서 바꿔 볼 생각입니다. 너무걱정됩니다. 이번에도 브레이크패드가 없어져 버리면 디스크로터를 교체해야될까요? 보통 카본세라믹 디스크로터는 수명이 없는것으로 아는데. 제가 알고있는 것과는 다르군요

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Can you reply to that Mick? :)

5. Mafiaboy1975

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    ymmmm........welll....actually......almost.......no sorry lost it:)

6. Mafiaboy1975

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    = The surface of the disk rotor is rough. It is rough. The back is reflective and smooth like glass

The front is a bit rough. I bought a 458 pad for a little cheaper price of $900 on ebay and took 4 full breaks. All pads are worn

I plan to buy a genuine California pad tomorrow and change it. I'm so worried. If the brake pads disappear this time, should the disc rotor be replaced? Usually, I know that a carbon ceramic disc rotor has no life. It's different from what I know

It sounds like to me you have a calliper problem and may have damaged the rotor if the surface is rough and the back is smooth. perhaps the pistons are not releasing on that side of the calliper, did you inspect and clean them when changing the pads? that could causing heat and delimitation of the rotor and the pads are being burnt off.....can you post a picture for us. the 458 pad and Cali pad are all the same to my knowledge.....$900 of eBay is a bit steep....I got min for 600 a pair from Ferrari Notingham ( via eBay) in the UK. Also do you have tire pressure monitors? what is the temperature they show when you riding, this can tell you if there is overhearing there? if they 100 degrees than I'm pretty sure those pads are over 1000 degrees. that can finish them in a few clicks and hard braking. I smashed a pair of pads like that in about 250km.

The other alternative is just go past ferrari if you have one close by and ask them to take a look....cheaper then $900 I'm sure.

MalibuGuy, whatheheck and vjd3 like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I'm confused, but will try to chime in. Maybe someone can help fill in the blanks.

How fast has the new pads worn out?
    Which pads are worn?
    How much is left on the pads that are not worn?
    How many km on the discs?

I will gladly chime in if anyone have some clear answers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Like the other posts, I think you are better off using the OEM recommended pads by Brembo. When I owned a California, there was an issue with excessive brake noise and my dealer changed my pads under warranty (very unusual).
    If you aren’t tracking the car, the rotors and the pads should last a very long time. I drove my Cali 67,000 miles and never had to change the pads. The front pads generally wear at a faster rate than the rears. And the rotors will usually last 2 pads.
    On my 458, I changed the front pads around 100,000 miles. I bought OEM at that time.
    In all Ferrari’s with the Carbon Ceramic brakes, the computer will alert if the rotors are in need of replacement based on a software calculation. And the pads do have an electrical wear sensor, but it is better to just visually measure the pads and replace before the wear sensor alerts.
    If the surface is pitted and irregular then the rotors need to be replaced. If you don’t know what to look for then bring them to your service center. An experienced technician will be able to tell right away. In the absence of visual abnormalities, the mechanic can remove the rotors and weight them. If they are below normal then replace.

And of course, see how well the brakes perform. If you are still unsure let an experienced technician do a test drive.

whatheheck and russellmcg like this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I have to ask, how does a set of pads last that long? I'm impressed if OE pads last 5000 miles. Are you crawling around at 10 mph?

10. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    5000 miles? Is that a misprint? My pads have over 6000 miles and they measure 10mm front and 9mm rear.

11. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No. Three 3 hour track days and daily use will do that. The Pista pads lasted 4000 km. I understand a Cali is different, but 20 times what I get with a bit of tracking? With no track time I see 10-15k km on OE pads including the Lusso. I don't know anyone personally whom get over 20k km. 80000 km would mean stacks of pads and 2-3 sets of discs.

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Track use is a different animal
    Yes three track days will completely destroy them.

If one wishes to save money, swap out a steel rotor and pad.

But of course for the best performance on the track Carbon Ceramic is the best. Obviously in F1, this is the reason why every team uses this technology. I don’t hear about teams complaining about why they need new pads and rotors

My daily driving is a bit unique. My drive is probably one that most people have seen a glimpse of . A spectacular road next to the beautiful pacific coast, which winds and cuts thru some majestic mountains. You’ve seen my drive to work in countless movies, commercials, then magazine shoots.
    In fact I see film and photo crews with helicopters. Camera mounted SUVs and crew truck several times a month.

No traffic lights or stops signs and few other cars on the road at the times I’m driving.

Back in the day, when I was young, I watched a film with Micheal Douglass and
    a beautiful rich blonde named Sharon Stone. In the movie she drove a white lotus sports car along the Northern California coast. I decided that when and if I could afford a sports car I would drive it to work since my drive was just as scenic.

That dream became real
    in 2003 with a brand new red 360. (That car had steel brakes. I Let the service center do the first pads and resurface rotors. I did the second brake job myself changing all the pads and rotors. And bled the system. As good as those steel
    brakes were, Carbon Ceramic are better.)

russellmcg likes this.