carbon ceramic disk rotors wear worn out | FerrariChat

carbon ceramic disk rotors wear worn out

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by youn22, Sep 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. youn22

youn22 Rookie

Sep 9, 2020
    korea
    Full Name:
    kimdoyoun
    Dear Engineer, I'm a Ferrioner living in Korea. I have a question, so I'll ask. Currently I own a California model year 2010. This vehicle has a carbon ceramic brake option. I'm currently running 5.2K. Can I get rid of the brake pads crazy quickly when the wear rate of the disc rotor is high or the lifespan is over? In fact, after replacing with a new pad, the brake pads wear out about 4~5 full brakes. I really don't understand. We would be very grateful if you let us know what symptoms are there when the disk rotor is at the end of its life

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi,

Letting you know there is no official Ferrari Engineer representative here on this forum. I wish.
    Your best resource for design questions is your local Ferrari dealer or write to Ferrari Corporate office.

I am trying to help with your issue but your question is not very clear.
    Perhaps you can ask someone to help you post your question more clearly so that we can try and help.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Are you saying after 4 or 5 heavy stops, the brake pads need replacing?

4. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Carbon rotor "wear" is actually the loss of resin that binds them. The rotor actually gets bigger and the carbon bits are very abrasive. New pads are ground away by the rotor at an alarming rate. I had a car do this and took a razor blade and held it against the rotor wear surface at the edge. The surface was much higher than the untouched area toward the inside edge. I was told the resin gets cooked from the rotor with use and heat and then the carbon material rises and that is what eats the pads. Bottom line is, needs new rotors.
    You will find Porsche rotor refurbishment is possible but the manufacturing process is different for Ferrari rotors and refurbishment is not possible.

5. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    There are alternatives to OEM carbon ceramic rotors available. There also a number of companies that rebuilt your rotors. Use your search engine to find the companies. The cost is better than OEM replacements.

6. youn22

youn22 Rookie

Sep 9, 2020
    korea
    Full Name:
    kimdoyoun
    [QUOTE = "tbakowsky, post : 147438640, member : 164"] 4-5 번의 무거운 정지 후에 브레이크 패드를 교체해야한다고 말씀하시는 건가요? [/ QUOTE]

예 패드가 불량인것을 의심하고있습니다