355 tail light mod | FerrariChat

355 tail light mod

Discussion in '348/355' started by Carmellini, Sep 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    Is anyone else bothered by the function of the rear tail lamps? I would prefer that all four lamps illuminate with parking lights, and all four lamps illuminate with brake. It just seems insane the way the OEM wiring was done. Has anyone rewired the bulb holders to achieve these results? Surely doable, but hoping someone has already paved the way?

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ferrari probably had to keep the tail light options to a minimum (for cost purposes) when trying to comply with the regulations of hundreds of different countries.

You would have to factor in light intensity and colour (and the single and dual element bulbs available for that intensity).

Did you find out if there are wires in the lamp holders to be rewired?

3. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    I have yet to disassemble a lamp holder. the wiring on the chassis side is pretty simple.

the outers do not have center bulb holders so those would need to be added for turn signal use. The other bulb holders can be left alone as they use both terminals for the dual filament bulbs. there are 3 pins for connection on the backside, so an additional pin would need to be added.

the inners are the opposite: they have the center holder for reverse (so those could be used for the turn signal as), but the other bulbs only use one of the terminals for the brake lamps. there are 4 pins on the backside which is perfect if it is easy to activate the pin that is currently not in use.

was originally thinking it would be easier to get 2 additional inners and replace the outers and then somehow rewire to allow the dual filament bulbs to use both circuits. but perhaps it is more logical to use all outer style and modify them to accept a center lamp socket. ????

which would be easier to modify?

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Hard to say without pulling the lights to pieces (which may be easier said than done). I recall there is a plastic plug on the light assemblies without a centre lamp, so I think it's just a matter of punching out the plug (and finding a lamp holder) i.e. if you use two outers. I think someone was looking into this before. I can't remember how the centre becomes a reflector on the US cars (is there a silver backing?)

What do you intend doing with the fog light?
    If you go for 4 brake & tail light bulbs on each side, will you ever use the parking lights? This will drain the battery faster when parked.
    If you end up with a single turn bulb (in the centre), you may have to change your hazard/turn flasher module to a Euro module (more expense). You may end up with hyperflashing if you have too few or two many bulbs in the circuit.

5. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Understood. I was just wondering if you intended to incorporate your custom rear fog light into the tail light assemblies.

7. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    ^^^^no, i was not going to use a rear fog light

if santa exists, i would want to have them behave like the Scuding lamps: all four working on low wattage as taillamps, and all four working on high wattage for braking.

just wish their system was about half price; that I could justify.

8. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I had the Scud Ing tail lights on my old 355 and they are fantastic. They are not orange like the stock lights they are as red as a ambulance light. All four lights light up, they are 3-4 times as bright as stock, the reverse light is so bright. I know they are expensive, but when you see how they illuminate the rear of the car, you will never regret getting them. They are very very high quality. It really makes the car look more modern.

GTUnit likes this.
  9. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    WOW....you had to to weigh in and make it more difficult. nice to hear they were a good addition. do the turn signals use the small clear lens as opposed to the entire outer ring of the lamp? how easy was the install?

10. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Yes they use the inner ring and it is asimple install. All connections are much better than stock and they are bright lights. I did the 3rd brake light also and that could be programed to flash if you want. Can't recommend them enough.
    The stock lights are pathetic and dates the car

11. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    FWIW: I found this in an older thread; might help??

Both the inner and outer bulb holders accommodate 4 pins, the pin that is MISSING is on the outers, because there is no center bulb position. Both holders have the same other 3 pins, but in the case of the inners the pin for the low filament side is not used and is actually cut on the inside by a mechanical process.
    This allowed Ferrari to make ONE part for both holders, and they were actually able to skip the process of adding the center contact material for the outer , thus saving design, and material costs.
    BTW, you are supposed to use the dual filament bulbs on all 4 lights, except the center position of the inners.
    In the case of my lights, I used inner bulb holders for all 4 lights, and repaired the cut traces on the 4th pin, so all 4 of my lights have running AND brake lights. The center position for the inners is the reverse lights like everyone else, but my turn signals are the center position of the outer lights with an amber bulb.

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Is everything after "FWIW: I found this in an older thread; might help" a quote? Or have you actually fixed your lights already?

Without pulling my own lights to pieces, I'd have trouble understanding what he said (either that, or I haven't had enough coffee).

Is this applicable to all cars, USA cars only, or only on cars which have been converted from USA to Euro?

13. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    LOL agreed! No, I have not done anything yet. not that talented.........I lifted that quote from this thread, post #19

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/question-for-you-355-guys-taillights.359718/

It is a bit strange, but all 4 lamp holders are stamped with P21/5 dual filament bulbs, but the outer lamps only use one of the filaments. it is explained in the above mentioned thread that this was for cost saving reasons of production. No idea about ROW models.

Qavion likes this.
  14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    My Euro-based light assemblies are also stamped with P21/5 (x 4). When you say the outer lamps on your US-based car only uses one of the filaments, do you mean the inboard red semi-circle on each outer cluster only has one filament? Or the outer red semi-circle on the outer cluster has only one filament?

The USA wiring diagram shows that both red hemispheres on the outer cluster should be dual element. i.e. the whole red ring should illuminate for tail and turn lights.

15. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I’ll double check this weekend, but from memory if you look at the euro and us wiring diagrams the brake lights are different/ almost opposite functions other than turn and reverse. (God only knows why).

You can get cheap aftermarket Euro spec lights from superformance. A bit of wiring modification and you should have what you want.

if you don’t have the wiring diagrams, find my thread on rear fog light and they are posted in there by a very kind member.

Qavion likes this.
  16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  17. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019

i apologize for my lack of clarity....it happens too often LOL

the outboard lamps on USA cars use the low watt filament for tail lights, and the high watt filament for turn signals. these are the 2 bulbs for the outer ring. The center bulb in blocked off and not used. The inboard lamps only use the high watt filament for the brakes. The low watt is not used at all. There are 4 male pins on the bulb holder, but only three female pins on the harness connector. That previous post I mentioned, explains that is was cheaper to just make all bulb holders accommodate dual filament bulbs, rather than have the inboard bulbs fitted for single filament bulbs. Easier to modify for other country requirements

18. bryanchin

bryanchin Karting

Jul 7, 2016
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    Bryan Chin
    #18 bryanchin, Sep 24, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  19. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    ^^^^^^very nice

20. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Im buying the Scuding Tail lights. I want to refresh the lenses. Why pay the same amount for OE lenses when the scuding ones are nicer, will last forever, and wont melt from bulb heat.

bryanchin, F355Bob and Qavion like this.
  21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Do the OEM ones melt with the correct bulbs?

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell