Speciale Paint Spec Question | FerrariChat

Speciale Paint Spec Question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by soulsea, Sep 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Hi,

So I’m contemplating either trading the 458 spider for a Speciale or just adding a Speciale without selling the 458.

I ran into an interesting car with no stripes but with factory two tone paint (black roof).

I always thought factory stripes were kind of a ‘must have’ option on these cars, same as the 911R, but does the two tone paint mitigate the lack of stripes from a resale POV? It is after all a $12,000 option and quite rare as I’ve been told, but I don’t know if it’s valued or not.

Thanks.

2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I think Speciales without stripes look fabulous (depending upon color of course).
    I wouldn’t hesitate myself for one second to purchase a Speciale without a stripe if I didn’t already have one and thus was looking.
    I would view it as a “super Italia”, which it is.

3. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Looks similar to this one:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer and italiafan like this.
  4. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I’m pretty sure Ferrari didn’t put stripes on any of the two tone (black roof) Speciale’s. If you chose the black roof then stripes were not an option.

5. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    No I know that ... I'm just trying to ascertain whether the two tone is as desirable as the stripes.

For example a 911R with no stripes can sell for $20k less than the same car with factory stripes, and those are just $200 factory stickers, but for some reason it matters a great deal.

6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Ive never seen any indication or dialogue around two tone Speciale being desirable or rare, in a good way.
    Doesn’t mean it isn’t, but in all the years and all the threads and discussing with dealers, it’s all about having the stripes.
    When I bought mine, it was a must have. But, get what you want. I went thru similar thinking with getting my CS. Only one answer for me...

PB033 and soulsea like this.
  7. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
  8. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    Sorry I agree with Edward, it looks naked without the stripe..

9. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    BruceC and soulsea like this.
  10. Tylercoupe252

Tylercoupe252 Rookie

Aug 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    T Porter
    As someone who was recently in the market for a Speciale, I was only interested in examples with the factory stripe. That is just a personal preference and only 1 data point. I did see two great looking examples without stripes. I did not see any black top examples and while pool of potential future buyers may be smaller without stripe, there may be a set of buyers that are drawn to it. I ended up with non red car and plan to drive it so with respect to resale my car will likely be impacted more from those two factors than any stripe. Goal is to drive it to the resale value floor ASAP.....then drive it more

FWIW, I have an R with stripes. I initially thought I would remove upon delivery as I thought stripes were just not for me but they really worked with the car. I now have three cars with stripes. Go figure

soulsea likes this.