Unofficial 308 tool kit specifications | Page 27 | FerrariChat

Unofficial 308 tool kit specifications

Discussion in '308/328' started by piezo, Nov 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ValentinoQV

ValentinoQV Karting

Jun 29, 2016
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Vannoy
    Hi All, I'm trying to complete the tool kit for my very early 1985 308 GTS QV, US Spec. (July 1984 Build). Attached are photos of the existing kit. From what I can tell I'm missing the window crank tool and the pliers. From what I've read here I believe that the pliers should be the rather limited Blue handled ones. The rest of the tools say Ferrari except for the 14mm wrench which says Utema. Would the Blue pliers be correct for this kit, and if so, does anyone have any idea where to find them?

Attached Files:

2. DigitalPirate

DigitalPirate Rookie

Jun 19, 2020
    Delray Beach, FL
    Hello Fchatters! First off thank you all for the major contributions on this thread. I'm the new owner of a #20583 ('76 GTB - early steel / carb car) and I've consumed this thread thoroughly in my quest to complete my tool roll (more on that later when I get my car back from the shop - I believe I'm missing a couple Everest spanners and some other misc. parts). However, when I obtained my car there was a tire iron in the tool roll and I was wondering if this was ever something that came from Ferrari, or if it's just something that got thrown in the tool roll over the years. Please see a picture below, there are 4 stampings, one on each of the "shafts" "7/8", "15/16", "19", "21". I'm assuming these refer to the imperial and metric sized dimensions of the sockets, respectively... which leads me to believe that this is not something from Ferrari (both metric and imperial measurements seems somewhat inconsistent with what I've seen).

Best,
    -Aron

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Definitively not from an original tool roll, and not from Ferrari. Useful nevertheless...
    Rgds

4. DigitalPirate

DigitalPirate Rookie

Jun 19, 2020
    Delray Beach, FL
    Thank you

5. DigitalPirate

DigitalPirate Rookie

Jun 19, 2020
    Delray Beach, FL
    Finally got my car back from the shop, and was able to take a picture of my toolkit. Looks like I'm missing the 17/16mm an 11/10mm wrenches, the carb tool, and the spark plug tool. Also I'm pretty sure the pliers are not original. Does my assessment seem valid?

If y'all know about any OEM correct replacements available on the market, I would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction!

Best,
    -Aron

6. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Not sure you need the carb tool? Do you have your parts book?

7. DigitalPirate

DigitalPirate Rookie

Jun 19, 2020
    Delray Beach, FL
    I just looked through my documentation, but did not see anything that I would consider a "parts book". That being said, the car is a '76 with carbs; I would imagine it would be proper to have a carb tool in the kit.

Thanks!

8. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
  9. DigitalPirate

DigitalPirate Rookie

Jun 19, 2020
    Delray Beach, FL
    Indeed! If I decide to go with reproductions there are certainly a few items I'm gonna get from Superformance :)

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes: pliers not original, missing two wrenches, the carb tool, the "Tommy Bar" spark plug tool and the window emergency crank, early version.

Rgds

DigitalPirate likes this.
  11. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

12. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    The bag is correct! :)

VetroresinaNL likes this.
  13. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Well, at least I can keep the bag as a backup.

14. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Ha I dont know enough about the later kits to judge, some of those toolss may be correct for them. I was half joking! :)

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, not to contradict you for the sake of contradiction, Robert...but I think it is not. Shape, dimension, shape of the pockets are alright, but:
    - The texture of the material seems different to me, probably a later fabrication.
    - Note also that the last pocket at right is for the pliers, instead as for the spark plug tool, so this bag is definitively not of 308/328 vintage, but almost 100% sure a later fabrication.
    As for the tools, they would "fit" in the sense that they would do their purpose, but none are period correct for any 308/328: obvious for the screwdrivers with their shorter and fatter handles in a plastic that is not translucent; as for the wrenches, never seen these "Lux-tool" before; T-Bar spark plug tool and the pliers are also not "period correct", but again more recent.
    It is a well done "replacement tool roll", with more modern tools that would fit and do their job; I know of some replacement tool rolls and have seen some, but first time I've seen this one.

Rgds

16. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I agree, I believe this to be a purpose built replacement to the original. No effort to be an exact copy, just something that will work when and if needed. I may carry both in the car and use these, especially given the value of the original. I was sharing to see how popular they are and if anyone has ever seen a set before.

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    By the way...considering this is THE thread about tools, it has now been a long time that the Original Poster who created this fascinating thread, "Piezo" has not posted...?

Rgds

18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Bruno,
    I noticed this too, since we had some private conversation regarding waterpumps and because Steven purchased a few 308 handbrake lever LED lights. He even wasn't present -logged in- for a long time. Maybe he has left HK considering the new political circumstances. Would not surprise me.

Best
    Martin

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, I hope he will chime in very soon...I do miss his posts.
    I was in Hong-Kong for three days (if I remember well...) in 1995, it sure looks to have changed today...
    How is it going, Martin?

Best

20. F308fan

F308fan Karting

May 7, 2017
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Tony Pacini
    #670 F308fan, Jan 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    I recently acquired a tool roll for a ‘308 GTB GTS Mondial 8’ (for my 1981 308 GTSi US version) and It came with what appears to be an extra tool. I’ve looked through the various photos on this thread and haven’t been able to figure out what it is. It looks like some type of emergency window crank handle, but it doesn’t look like the type shown to come with a 308 tool roll. Any ideas?

21. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    That’s a carb tool. What’s funny I work on my carbs all the time but I can’t really figure out what that does! I think it’s the same size as the carb idle adjustment ! Ha I also have 2 GT fours and two different kind of window emergency cranks and I can get either one to work!

Look back a few pages at my post on May 17 for a picture of the tool in question.

2281GT likes this.
  22. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

You can use this for removing the nuts that secure the carbs to the air box. One of the ends is the same size and the dimensions of the tool make it easier than using a ratchet and socket. Especially the front carbs.

23. F308fan

F308fan Karting

May 7, 2017
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Tony Pacini
    It doesn’t look identical to the pic you posted on May 17, and It’s larger than the other carb tool I have. The larger diameter is round (not hex at the ends). Is it a different version of a carb tool? The large diameter part seems like the handle, and the small diameter part ends in what appears to be a thick screwdriver tip.

24. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

25. F308fan

F308fan Karting

May 7, 2017
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Tony Pacini