Project Modena | FerrariChat

Project Modena

Discussion in '360/430' started by toussi1, Sep 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    2001 Modena 6 Speed with past upgrades
    Daytona manual seats

- Capristo Exhaust with Carbon Tips
    - High flow Cats
    - 19 / 20 Work Wheels
    - Pioneer headunit flipup
    - Full Range lower speakers, tweeters pulled
    - Carbon intake covers
    - BMC Filters
    - PC925 battery
    - Custom upholstered steering wheel
    - alcantara ceiling (leather removed)

Recent upgrades
    - Challenge Grille
    - Custom built 19x8 19x10 Forged wheels with bridgestone SO4 Pole Position 235/35 295/30
    - Titanium wheel bolts
    - 5x F430 style air Vents
    - Scuderia Shields
    - Removed tar material from engine panel carpet
    - Removed child saftey metal clip

Goal weight reduction and better performance without turning the interior into a carbon fiber black hole! Am I the only one who thinks aluminum trim looks good?

Coming upgrades
    H&R Springs
    Ball Joints / Bushings
    Titanium
    hardware though-out
    Carbon fiber engine panels
    Carbon fiber louver vents
    Carbon fiber battery tray

Rotors with aluminum hats and new pads

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

one4torque and brookliner7 like this.
  2. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Looks great with the Challenge stradale style wheels on there! Perfect!

Sent from my LM-V350 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Post up wgt redux progress.

4. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    Started the carbon fiber battery tray. The tray had some nice weight to it and worth doing if your goal is weight reduction everywhere. Still trying to figure out how to hold the PC925 on there without using the original hardware

First time using carbon fiber and i'm sure i did a crappy job. I used 3 layers, 2 going 1 way and the final layer another direction. Hope 3 will support it. Might toss this in the oven to speed up the curing process.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24000rpm likes this.
  5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

are you willing to sell all those oem hardware?

6. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    So managed to get the carbon part off the original metal with some work. Cutting the edges straight has been a challenge. More work to do but I plan on using straps to hold the battery in place while 3 bolts hold the carbon fiber tray. Yes it's alot lighter! My work is not pretty but if your not staring at it it should be fine. In case you are wondering, I didn't put a slot for original foot cover, because I never use it anyways, I have a physical knob on the battery to shut off so no battery drain.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Not being judgmental but that’s an awful lot of work on the tray that probably didn’t save much weight.

You would have achieved much more weight reduction with a Li-ion battery and a stock tray.

Unless of course you are doing it for fun, or practicing in an unseen location as to develop your technique for other more high profile parts.

I’m no expert with CF but I have made molds and copies of stuff. Did you lube the original part in any way before adding CF over? Also You could have made a mold of the original part first. then made the new part over the mold. Part would then be more accurate size to original.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    Overall the project was a success and yes I did this for fun. More carbon fiber parts less weight overall. Yes 1 part may not make any difference but do 20 and you will loose weight. Used some cheap straps to hold the battery, we'll see if it works, next option is put velcro as well on the bottom of the battery or design something.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login