348 - Which toolkit? | FerrariChat

348 Which toolkit?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Michael_Davis, Sep 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    SO my car ('95 Spider) came with no tools. Being the nerd that I am, I had ebayed a "348 toolkit" that was complete, if a bit battered. But now I'm seeing a different version also for a 348?

The one I have is pictured, low and wide. But there is also one that is taller and more like a small briefcase?

Which one is appropriate for my car, the low wide one I have or the taller one?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Difficult to say without seeing the contents. However, to qualify as a 348 kit it needs a ratchet, spark plug socket, extension and universal.

There are lots of threads on this already, just search "348 toolkit" or "348 tool kit" (without the quote marks of course).

3. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    It has all the proper pieces in all the right places, including socket and driver, but I'm concerned whether it is the *right* kit overall. I've searched the forum and haven't come across anything but years old classifieds for kits... that don't seem to differentiate between the two types.

4. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
  5. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    It should have the taller kit in my opinion. The one shown is an earlier 348 / Mondial T type. There are variations on the taller kits. Be sure its correct. Not sure of the spider contents.

6. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    I was afraid of that. May have to offer it for sale and look for the correct one.

7. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Agree, that's the early kit. At least by 92 they had the tall kit. My May 92 euro has the tall kit.

Pangea and Michael_Davis like this.
  8. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Perhaps you can determine which kit was originally in your car by looking at the position of the tool kit leather strap (if still there) affixed to the wall of the luggage compartment, higher or lower.

9. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    Afraid it's gone. But I guess there will be some slots for the strap I could reference. Will check in the morning. Planning on taking her out for a sunday drive.

10. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    that tool kit pictured has the wrong pliers, and i think the wrong tow hook - its too short, but also the thread looks to be too fine, the 348 & 355 tow hook has a wider thread from memory - will need to check when at the workshop, but just be cautious if you are about to hit the but-it-now button

11. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The tow hook and the pliers appear to be Ferrari but they may not be original 348 as they don't fully fill the recesses. Pic from another (tall) box:

As I do not have the tool kit, I bought a Volvo tow hook that has correct diameter and thread, fits perfectly:

Here are examples of the tool boxes in 1994 and 1995 Spiders:

I couldn't find any picture of 1995 Spider with a low box. Otherwise, the leather strap appears to be the same for low and tall boxes. For low, the strap goes down and over the box and for tall, it goes up and over.